1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Power Start Button/won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by suirp91257, Feb 28, 2010.

1. suirp91257

suirp91257 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    We have a 2006 Prius and recently when we hit the start button evreything comes on except the ready light which means the car didn't start...I then hit the start button again which shuts everything back down...I hit the start button again and everything seems to be fine, ready light is on and car is running...Do I need to have something checked or does this just sometimes happen...Yes I'm making sure I have my foot on the brake when pushing the start button....Any info would help me greatly, Thanks

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not normal. Be careful not to merely poke or stab at the 1/0 button; it can get confused by a too-brief application. Press it once firmly and hold it until the car boots up. If you are doing that and you have the brake pedal firmly pressed then the brake pedal position sensor may be faulty.

3. echase

echase New Member

You did not state if this was a one-time event, intermittent, or repeatable.

If it's a one time thing, you probably didn't have the brake down enough, or tapped the button too quick. I do that sometimes.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Original battery? Check the voltage:

You can easily check out your battery status/charging system using the MFD in maintenance mode. No tools required.
    1. Get your Prius into "Accessory Mode" - Press the power button without touching the brake pedal.
    2. Put the MFD into "Maintenance Mode" - Press and hold the "Info" button on the MFD while turning the headlights on and off 4 times.
    3. Press the "Menu" field on the screen.
    4. Press the "Display Check" field.
    5. Press the "Signal Check" field.
    6. The 12v battery voltage will be one of the items listed, it should be above 12 volts. If it is lower, either the battery needs replacement or the charging system is not functioning correctly - see step 7.
    7. Put a small load on the battery by pressing the power button again without touching the brake pedal. The voltage should stay above 12v. If it drops significantly, you need a new battery.
    8. Now get your Prius into "Ready Mode" - step on the brake and press the power button. The battery voltage should immediately rise to 13.8 volts (Your Prius uses constant voltage charging). If it is lower, the battery will never charge; if it is much above 14 volts, your 12v battery will get cooked.
    9. Shutting the car down will reset the system back to normal operation.
    If you need to get a new 12v battery, you can opt for a dealer replacement or get a better battery at a lower price at: http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html
    and install it yourself.

JeffD

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, the brake lever switch must be activated to switch into Ready. Make sure you are pressing firmly on the brake. The switch is up on the brake lever arm, and it closes when you press the brake. It is a dual pole switch, with one half activating the brake lights while the other controls shifting into Ready and D.

Tom