1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 FOB Programming needs--HELP!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jstar, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Jstar

Jstar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About 2 years ago I found a post for how to program the FOB for my 2007 Prius WITHOUT having to have the original FOB key. I am now in the same predicament.....I do not have an original FOB to be able to program the new FOB. I am hoping someone out there in" Prius world "would have this information.
    Thank you kindly,
    J Star

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because an electronic key is designed to prevent unauthorized people from entering or operating a vehicle you will find no easy fix for your problem. It's possible that Toyota will charge you way more than several hundred dollars to get a new functional key once you prove ownership to them. It's also possible you could Google search the hundreds of pages on the internet about reprogramming FOBs and if you have a bit of basic computer skills you could DIY a solution for around $100.

And lastly, because this is your very first post on this forum it's quite possible your intentions are to steal a Prius. So if you're wondering why people are reluctant to help you on here, now you know. But... if you work hard at learning to solve your problem and you come across as someone who is real, as well as helpful, on all the Prius Chat FOB threads, people will eventually start to trust you and maybe start helping you.

3. Jstar

Jstar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you for responding to my first posting. I am a credentialed teacher in the state of California and far from desiring to "steal a Prius". I purchased my Prius used in 2009 and was only issued one key. I purchased a replacement FOB on ebay when my fob fell apart, due to it being banged against a door (a student swung my key chain....I have since then separated school keys from car keys) nonetheless, I found a posting on this website that allowed me to reprogram the replacement fob without having an "master/original" key. I since then purchased a nice "newish" looking FOB with the black logo and I just waited too long to reprogram it, because today my key fell in the pool and is not working, it is now sitting in a bag of rice....and I am hoping to see if it works so I can use it to reprogram, my replacement FOB. But I have spent most of my precious Saturday scouring this chat room to see if I I can find that formula for programing a black logo FOB, before I have to resort to having AAA tow my car to the dealership and pay them to program the replacement FOB.

I am willing to send you my personal email and proof of who I am, and where I work and any evidence that will convince you that I am a law abiding citizen if you happen to have the magic formula I used a few years ago. Personally, I would have never gone to the extreme of stealing a car by reprogramming a car.
    Thanks in advance
    Jstar aka: Jeanette Boyle

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool, I'm kind of busy right now but will get in touch tomorrow... First, 2 questions:

1) Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks to DIY if it requires buying a computer cable on ebay to hook a windows computer up to your car and using a Toyota Software program called tech stream?

2) Does your car have SKS? A Black logo fob with no silver in the logo is not an SKS fob...

5. Jstar

Jstar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good morning Prius Camper,hanks for your response....I don't feel so alone with this problem. Good news is that this morning I reassembled the water damaged FOB with a new battery and I was able to reprogram my new FOB :) :)
    ....at least the important part the engine to work. I then used the most often posted formula to try to program the FOB to work on the door locks and I wasn't so lucky. The car door locks were acting like they had a mind of their own by clicking uncontrollably, and the old damaged FOB light was flickering. I disassembled the old damaged FOB and the uncontrollable clicking stopped..which meant a signal was being sent. Before I removed the new battery from the old FOB I tried twice to program the doors. Any suggestions? Good thing is I have an FOB that works on the engine and I just have to use my metal key to unlock the doors.
    Thanks again for an input....Jstar ( Jeanette)

6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jstar, does your CAR have full smartkey system? (is there a black button on outside front door handles?). If so, you need FOB with silver logo to have all functionality. Also, where are you located? There are some indepenant shops that can mate Smartkeys to the car for much less than the dealer. People on this forum may be able to point you to such a shop if you say where in California you are.

If your car is non-smartkey (no black buttons on outside doors) you can only add fobs to the car yourself if you have one working one already. The "chicken dance" will not work if you lose all fobs, you'll need someone with appropriate software & knowledge to add the first fob.

EVERYONE; Moral of the story, if you are down to one fob, get a duplicate made before you lose the last one.

For example, I met one lady who "never lost their keys". Well, she had her only fob in a $30 jacket hanging in a restaurant...someone stole the jacket. That $30 jacket ended up costing her hundreds of dollars + a tow.