1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Smart Key Programming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by adamorzol, May 4, 2007.

1. benjasik

benjasik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2008 prius and bought a used key on ebay.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to make this smartkey work with my car?

Haven't been able to get the car in "Add" mode, anyone have any tricks to make this easier?

2. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    same here,

i bought an ebay smart key that was registered to another vehicle. the dealer says since it was not a virgin smart key and prev used, it is unable to be added to the system. why in the heck could that be possible? per the previous instructions couldnt they just add it or blank out the firmware on the key to revirginize it or something? seems kinda odd that toyota would make the keys a one shot deal.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Simple, Toyota wants to sell you a new key and makes some money.

4. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ive run this up the flagpole with the local GM and part's manager. the parts manager has this to say

I have been looking into your situation. Here is what I have so far.
    Your Prius is equipped with the "Smart Key". You probably know this is more than just the standard keyless entry remote. Unlike the transponder imbedded in most keys your Smart Key is actually a tiny transmitter. It sends a signal to your Prius so that the car can recognize it as you approach the door. This requires a "pairing" of the Smart Key to the Prius' control unit. Unfortunately, once a Smart Key has been paired with its intended car it can't be un-paired. You could say the key is mated for life. Not so for the control unit. The control unit on the newest Toyotas can be programmed and reprogrammed to recognize new keys. The problem is the key will not talk any car other than the original pairing.
    I am still waiting for a call from one of the most techie people at Toyota to verify this is all correct. I will let you know when I know more.

sounds like they're pretty hooked to the system of one key one car. should i take this up with toyota itself? they talk about pairing but cmon. everyone knows bluetooths can be be paired a million times. if theyre using bluetooth as the metaphor, then im doubly calling BS.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. It's a little metal plate with a serial number stamped on it. It makes it easier to program a replacement key if you should lose one of the two original keys. (Or does it describe the mechanical key? Hmm, I'll have to go look that up.)

6. bcnbuda

bcnbuda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For the record here is my experience:

I have a 2008 Prius. I purchased a used 2005 silver logo smart key with a cut emergency entry key off of eBay for $50. Called around to 3 area dealers for cheapest fee for programming the key ($93). One dealer told me it couldn't be done. A second dealer quoted $100 but didn't say it was impossible when I explained I had bought a used key off the internet.

The service manager didn't seem to know too much about the whole process, whether it was possible and kept calling others for info some of which turned out to be ambiguous. Needless to say this didn't seem like something they do all the time. He did say that if they couldn't program the car for the used key that they wouldn't charge me the fee.

They had a blank emergency key that they could cut from my original for $12.

The end result is that they could not program the "smart key side" of the key. In other words the buttons for locking and unlocking the doors (smartly or otherwise) and the "smart" starting of the car could not be programmed BUT they were able to program the "engine immobilizer side" of the key. The service manager suggested that the "smart side" of the key might be defective. I was not in a position to challenge this assertion as I am not familiar with the inner workings of the key.

So I am able to use the emergency key to lock and unlock the driver-side door and I can stick the key fob in the slot and operate the car. So while this is not ideal it DOES work in the unlikely event I lose my "main" smart key. If I ever did I could use this "crippled" smart key to operate the car but then I'd have to be in the market for a "virgin" smart key, a more costly proposition.

Questions:

Does this sound right or did the dealer not know how to properly program the car to recognize the new key?

Are the engine immobilizer and "smart" functions of the key really separate?

What happens if the battery dies in one of these? How do you replace the battery and does the programming persist across battery changes?

Thanks in advance.

7. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Because I buy many Pruii from insurance auctions, I frequently receive the car without keys.
    Yes there are 3 computers or ECU's in the prius that interact together.
    The immobilizer ecu, the High Voltage Ecu and the smartkey ecu.
    ( only cars with smartkey will have this one)
    one sure fire method to get the car running is to replace them as a set.
    only a dealer can supply new seed numbers and it also requires the factory scan tool.
    Some high end Shops have the correct tool.
    If you have only one key....Get a spare now for only 200 bucks or whatever your dealer wants.
    making a duplicate key is 6 minutes work when the original is present..the dealer should charge accordingly.

If anyone needs help with a no key condition, Email me off list for assistance.
    I have used computer sets for sale from collision damaged vehicles.
    at least you wont have to have it towed.
    replacing the computers requires taking the dash pad off the car and is not for the faint of heart.
    Best regards, Steve Woodruff, AutoBeYours.com in Scottsburg Indiana

8. monolisp

monolisp New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps someone in this discussion could help me out? I was having some electrical problems with my 2005 prius (read: the smart keys NOT the keyless entry system stopped working). I went to the dealer and they told me to replace my auxillary battery, which I did. The smart keys still don't work and I'm wondering if either 1) its a brand new OEM battery, so perhaps it takes a long time to recharge from dead? or 2) that the smart key system programming was somehow erased? doesn't seem plausible given what I have read in this discussion, but never can be sure. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

9. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the 1st step is what I need to do. I bought a used 2007 key on ebay b/c we lost one of our key+fob.

Erasure mode:
    Used to erase all the key codes except for the code of the master key that is used during erasure mode. Use this mode when a key is lost.
    What do I do to perform the Eraser mode? How do I know when my key code has been erased?

5. RESET OF SMART KEY CODE
    HINT:

This reset will take approximately 16 minutes to complete.

Start
    Driver door is open.
    How do I do the hand held tester. Do I have to buy a hand held tester?
    :angry:
    I don't know what the next steps are until I can get past this step. Thank you for your attention, Leland Yee:angry:

Hand-held tester operation: where do I go to find this step?:angry: ​
    1. Select Prius from menu.
    2. Select SMART KEY.
    3. Select ID UTILITY.
    4. Select SMART CODE RESET.

Perform the following;
    Read SEED NUMBER of tester screen and input it into TIS.

Hand-held tester operation:
    1. Input PASS-CODE NUMBER TIS according to tester screen.
    2. Make sure on tester screen that the registered codes are erased from the smart ECU.
    Finish reset

[/quote]

Mrs.Diamond likes this.
  10. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you replace the batteries in the fobs?

11. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

12. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As far as I know, replacing a smart key requires two things -- a Toyota scan tool and a new smart key.

The scan tool is the computer that plugs into the Prius' data network and interacts with its computers. You can't program the smart key computer without it.

Second, the smart key works with a psuedo-random series of codes. A new code is generated each time it's used. It appears that if the smart key is too far along in its code series, the car will not accept it as a new key. So a used smart key will not work.

These restrictions do not apply to non-SKS cars -- see this for directions on how to program them.

13. naza72

naza72 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    to be able to program your smart key, yes you have to go to the dealer, or someone who has the dealer scan tool, not necesserly the dealer, in the old days you could program the immobilizer on a vehicle by following some printed instructions, now you defently need a scan tool, i'm a prius ceritefied master tech, so no doubt in my word.

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat naza72! Many people have had success in programming the transponder portion of the smart key using the instructions referenced in post #31. A few people have had success in programming a non-SKS keyfob for use with the buttons on the remote. Nobody seems to have succeeded with the proximity/button functions on a SKS keyfob.

The keyfob has a transponder in it, just like transponder keys. I tried a Gen1 Prius key with a Gen2, but the car didn't like it. I've since found out that the Gen1 uses a type 4C transponder, as many Toyotas of that age did. Newer Toyotas use a type 4D transponder, and I wonder if that is what is used in the keyfob?

If the keyfob uses the type 4D transponder, then a key designed for most current Toyotas (for example, the 2003-2009 Camry) could be used with the Prius. On a Gen2, you'd put the head of the key all the way into the keyslot. And on a Gen3, you'd just hold the key next to the Power button.

Are there any other Toyotas that use the laser cut key like the 2010 Prius? One of those with a 4D transponder might be usable on the Prius as a backup key. The metal blade could be cut for the door, and the transponder might work next to the Power button.

These are just possibilities at this point, but it would sure be an interesting experiment for someone with access to the cars/keys/scantool.

15. dj7u

dj7u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I called Tempe Toyota a few days ago. I spoke with Service Advisor Roger. He stated it costs $55 to program a 2007 Prius remote. Mine's actually slightly cheaper "black logo" remote that comes with the base model.

So, back in 2007 they included free programming with the purchase of the remote there?

Attached Files:

16. drhardee

drhardee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, here's my story.
    I purchased my 2008 Prius with only one Smartkey fob. My dealer told me to look on the 'Net for a cheaper replacement Smartkey (than the dealer offered). So, I searched, and found "I-Keyless.com". They sold me a silver-logo smartkey (with a blank key) for $149.00. So, I took the new remote to my Toyota dealer. After futzing with it for 30 minutes, the service writer informed me that they couldn't program it, as it was the incorrect key, and was a key for an Avalon. They charged me $50.00 for 30 minutes time. So, I called I-Keyless, and have twice heard a "mailbox full" message at the tech-support number I tried. I have emailed them, but have not received a reply. I do hope that I haven't just thrown $200.00 away for a non-working Smartkey.

17. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd be very hesitant to buy a used smart key -- as I said above, it appears that they cannot be paired with another car after a certain number of uses. The "dumb keys" (black logo fob) can be.

18. ArtsAutomotive

ArtsAutomotive New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since this thread pops up high on Google, and it's filled with the typical confusion surrounding the Smart Key, I've decided to post a response.

First things first, this topic has been covered to death in other threads as well as on our website http://www.artsautomotive.com. If you wish to read more about the intricacies of the systems, it can be found via search.

The quoted procedure does not work with eBay keys because the eBay keys have a VID already associated with them. I try to make the conceptual comparison to a real physical key with teeth: a prius smart key has its unique set of "teeth" cut to fit only one car, and the car only recognizes one set of "teeth." The car does this by comparing its VID (vehicle identification number) stored in the smart key ECU with the VID stored in the key fob itself. If the VID is different, smart key functionality does not work (keyless entry clicker and unplugged READY up).

The quoted procedure only works when the key is NEW because you're adding the VID to the blank key; e.g. you're "cutting" a new key. Obviously, you cannot "un-cut" a physical key, so conceptually you should think of it like buying a house key on eBay and wondering why it can't be made to open your home locks. When there is no VID stored in a key, the smart key ECU can just add it and the procedure is very quick and easy. When there is already a VID stored in the used eBay key, you cannot make it work for your car easily.

It is possible, however, to pair an eBay key to the immobilizer ECU. This is where you get the false sense of success, and where most shops fail. Pairing to the immobilizer can be done at home with the chicken dance if you want. You will learn that the key clicker will not work the locks remotely, nor will the key start the car without being installed into the dash. Dash-start functionality is the immobilizer ECU's job, not the smart key ECU's job.

In the previous portion of this thread, the poster outlines the Seed Reset process. This is part of the necessary procedure to pair an eBay key with your car; however, it is not simple. First, it requires a federal and local locksmithing license (which your dealership will have), subscription to TIS, and the Techstream. With those tools, you can purchase a seed value, and if you know the procedure you can SUPPLANT the existing VID in the used smartkey with the newly generated one from the Seed reset procedure. However, you cannot just "delete" the existing VID; there is no option for this.

That is why some people think it's necessary to replace keys + smart key ECU, which is a hold-over from the Gen 1 Prius days where you actually DID have to replace the ECU legitimately when you lost all keys. With a "fresh" ECU and "fresh" keys there are no VIDs stored anywhere, and when you perform the Seed procedure, every component is happy and living in harmony

TL;DR =
    don't buy eBay keys because they aren't easy to program and most people won't be able to pair them to your car

SteveWlf, babybird and infoape like this.
  19. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rebuild wrecked or damaged Prius's and have been through the smart key issues, trying to get new extra "keys" ....to work at full functions.

This info is for the average user, and will solve most new key issues..easliy

The black logo keys are not smart keys ...just basically key fobs. And can be programed by most anyone ..any lock smith, or yourself. (see programming elsewhere here)

If you have an actual "smart" key (silver logo on key).....it works pretty much works like this:

A USED smart key almost always can't be reprogrammed ....to a different car .....by dealers or locksmiths.... (let alone yourself).

You will have to buy a new smart key, and have it programmed by a dealer.
    You can buy NEW (and unused) smart keys on the internet,... or of course at a dealer.

There is no need to change any computer in the car.

I've never found a locksmith that has the necessary electronic equipment that can program smart keys.

DON'T BUY USED (PREVIOUSLY PROGRAMMED) SMART KEYS

20. clearblue

clearblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What about if you have a set of keys from a SMS and you want to program them for a non SMS prius. IS this possible?

Just to act as a regular key. Its a base prius with no SMS but it needs a second key lost the other one...