1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius huge brake issues dealer can't figure out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IUPrius, Sep 3, 2013.

1. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have a 2006 prius that has been very trouble free and now has 103,000 miles. Last year the AC compressor went out but that's all that it has needed beyond a new 12V battery a few years ago. 2 weeks ago the ABS/Brake/! lights came on. Took to dealer and they still have it and are communicating with Toyota. Here is what they have done so far (in order) and they are still getting the same codes. Any help would be appreciated!

1) ABS relay ($160)
    2) Skid ECU ($1700) <they say it was "shorted">
    3) Brake system power supply ($800)

Error codes:
    C1313 (original code when it was taken to them)
    C1345 (showed up after Skid Control ECU was replaced)
    C1368 (showed up after Skid Control ECU was replaced)
    C1377 (showed up after Skid Control ECU was replaced)

Update:
    Day 8 (business days) of car being at dealer. They say a "team" of engineers at Toyota corporate is working on it. The dealer tech went through and documented voltages at "every point" and sent those to corporate. If they can't take care of it over phone today they will send out a field engineer tomorrow. They say they will not charge me for all of this diagnostic time ($900 or so at this point).

Latest update (veryvery very BAD)

They say that the main wiring harness has to be replaced as it must have a short in it (this comes from Toyota coprorate) and will cost $3600 to replace. So total repairs will be $6300. ($6300 that I of course do not have). They say again that the earlier replaced parts were bad and that if I were to take it as is the bad harness would destroy the parts they just put in. The car was driveable (just lots of locking up brakes so not too safe) but they say if I take it as is and drive it I'll still have to spend another $6300 to fix it later........

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I was too in shock on the last phone call to get original codes.

JMD likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! what are the codes?

3. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like they are using your checkbook as a troubleshooting tool.

Codes would help.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

4. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the codes but can ask for them.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it will help the experts here assess the situation.

6. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Error codes:
    C1313
    C1345
    C1368
    C1377

The dealer now says they have to go back through all the connections to find the one that is causing the errors to still show up. This is after being on the phone with Toyota. They say that they are certain that the parts they replaced (~$2600 so far) were all bad but the errors are still being caused by bad connection. I make my living fixing and teaching electronics so I understand basically what is going on but it seems to me odd that the codes would stay the same with all the parts replaced if they were indeed bad. I could see a connection causing an error but it seems some of the should go away? Perhaps that is the set of codes it throws up if there is not signal back form the brake system?

Again any help/advice would be welcome. They think they will have it done today or tomorrow morning.....

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately most repair shops, including dealers, troubleshoot this way - by process of elimination. Also, once an electronic part is installed in a vehicle it typically will not be removed, as it is no longer new and the condition of the part is not known until the problem is solved. (I personally would not want a part that has been installed in another vehicle installed in mine as a new part.)

The DTC's usually contain a list of possible problem areas, starting with the most probable. The usual troubleshooting procedure is to go down this list one at a time until the problem is resolved.

I agree with you that after all of the parts were replaced and they still have the same error codes that it appears that none of the original parts were probably defective.

This is disappointing that the dealership, along with Toyota technical help, has not been able to identify the problem without such a long list of expensive replacement parts.

Sorry about your situation.

Maybe some of the Prius repair experts on here can chime in and give us some feedback from their perspective.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not have the GenII Manual, but willing to speculate that the parts replaced thus far were based on a Troubleshooting "tree" or "flow chart" showing "most likely cause" by a Tech who is not good at troubleshooting or using a meter. We call this shot gunning. Eventually you will hit the target. Likely not all these parts were bad or the codes would have changed or reduced during the process. I further speculate that when they do find and fix the problem, were they to reinstall the original parts replaced up to that point, everything would work just fine. An exception is if they find the real cause shorted out the first parts changed, but then it would also short out the new parts. This is why you do not shotgun. I may be wrong...but think you are getting bit by parts changers. Let us know the final results. Wish you luck.

9. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is what I am showing in my records for the codes (I don't have a 2006 book but they should be the same)

This looks like it could be a 12 volt power supply issue. That is the common thread with the above codes.

frodoz737 likes this.
  10. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that the 12V battery or something more? They replaced the brake ecu power supply, though I'm not certain if the name is was where the relay and the skid ecu got their power.

11. BFAyer

BFAyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert on the Prius brake system.

The power supply is a capacitor that stores the 12 volt power to provide one last stop in case of total 12 volt power failure.

In my mind there is no way that all those components can be bad and you still have a problem. The dealer should have followed the troubleshooting flow chart in the book before they started changing out parts. It does not take long to check for 12 volts at a few connectors.

The common thread in the codes listed is a 12 volt power problem. I would start with the battery cables including the ground to the body and then follow the 12 volt power through the system. It could be as simple as a corroded ground. As I checked each connector I would spray it with deoxit and plug/unplug it a couple of times and move on to the next. Only then would I start thinking about replacing parts. The power supply is in the back next to the battery and can be subject to getting wet (Changing a flat in the rain, etc.) so I would look at that connector very closely.

Make sure you get your old parts back.

uart likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many times have you had to jumpstart the car?

13. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never had to jumpstart the car. The only problem I experienced prior to this was AC compressor. And the people at PepBoys screwing up the TPS when they replaced the tires (they paid the Toyota dealer to fix).

14. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The linear solenoid codes are there because they replaced the ecu and didn't perform the linear offset calibration afterwards. C1377 would be the primary DTC for me to troubleshoot. Find out what information code is setting with the C1377. Also, what was the original code before any parts were replaced?

SPH-D710 ? 2

jdcollins5 and frodoz737 like this.
  15. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They say they have been consistently on the phone with Toyota and troubleshooting this according to their directions. They are now going through all of the connections and testing and then are supposed to report that back to Toyota. They have had the card for over a week now.

They say they have checked the 12V battery and associated capacitor.

16. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the Information code with C1377?

SPH-D710 ? 2

17. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Latest update (very very very BAD)

They say that the main wiring harness has to be replaced as it must have a short in it (this comes from Toyota corporate) and will cost $3600 to replace. So total repairs will be $6300. ($6300 that I of course do not have). They say again that the earlier replaced parts were bad and that if I were to take it as is the bad harness would destroy the parts they just put in. The car was driveable (just lots of locking up brakes so not too safe) but they say if I take it as is and drive it I'll still have to spend another $6300 to fix it later........

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I was too in shock on the last phone call to get original codes.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So car must have been a salvage title car or its mouse damage. Lots of reports here of mouse damage. They find the wiring very tasty. Car is not garaged right?

To confirm mouse check the cabin filter for mouse nesting signs. That's where they are inhibited as they move into the car.
    That and in the spare tire well.

Certain area's of the country prone to that but since you didn't fill out your locale not sure where you live.

19. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, wire damage from rodents or an accident is a real problem. The dealership won't even consider looking for any damaged area, they just replace the whole set of wires. Sometimes you can look deeply into all the various nooks and crannies and see the frayed bit, and jumper around it. In that case the cost of repair is just time spent looking, as the jumpering is usually much easier than the whole replacement. That kind of looking is something only you or an independent mechanic can do, with one possible result being that you can't find anything in a reasonable amount of time. However, if you have more time than money, it is a viable way to start.

The problem areas are typically in tight places, like under the dash.

I would also say that the dealer has no real idea if the ECUs are good or bad, given the bad wiring. They are just replacing things without knowing for sure what is going on. They make their decisions based on what is most profitable for their business, not what is lowest cost for the customer.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. IUPrius

IUPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They did find what they thought was a mouse nest a year or so ago when they changed the cabin air filter. I'm totally up for looking for it myself. I repair electronics/teach it for a living so wiring is easy.

Any advice on trying to get the dealer to put the original pars back in and return the new ones? I am VERY dubious that the parts they were bad.