1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius suddenly developed really bad problems today, VSC, check engine, etc.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cgreer00, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 69,000 miles on the odometer. It has been getting great gas mileage and has run just fine. About a month ago I started hearing a bit of groaning after shutting the car off. Did some research on here and it sounded like it was an issue with the coolant inverter pump. Most said that it wasn't a huge deal and to just keep an eye on it. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that when first starting out in the morning, the car would stay in a lower "gear" for a while but would suddenly shift up to higher revs. After warming up it would run as it should.

Fast forward to today when I was taking my wife and son to the park. I pulled off the highway and I noticed that the engine was still revving kind of high while sitting at the light. Then it would shudder off. I checked the battery and it was full green. Drove for another couple of miles to the park and when I was pulling in the spot, I heard a single beep and saw the red triangle light, the yellow exclamation point, the VSC, and the check engine light come on. The car was revving kind of high as well. Checked the battery and it was all the way down to a single bar. So it went from full to empty in a couple of miles. Shut it off, poked around online, then decided we needed to get home because this is something I needed to deal with today. Started it back up and all of the lights were still on with the battery reading empty. Started driving back and then:
    • after a couple of miles the car lost a lot of power, it felt like it was only running on the battery
    • would slowly creep up hills
    • would run very quickly down hills, almost like it was accelerating without pushing the gas
    • the engine stayed on and revved the whole time
    • the battery went back to fully green
    • I stopped getting arrows showing the battery being charged, no matter how I was driving
    • the fan in the back seat kicked on
    • the battery slowly dropped from green all the way back down
    • we made it to the garage, and it is sitting in there now
    So what am I looking at here? Are all of these issues related, or do I have multiple problems with the car? Considering it is relatively low miles, I am kind of surprised that something this serious has occurred. It has been maintained religiously and I use it to commute on the highway, so the miles have been very easy. Kind of frustrated and the last thing I need is a $3000+ bill from the Toyota dealership.

Would like to hear from you all before I have it towed in so that I can make sure I am knowledgeable enough about possible issues and not get ripped off.

Thank you!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The driveability symptoms appear to indicate a failed traction battery. Does the MFD show a warning icon in the upper left corner?

If the traction battery is the issue, it should be covered under the 8 year/100K mile warranty.

3. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, there is a warning in the top left of the MFD display. The car was bought in February of 2006, so it is JUST out of the 8 year warranty. What are my options? Is there anything I can do to get Toyota to help with this. I simply cannot just plunk down $3000 right now for a new battery on a car with only 69,000 miles on it.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be amazed if Toyota does not foot the warranty repair.

Or, Move to a state with an enlightened car warranty policy.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Since when does the location (state) have any bearing on a companies warranty policy ??

6. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the car was bought on Jan 30, 2006. So it is 8 years and 1 month old. I guess I will have it towed to the dealer tomorrow morning and see what happens. If Toyota doesn't foot at least most of the bill, I am going to explore other options. I will say this though, I I get stuck paying for a new inverter pump as well as a new hybrid battery pack, this will be my last Toyota. My Nissan Pathfinder has 200,000 miles on it and has had a total of $650 in repairs over its lifetime.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Read your warranty booklet, or Google "hybrid car warranty in CARB states."

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center for help after you've consulted with your local dealer. You may get some financial assistance on the repair.
    2. Buy a used or remanufactured battery and have it installed.
    3. Pay $3K for a new battery installed by your dealer.

Yes - well, the Pathfinder uses mature technology and does not enjoy 50 mpg fuel economy, probably more like low 20s. The Prius level of fuel economy does not come for free. The electronics complexity of the drivetrain is quite high. Although Prius reliability is also quite high, this does not help you if your particular vehicle happens to have a costly problem...

Considering the Nissan Pathfinder customer base, there must be some who have suffered a costly engine or transmission problem. So if you happened to be one of those few, you might feel less happy about the Pathfinder ownership experience. Some stories can be found here for example:
    2006 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews

Regarding the pump noise that you noticed, that is from the engine coolant heat recovery pump running upon vehicle startup and shutdown. That noise can be safely ignored if you do not see the check engine light appear, after the traction battery issue has been resolved.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have the service manager assist you in calling Toyota hq for a goodwill warranty on your battery. With your mileage, I would think Toyota would cover the cost of the battery, you just have to pay the dealer for installation. I've seen Toyota step up and cover the cost many times.

SM-N900P ?

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Due to historically bad smog issues especially in southern California (Los Angeles/Orange County regions), California has the freedom to establish auto emissions requirements that are more stringent than the US Federal standards. Other states may choose to follow California or may retain the Federal standards, but do not have the freedom to establish further standards.
    United States emission standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regard to hybrid vehicles, California requires more substantial emissions and hybrid system warranties to achieve certifications, for example 2G AT-PZEV certification requires a 10 year / 150K mile warranty on the traction battery. That certification allowed California Prius 2G owners with the appropriate carpool stickers to drive solo in the California highway carpool lanes for several years, up until July 2011. So you can see this certification offered substantial tangible value to those owners.
    Partial zero-emissions vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

11. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just read this review on the Nissan Pathfinder, from the link that Patrick posted:
    Dangerous Car
    By driver1962 on 06/05/12 14:46 PM (PDT)
    Vehicle

2006 Nissan Pathfinder S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
    Review

I bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 50,000 miles on it. In about 2 years the car started shaking and vibrating on the highway. I started researching and found out this is a serious problem with Nissan Pathfinders 2005-2011. The Radiator fluid mixes with the transmission fluid and causes damage and puts i you in danger in the middle of the road. The estimate today from Nissan dealer, $10, 088 and I owe $10, 000 on the car! Do your homework. The frustrating entries about this car are all over the internet, including class action lawsuits!

After reading that, the OP should be kissing his wallet. Then again, we have NO idea yet what exactly is wrong with the OP's Prius. But it definitely doesnt sound good.
    I want to hope on the bright side of things and say its just the throttle body that had never been cleaned in 69,000 miles and the butterfly was stuck in a position. That would be cheaper than the traction battery to fix and Im keeping my fingers crossed for the OP.
    IF the traction battery went bad on a Prius with 69,000 miles, I wouldnt bat an eye on getting a new Toyota battery installed. Like other people said, Toyota may just foot most/all of the bill, being the car is just 1 month out of warranty. That would be the bees knees.

12. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will keep you all posted and let you know what happens here. Doing some research on the forums, it could possibly be an inverter issue. It seems like the "loss of power" seems to come up a lot with the inverter going bad. Maybe it's just the pump? I can hope...can't I?

13. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Yes, for the sake of your savings account, I would start hoping a LOT. It would be very rare for the traction battery to fail at that low mileage but I suppose anythings possible.

Im going to stick with my failed throttle body diagnosis, just for the sake of hoping for brighter things. When was the last time the oil was changed and who changed it? Have you verified the oil has not been overfilled?

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure to get the codes and then report back here.
    They will help point the conversation in the right direction.

Does this car sit unused alot? 69,000 miles is pretty low.
    And just before this incident, was the car sitting unused for a period of longer than a week or two?

15. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, it was a city car with the previous owner so not many miles but used daily. For me it is a long distance commuter car used 3 times a week.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So how long have you had it?

17. Cgreer00

Cgreer00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had it 10 months. Got it with 50,000 miles on it and it is about to roll 70,000. Got it from a family friend who is very honest and gave me a complete history on the vehicle, so I know it didn't have any underlying issues that weren't disclosed. I'm located in Georgia so it hasn't been subjected to cold climates or anything like that.

18. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah ha. Quite the contrary - cold climates are actually tolerated better by the traction battery; its the tropical climates where we see the traction batteries failing at higher rates. Batteries do not like being hot, it shortens their life.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    True, but this car's problem at 8 years and < 100k miles is exceptional even for a hot and humid climate.

20. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I agree. I almost wonder if its not the traction battery after all....