1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius II FOB programming at dealer in Miami. Got some pasta for my ears ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by iomongol, Oct 21, 2013.

1. iomongol

iomongol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Long story short. Got 3 used remote from Ebay, went to a dealer to program. Dealer said that he can't program keyless entry because quote: "RF door actuator is not working". They have quote $582 to replace actuator, which is crazy (IMHO)

Facts:
    1.I have one remote that works perfectly well (came with the car). That can do lock_unlock the door, start the care without a need to put the FOB in the slot, open the car when the front door is touched.
    2.Dealer was able to program ignition, but anyone can do it within 10 minutes, so this means
    nothing. One need to put the FOB into the slot, which is annoying since the car doesn't require this.
    3. Dealer said 1 out of 3 remotes are not good (can't be programmed)
    4. Their pricing for programming is great - $100 for up to 3 remotes.

Questions:
    1.Is this a scam ? I don't understand (and wasn't able to get an explanation) what exactly doesn't work. Both car doors can be opened with no issue with the remote and locked by pressing a button on the handle, for both doors.

2. What will be your suggestion in my case ? For example I can see exact actuator on ebay for my model for $80.

Information on remotes I got: "MOZB31EG SILVER LOGO"
    In theory it can be programmed for:
    ignition with slot, ignition remote
    open/close door, opening car by touching a door handle

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    key fob programming can be a challenge. search threads here for more info than you'll ever want, and possibly some answers to your quetions if you're smart and lucky. all the best!(y)

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No need to double post, most reasonable questions are answered around here.

Do a search for "chicken dance" and you will find how to do the programming yourself. Like Bisco says, it's a lot of reading, and potentially confusing. Here's one:
    IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues | PriusChat

The short answer is that some used SKS type keyfobs can not be reprogrammed without doing a "seed reset" of the immobilizer, and that requires Toyota to get a code from headquarters, extra cost, etc. So the crowd here has had quite varying results with programming the SKS functions.

4. iomongol

iomongol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got it. Thank you. I'm a bad dancer, I would rather pay someone to dance for me.

So I might don't need a new "RF door actuator" after all. Will ask a second opinion. Only toyota dealers can do it, as far as I understand, due the complexity and additional cost involved.

Sorry about double post, wasn't sure if I'm in the right place. Also like to copy and paste stuff, I like to bake, you know. ;)

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the one fob works, then no, nothing needs replacing. The dealerships are quite variable in their integrity and knowledge, by all reports from people on PC. Many will try to sell you things not needed, and they may not really understand what they are doing in all cases.

It is perhaps easier to just get a new SKS fob rather than a used eBay special if you want to be assured of getting all functions to work.