1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Turning on By Itself

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SD Erick, Jun 27, 2014.

1. SD Erick

SD Erick New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off, wasn't sure where to put this so hopefully this is the right section...otherwise sorry for that.

I've got a 2007 Prius (Touring Edition) that has almost exactly 150,000 miles now. It's had a few issues (leaking water pump, bad HID bulbs constantly...), but those were nothing I haven't been able to fix myself (though the HID bulbs make me tear my hair out).

Moving forward...my car is turning at least all of it's electronics on by itself.

I first noticed an issue when randomly I would come out and it would be dead. So I'd jump it, and it would do fine for a while. Over the past two weeks though, it's been happening a lot. Until 3 times now I've walked by it and the radio was loudly blasting the default station. It's powered up, A/C on, radio on loudly to a default station, and all the stations on the radio and clock are reset.

Before I get told I'm not turning it off properly...I am. I have been insanely thorough on my procedures after the first time, and I actually make sure all lights are off, radio is off (even just the power of the radio), and A/C is off BEFORE I go through the proper procedure of turning it off and then locking it with my key from the outside. I even put my key on the hanger and go out and check that it's locked and off after doing this.

So if we can trust that I'm turning my car off properly...has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm hesitant to bring it in to a dealership and let them start to diagnose a 'ghost' issue at my expense for their hours. Especially when it's inconsistent.

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe this particular issue has been reported before. You are correct that an intermittent problem like this will not easily be serviced at a dealership.

What is your exact procedure to turn off the car and lock it?

How far is the Prius fob kept from the car when this mysterious behavior is going on?

I think the power source control ECU is having a problem.

3. SD Erick

SD Erick New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My keys are kept at least 25 ft when I am at my house, and 30 ft from it when I am at work.

Turn off procedure is to turn off all electronics in vehicle. Hit the park button. Push on brake. Hold down Power button until everything shuts off. Exit vehicle and hold down lock and ensure I hear doors lock and confirmation beep.

Any of the times that I have gone back to confirm it was off, I've been sure to leave the key in the house or work.

It happened again last night, which was my last straw. I was taking out trash and walked through my garage and the radio on it was blasting when I KNOW I had the radio off. Stations reset, etc.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your power down and locking procedure appear to be fine.

You may need to disconnect the 12V battery while the car is not in use, until you figure out what is wrong with the car. One way is via the hood: open the main relay/fuse box, find the dedicated jumpstart terminal under the red plastic cover, and use a 10 mm socket to remove the nut there. Pull up the wire attached to the stud, which will disconnect the positive side of the battery. Reverse that procedure before starting the car.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never heard of this. The car is going into ACC by itself. Which means the Immobilizer ECU/circuit is not working in addition to going into acc by itself. Hard to believe. Does the dash show a blinking red car icon when key fob out of range? Can you go into ACC without the fob in the car. Or does it do nothing and throw a yellow key icon like it should.
    ACC is 2 ready button pushes without holding the brake down.

But to stop why are you holding down the brake and then holding down the power button to shut the car off?

Not necessary to do any of that. When you get to where you want to stop just push the power button once briskly for a second and release. Don't hold it down. And don't need to go into park.
    The car will shut off. It automatically puts itself in park.

First thing you need to do is replace the 12 volt battery. Its probably really low and very strange things happen when the battery gets low.
    That and jump starting a Prius is really bad as hundreds of posts here with people causing major damage to the car jump starting it. Major damage in the $4000 range. Do all you can to not have to jump start this car.

Upon boot up you may not have noticed the dash throws a big red exclamation point for a second. Thats the only warning you get the 12 volt boot battery is on its last legs.

#5 edthefox5, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Whoa, ghost in the machine. Sort of an X-File kind of thing. Do you have control over both of your fobs? Somebody could be messing with you.

koolingit likes this.
  7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that the 12V needs to be checked, or else put the car on a battery minder/charger. The fact that the radio and clock get reset says the 12V has gone too low. This may not be the whole issue, but does need attention.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the original 12 volt?

9. David S

David S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if holding down the POWER button is causing the problem. Lots of gadgets perform a different function when held down for several seconds. Maybe over the years the contact is worn and when you hold it down its actually making a breaking connection many time. But this is all just speculation.

Maybe just put in a new power switch. :confused:

When ever I turn my car off or on I just press it for about 1/2 of a second. 2008 with 56k miles on it.

donbright likes this.
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is the car's name Christine?

AzWxGuy and J1050 like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aren't there a lot of military installations in south dakota?:eek:

12. texaspartsman

texaspartsman Junior Member

Did you figure out your problem?
    I have a ghost starting 2004 model Prius with 190k.
    Please skip the "how did you power it down?". My last 3 prius's have been junk yard finds. I put over 12oK on a 2005 model that I fixed. It has over 300k (speedo stopped reading at 299,999). It is still going strong. I bought the car with the ghost issue from a salvage yard in Austin. It died on the owner and one of the local dealers wrote an 8K dollar estimate to fix it. They had put 2800 into the battery 4 months before and were told it needed and inverter and a transmission. They didn't feel it was worth fixing and sold it. The salvage yard offered more than the dealer. I have no idea what they paid for it, but I bought it for $1900. I replaced the inverter coolant pump, the crank position sensor, and the starter battery. The "bad" trans and inverter have been working smoothly for the last four months and over 7K.
    - Last night I came home and shut the car off like normal. I was getting some stuff out of the back seat when it powered back on. It had obviously been off because it was dark and the headlights were out. When it powered itself on the headlights lit up the garage. I powered it down and this time it stayed off.
    - This morning I got in it and I had to press the start button twice before it would power on. I drove it 30 miles and stopped for coffee. I powered the car down and the dash lights went off but the radio and the center display stayed on. I pressed the start button to shut it off and it powered back on even though my foot was not on the brake. Thinking I might be getting false signals because of a weak battery in the key fob I turned off the smart feature.
    - I then drove 10 miles. When I stopped the car I hit the power button and pulled the key out of the dash. I got out of the car and got some stuff out of the back. I then used the key fob to lock the car since the smart feature was disabled. I was walking off when I heard the engine start. The car had powered up again. This time with the smart feature turned off and the key fob in my pocket.
    - I made 8 stops after this and twice the car powered back up on its own. This was the only issue. Everything else worked fine.

I haven't started trouble shooting it yet. I would start with the power button, but how could it start with out the smart feature on?
    I also thought that maybe I had mice get in the wiring. Again, how does a car with out the key fob in it start up? Nothing makes sense.
    Unless a ghost moved in.
    The one car a person never has time to work on is their own.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you probably have a bad combination meter

14. mmeggers

mmeggers New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What did you find out?? I have a 2005 Prius that just started doing this.

15. keith770_770

keith770_770 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a similar issue. I have not read this entire, long thread. I do find it very annoying when people sat stupid things like. TURN IT OFF PROPERLY.

My issues began with the black screen problem. NOT THE TOUCH SCREEN. Starting the vehicle would rest in no speedometer no odometer no lights at all ( like none). We get around this by pulling the little white plug in the trunk for 20 seconds.

Recently, we have had dead auxiliary battery problems requiring jump start. A week ago, we were sitting in the car and it turned itself on. No we were not sitting on the key. We were on our phones, internet cruising. We immediately set it to require key insertion to start, yet it will still spontaneously start. Are there any solutions for this? It sounds dangerous, what happens if it next goes into gear on it own, without us there?

16. eyedub

eyedub New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what did you find to be the answer here? i also have a 2007 Prius with about 170k miles...it is also turning on by itself after properly powering down. Replaced the original 12v battery about 12 months ago. This problem has been happening now for a week. Any ideas?

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try arming the alarm every time you get out. See if it turns on then.

eyedub likes this.
  18. keith770_770

keith770_770 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cleaned the (2) connectors with Deoxit and reinstalled the battery. The Positive terminal was loose. This required some Dremel work as the clamps can't seem to handle a little extra loss of diameter due to battery age. It has not auto started since then.

eyedub likes this.
  19. eyedub

eyedub New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    by "arming the alarm" do you mean locking the door? pressing the 'alarm' button on the FOB triggers the alarm.

20. eyedub

eyedub New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i took another look at the battery and made sure the connectors were fine, i made sure the connections were snug and secure. however, i found the 'battery exhaust' was disconnected. not sure the overall impact of this disconnection, but i reconnected it, made sure it was secured and will monitor, report any new findings. thank you

edthefox5 likes this.