1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius RED Triangle & yellow exclamation point in a circle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by [email protected], Feb 12, 2012.

1. chileynikolay@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive read some similar posts but I havent found one with the same problem.

I have a 2007 Toyota prius base model, it has 49,845 miles.
    Today i got in, pressed the bake, pressed the on button, and the Red Triangle appeared with yellow exclamation point in a circle, and on the lcd monitor it shows that there is a problem anda little icon of a car with an exclamation point on it.

The car drives and runs normals, fuel mileage seems to be the same, everything looks normal except the lights.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone have any ideas of what this means?
    one thing i tried to do: i took off the battery clamp and i put it back on, the warnign lights were gone, but as soon as the engine kicked in the same warning lights came on.

I would appreciate if someone helped me on this one!

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did you check your 12volt? battery

3. chileynikolay@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I bought a brand new one from the dealer about a month ago, but the car stood in the garage for about a month without being used, I dont know if that is much of a difference.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mm it maybe! you got a new one but did you really read the voltage at this point?

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    clarity needed!! did you replace the 12V battery because you had a problem after the car sat for a month, or did you replace the 12V battery and then the car sat for a month on the new battery??

if you are going to frequently park the prius for more than 10 days you need to either put a battery tender on it or get an older car that isn't so touchy feely about electrical issues.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Put that battery on a 2A charger right now, and maybe you can save it. Maybe not. You can't let the Prius sit for a month without either disconnecting the 12V or putting it on a battery tender (Battery Tender, Battery Minder, Optimate).

1 person likes this.
  7. chileynikolay@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the battery because the old one was not holding much of a charge. Ill check what the current battery load is when I get a chance

8. chileynikolay@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the battery because the old one was not holding much of a charge. Ill check what the current battery load is when I get a chance.

This morning, I unplugged the battery terminal and plugged it back in, nkw it doesnt show the warning icons anymore, hopefully it will stay that way. Ill update with more info when something changes

9. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here's a way to test the battery using the self test:
    - Without brake pedal, press the Power button once and release to enter ACC mode
    - Press and hold the MFD Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info button
    - Press “Menu” (on screen)
    - Press “Display Check”
    - Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit)
    - Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

For more details see this link:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html

PriusOwner2007 and Naurill like this.
  10. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My computer is acting weird, sorry for the double post

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What you did is called rebooting, it eliminates touble lights, sometimes! But do keep an eye on your 12V and its Soc. :cheer2:

12. chileynikolay@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no luck guys, this morning as stated before the triangle light and exclamation light with yellow circle around it was not showing then after driving for about 10 miles they turned back on again. it cant be the battery problem, i checked and its at 14.2V, i took it to pep boys and they couldnt find any codes throught their reader. :(

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    You only told us the voltage at the very last step. Let the car sit overnight and tell us the voltages at ALL applicable steps.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    14.2 then its charging.. with a bad 13 volt battery it Will keep at 14

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's the DC-DC converter voltage. It tells us that battery charging system is working but tells us close to nothing about the health of the battery itself.

To properly measure the battery voltage you have to do it while the car is NOT in ready mode. Please measure it first in "accessory mode" and then again in "Ig-on mode".

* To get to accessory mode: Begin with the car off and your foot OFF the brake pedal, then press the power button once.

* To go from accessory mode to ig-on mode just press the power button once again (also with your foot OFF the brake pedal).

Also, to make the measurements meaningful, do both measurements after the Prius has been off (not ready) for around 3 hours or more.

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A generic OBD2 code reader cannot read all codes in a Prius. Get up to Luscious Garage or Art's Automotive (SF) and they will tell you what the problem is as well as give a reasonable price for the repair.

DoctorD