1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius with 54,000 miles warning lights today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by That_Prius_Car, Mar 3, 2015.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My partner drove the Prius to work this morning as he always does. So he is on lunch and sent me a text saying some warning lights appeared on the dash while he was sitting at a red light. I asked if he had any loss of power, if the battery fan was running, he said it drove normally. We bought it last summer with 44,000 miles from a Toyota dealer. They said it had a new inverter pump. It has the original 12v battery however. Though it doesn't act weak at all. No issues this winter at all.

Note, the battery in the photo is at 1 bar. I asked him about it and he said he was driving aggressively to work today, which includes a 2 mile 6% climb he said he made at a high rate of speed... Though after the exit, he has another mile to work.. So the battery should have built itself up before him parking it.

His HV battery does act weird though after it's been fully charged. I think it's suffering from capacity loss. I won't be able to read the codes till he gets home tonight. Until then, any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, it sounds like he ran the battery very low by driving aggressively and up a large hill. I'm betting if you put it in drive and hold your foot on the brake while giving it gas, you can charge it up to 6 bars and then shut it off and on 4 or 5 times and your problem will disappear.

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [QUOTE="...warning lights appeared ... at a red light ... it drove normally. We bought it last summer with 44,000 miles from a Toyota dealer. They said it had a new inverter pump. It has the original 12v battery ... Though it doesn't act weak at all. No issues this winter [till now].

[HV] battery ... is at 1 bar ... driving aggressively ... 2 mile 6% climb ...at a high rate of speed... Though after the exit, he has another mile to work.. So the battery should have built itself up before parking...

HV battery does act weird [when] fully charged. I think it's suffering from capacity loss. ...[/QUOTE]

Original 12v battery in a 2006? Really?? 1 mile fully recharges the HV battery? REALLY? Think again. Get a new 12v. And plan on more time for HV recharge. Your are stressing the HV battery with the 6% grade at high speed.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If y0u have equipment to read the codes, do so and there won't be any guess work. A HV battery failure or a failure of the inverter pump after 10,000 miles is possible. A weak 12v battery shouldn't cause the problems you are experiencing while it's on and in READY mode. If you haven't checked your oil level yet, it would be a good time to do so.

That_Prius_Car likes this.
  5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't say it would fully charge it, but build itself up from at least one bar to maybe 3 or 4 in a mile.

At first I thought that maybe the warning lights appeared if he parked the car for 5 hours with one bar showing on the SOC. But I don't think that would be the case.

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Read the code. P0A80 which is hybrid battery failure. Calling Toyota tomorrow. When he arrived in the parking lot, the battery was full and the engine was revving highly, then it stopped, and the battery within 2 minutes fell to two pink bars.

I've built a G2 Prius from the ground up before and installed packs, so I may go about this myself. I'll keep you all updated.

Strange because the car was a one owner, in mint condition, no accidents, and we bought it used from a Toyota dealership last year with only 44,000 miles. It now only has 57,000 miles. Hopefully Toyota is helpful...

Attached Files:

#7 That_Prius_Car, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    uart likes this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It has been speculated that a battery that is rarely driven and allowed to sit for extended periods dies earlier than a normal use car. You have exceptionally low miles on that 2006 and my guess is that it just "rotted away". Use it or lose it.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi TPC, are you in a carb state? Anyway, if you're not hopefully Toyota might still help out. It's certainly a very low mileage failure.

BTW. I'm not aware of the circumstances that required it, but it looks like you did a nice job with the strip down and rebuild. :)

10. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked the 12v battery today and that is still healthy.

Called Toyota customer support who then said I'd need a Toyota dealer to diagnose the issue before they could assist me.

Made an appointment at Jim Robinson Toyota tomorrow afternoon and a 100 dollar diagnosis fee.

I also have a reference number from Toyota that the service rep asked for. Made a video of how the battery acts too, I'll post it shortly. It drains down to two pink bars within 45 seconds and charges up to 4 blue bars within 10 seconds.

#10 That_Prius_Car, Mar 4, 2015
  11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to edit you video above! It goes directly into your awards presentation!

12. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh! I don't know why it did that. Is it better now?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're good for 10/150 bud!(y)

14. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not in WV. ): PA has the CARB law, and PA is only 10 minutes from me, but the car isn't registered in PA. ):

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dang, i thought imadrifter was a carb state.:p

usnavystgc and That_Prius_Car like this.
  16. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really hoping that since the car has low miles and is just a couple months over the 8 year warranty, that Toyota would be kind enough to replace it under warranty. I'm sad and mad at the same time.

#16 That_Prius_Car, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd be surprised if Toyota picks up everything. They may cover part if approached politely.

"Raising Hell" when one doesn't have a defensible position is the fastest way to vaporize any goodwill there may have been and get your case denied.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best man!(y)

usnavystgc and That_Prius_Car like this.
  19. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car was manufactured 6/06.

I know, I apologize. I won't be raising any kind of hell... I'm just kind of in a rut. I don't know what to do. Out of all my Prius', this is the first time a huge failure has happened to me.

#19 That_Prius_Car, Mar 4, 2015
  20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Better to vent here than elsewhere.

You'll want the date the care was first placed in service. In 2006 a Prius didn't sit on the lot for a week so I'm guessing an August 2006 in service date at the latest. The best estimate you'll probably be able to get is the predelivery service from Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More. My 2010 sat on a lot for about a month in 2009. I would guess a later date & let Toyota reply with the date of the first sale.