1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Toyota Prius broke down with several hybrid system codes, but shops says it's actually fine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrissy, Jun 23, 2014.

1. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius with about 114k miles. It recently had all of the check engine and dashboard lights come on during a long drive but continued to run. I drove it back home and when I tried it again, the dash lights weren't on anymore. I took it to a local shop. I had them check for stored codes and get an overdue oil change while it was there, anyway. They came up with the P0A7A code but wanted to charge a lot to look into it since it was just some little shop and they didn't have whatever hybrid system tools they needed.

So, I continued to drive it for a few days, planning to take it to a certified Toyota service center when I had a day off. It broke down before I could take it somewhere. After driving for about an hour and parking, when I came back to the car to drive back home, it wouldn't start. It was towed to the closest Toyota service center.

I just picked it up from the shop. They had additional codes. Here are all of the codes they found: P0A7A, P0AA6, P0607, C2318, and C2121. They said they then ran a complete health check and everything was fine! They ran it again and all was well. They did over 80 miles worth of road tests to see if anything would happen. The car drove fine. I asked if they specifically checked the transmission and inverter (because of the P0A7A)and they said they did, and that they were fine.

Since they couldn't find anything actually wrong, they had me come pick up the car today.

Now I'm still worried that it will break down on me and need very costly repairs since a lot of those codes seem like they involve the hybrid system. Is it possible the codes came on in error? What could cause this? Someone suggested it could be an electrical issue. I had the 12v battery replaced less than a year ago when I accidentally killed it.

Should I take it somewhere else? Should I just try to get rid of this car ASAP by trading it in? If it passed all the health checks, I'm thinking a dealership would still offer okay money for it...

I really don't know a lot about cars and don't think I could repair it myself. I'm just looking for advice on what to do next. Thanks so much!

(I posted this on Reddit as well so I apologize if anyone has already read this there)

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Chrissy, welcome to the site. When a car is throwing 5 codes & won't start everything is not "fine". It sounds like they are waiting for a catastrophic failure so they'll have a clue what needs to be replaced.

It is unfortunate that you don't have a ScanGauge so we could see the inverter or inverter coolant temp.

First, I would check the 12v battery to ensure the voltages are good. (This is like chicken soup. It may not do any good but it won't hurt.)
    Second, more importantly is to look at the inverter coolant flow. Is the inverter coolant flowing? (If you don't see turbulence in the coolant then it isn't flowing.)

If the inverter coolant pump failed (no coolant flow) then the inverter will overheat & the car will shut down or not start. The warmer it is outside the faster & more often this will happen.

It is cheaper to replace a failed inverter coolant pump than a fried inverter.

Register your VIN at Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More as your car may be covered under a recall or service campaign.

Please let us know which Toyota dealer you visited and take it to another. If the dealer is close I would go early in the day before the temperature rises or have the car towed.

I believe the car is worth fixing. Trading it in is the worst move. They'll find the codes, explain that the car is on it's last legs & coughing up blood then offer you a very lowball amount while telling you they are doing you a favor offering that much because of the astronomical amount it will cost to repair and that you'd be much better off in that Prius II or III they have sitting right over there on the lot.

Keep us posted.

3. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply! I will try to take a look at the inverter coolant flow. I'm really ignorant with anything car related, but this seems easy enough.

I read about the inverter pump recall, but when I put my VIN in that website, it does not say I am due for replacement. I don't remember getting it replaced but the shop it was just at said I already had it replaced in my car. I'm not sure that I believe them, though. Do you know if all 2007 Priuses were part of this recall? I can start finding all of my old maintenance paperwork to see if I did have that replaced, but I really don't remember doing it.

The dealership I had it towed to was DARCARS Toyota in Silver Spring, Maryland. It broke down near there which was the only reason I had it towed to that particular shop. I've had maintenece done at several Baltimore area Toyota service centers but I haven't really found one that seems any better than the others. Maybe Brown's in Glen Burnie - which is a bit out of the way, but I remember them seeming pretty honest. If anyone has suggestions for a service center in the Baltimore area, I'd love to know! I live in north Baltimore.

I made an appointment for a Carmax appraisal tomorrow just to see what they say. Since I'm under no obligation to actually sell, if they do give me a very low appraisal, I'll just leave.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! don't forget jim's advice on the 12 volt battery. is it original? a failing 12v can fail to start the car from time to time, and elude dealership notice. all the best!(y)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0A7A means that the transaxle, inverter or hybrid vehicle ECU has a problem.
    P0AA6 means that your car has a high voltage ground fault.
    P0607 means that the engine ECU has a fault.
    C2318 is reported by the shift control ECU and indicates low voltage on the 12V bus.
    C2121 is not a valid Prius DTC.

Check the 12V battery voltage when the car is IG-OFF and has rested overnight, as previously suggested. If the battery is not at fault, then if I were you I would attempt to trade the car in now.

Your car is no longer under warranty and it sounds like you don't have a very capable service department at your local dealership. You are not able to service the car yourself and (if the 12V battery is not at fault) it has at least one serious issue that eventually will come back and will cost you easily in the low four-digits if not more.

Good luck.

6. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    The 12v battery was replaced last September. It died during a camping trip when a friend of mine left his phone charging too long in my car.

7. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the advice! I personally don't know how to check the 12v battery voltage but I can probably find a friend who can.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just about guarantee you your 12V battery is bad, weak or discharged.

9. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that would actually be a huge relief! I wonder if there is a warranty on the replacement battery I had put in since it was less than a year ago. I'll start looking into that and finding someone to help me test it.

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My recommendation to you would be to go buy a battery charger similar to this.
    Schumacher SEM-1562A Battery Maintainer and Charger - Walmart.com
    And hooking it up overnight (or longer). Idk your sked but, If you get home from work about 6 or so, hook it up then and leave it on overnight. This charger is fully automatic and if your battery cannot be charged (or is bad), it will tell you.

You should also know that many dealers and shops cannot properly diagnose a bad 12V battery in a Prius. The only real way to test it is to try to charge it and see if it will take a charge. You can take a voltage reading on it but this will only tell you the currently present voltage and not if its bad or not. If you recently replaced it, it will likely take a charge and you won't have any more problems (besides maybe having to charge it periodically.

#10 usnavystgc, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this what you all mean by turbulence in the inverter coolant? I uploaded a little video of my reservoir after a 5 minute drive while still in ready mode: https://vidd.me/NgE

I found out that I can get my battery checked at Advance Auto Part or AutoZone so I will try to get it checked tonight. I called the service center that replaced my battery last year to see if it is under warranty and it is. So, if the battery is bad I should be able to get it replaced for free.

Thanks again for everyone's input! I am so ignorant with cars but I feel like I am learning a lot and I really appreciate the help.

12. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to take it to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts tonight to get the battery checked. I just saw on the AutoZone website that they can also do a quick charge. Should I ask them to do this? Is there anything specific I should be looking out for?

I would maybe buy that tool and do it myself, but I live in Baltimore city without a garage. I'm pretty sure I'd come back to my car to find nothing left under the hood!

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, you could take it there I guess but, I put very little faith in those guys. They're usually an 18-22 yo with no experience. A quick charge isn't gonna do much but would be better than nothing. Is the car starting and running fine now? If so, would there be anyway you could park it and leave it on for at least 3 hours? The engine will start and stop but, the 12v battery will be charging the entire time. Or, would your car be gone if you did that?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure Autozone would remove that battery from the car to get it charged up. They probably can check the battery while it's in the car, they probably won't remove it to charge it. Their charging system is usually a "fast charge", lots of amps, done in 30 minutes. I probably would suggest you don't get the fast charge.

15. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, the car has been running ever since I got it back yesterday afternoon. I've driven it to and from work, which is only about 12 miles each way. No dash lights are on. I am just terrified that it is going to break down again since the service center didn't actually do anything.

I could probably leave it running for 3 hours in the parking pad behind my house as long as I hang out in the backyard near it.

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you could do that, and your battery is good (which it sounds like it is), That would likely fix all your problems. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief. I'm betting the bank this was a weak 12V battery and your car has charged it to a sufficient level. Now you just need to charge it the rest of the way. Letting it sit running for 3 hours is not the ideal scenario but, in a pinch, it will do for now.

17. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So tonight I did a couple of things. First, I got a Carmax appraisal just to keep the idea of a trade-in as an option. They appraised it at $5000. Which is lower than KBB value, but I have had a couple of accidents and some cosmetic damage. They didn't find anything mechanically wrong with the car.

Secondly I got my battery tested at autozone. It came up as 12.3v with 83% charge, so I think it's good? Although, I had done some driving today. I think I will still leave it running for 3 hours.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't sell it to carmax. Let someone here buy it at that price

SM-N900P ?

19. chrissy

chrissy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh, I don't want to trade it in or sell it all for that low. I just wanted to see if trading it in would even been an option. Since the appraisal is so low I am not going to go that route. But I think it's a good sign that Carmax didn't find anything mechanically wrong. Now I just need to decide if I should get a 2nd opinion from another Toyota service center as to why it broke down since I still don't know.

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three