1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 prius:hybrid system warning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by n.koutrelaos, Jan 14, 2014.

1. n.koutrelaos

n.koutrelaos New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had no issues with this car of 120K miles until today, although my MPG has decreased to 35 MPG.The following lights came on with a loud beeping sound:Brake warning lights, malfunction indicator light, master warning light and the hybrid system warning light.
    These stayed on for 25 minutes and then went off. Any ideas?? I drove 12 miles without any issues with all the lights and sounds beeping. Thanks, NK

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The beeping sound is intended to warn you that your car's braking system is impaired and should not be ignored. You need to seek immediate service from your local Toyota dealer or competent independent hybrid servicer to determine what is wrong with that system.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is your 12v battery? welcome to priuschat!(y)

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think, having been through the screen of lights before, the brake light was probably just one of pretty much "every light" to come on.

So, I would agree with Bisco, check your 12V aux. battery. With a car of that age, most likely that COULD be an issue. Lots of posts on the forum about how to check...

But, Patrick could be dead-on -- and if you don't listen to him you could end up DEAD too.

My suggestion is to not move the car, check the 12V battery and if it is reading poorly, replace it and see what that does to the car.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    n-koustrelaos,
    First, get the codes read as soon as possible.
    You don't want to mess with brakes failing.
    A local parts store may read them for free.

Do you know when the 12v battery was last replaced? Older batteries that are not performing can cause weird symptoms in the car.

Lastly, if it is the hybrid battery, you do have choices and can go with a rebuilt battery, or a new battery if you use and independent mechanic. Not sure if your dealer will install a rebuilt one from a third party.

Where are you located?
    You may want to add it to your profile.