1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius shifts back to neutral & won't stay in drive/revPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 am

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elenah21000, Aug 14, 2009.

1. elenah21000

elenah21000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had this Prius for less than 30 days. Monday I get in the car put it into reverse and it goes into neutral. I had to keep the gear shift pushed up to make it go in reverse. Then I tried to put it into drive and same thing I had to keep the gear shift pushed into drive to make it go forward.
    I then parked it and called the dealership. They had never heard of such a thing.
    Made arrangements to to have it towed the next day. Of course that evening I started the car again and it did not do it again. I took it in anyway and they could not duplicate the problem.
    It has happened about once a day since.
    Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

2. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep a video camera in the car and tape it next time...

Steve

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the odometer reading of your car? Is it still covered under the 3 year / 36K mile warranty?

My idea is to replace the gear selector lever mechanism. This problem has been reported by a few other posters.

I had the opposite problem, where the selector lever, when moved to R or D, would remain in those positions rather than spring back to the resting position. This meant that P could not be engaged. I replaced the gear selector lever, which is a pretty easy job. However that part costs around $300. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  4. OkieFlyGirl

OkieFlyGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this same problem happen with my 2007 Prius just the other day. It was a 95 degree day, and I left my Prius running while I ran inside 7-11 to buy a soda. I came back out, flipped into reverse, and *bang* right back into neutral.

I held the shifter in drive and drove around the block a few times and eventually it corrected itself.

It happened two days later while I was on the highway. I had switched into the B position to slow down just a bit, and when I switched back to drive, I felt the engine die under the gas pedal and it slipped back to neutral. Had to hold the shifter the next 15 miles, and it wouldn't even go into PARK. Eventually, the same thing - I just drove around, releasing the shifter every now and then until it stopped.

I brought it to the dealership today, and they said I had a 'low voltage error' that was causing the problem. They completely refilled my battery (I assume they meant the little 12V in the front), and said that this should fix the issue.

I will certainly update if it happens again, but they seemed pretty certain that the problem would be solved.

5. jcstone

jcstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This just happened to me with my 2004 prius. I was pulling onto a highway and suddenly it wouldn't go. This could have caused a bad accident if there had been heavy traffic that day. I had to drive to work with one hand while holding the shift down into drive with the other hand. After getting to work and shutting it off, I restarted it and then it seemed to work fine. However, I certainly don't feel safe driving this car anymore.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a TSB out on this. http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...ps-into-n-replace-shifter-t-sb-0142-11-a.html

Cold comfort, since you are way past the warranty, but at least it has the part number that you need. It is a $300 fix DIY or $500 at a dealer.

For you, or anyone else that this happens to, I strongly urge you to file a report with NHTSA. That is the only way that this will turn into a recall, and then you can get reimbursed.

ddrohan and dave77 like this.
  7. CarmSanSea

CarmSanSea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a Toyota Prius III 2010 (from the dealership) in 2010. The car did the same thing you are all describing -from the beginning-. Since I bought the car (I am the only owner).
    After I encounter this, within the week I took it to the dealership where I bought it (San Diego Kearny Mesa) and they told me that it was not a problem. Yes, it was a problem and they refused to fix it.

This has happen to my car from week 1.

Now 5 years later, today, the car would not engage in "D" or reverse. I tried at least for 10 minutes.

I called a dealership now in Seattle and I was told that they never heard about it. I searched online and at first try, I found this forum, so it does happen.

My Steps:
    1. Depress Power button (to turn on)
    1.1. Wait about 5-10 seconds
    2. Depress the break + engage in D (drive) OR (D) reverse.
    3. The car goes to "N" neutral and cannot be put in gear drive or reverse.
    4. Turn car off. Go back to step 1 until your car engages.

8. CarmSanSea

CarmSanSea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You posted this in 2009, how did it get fix? What was the solution ;) Did Toyota help you?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are they at least receptive, willing to troubleshoot it? The way you describe it, it sounds like they should lose their accreditation as a Toyota dealership!

10. CarmSanSea

CarmSanSea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, they refused to acknowledge the problem, I did show them - it was a new car. The car has always had this problem.
    Now today, I called the dealership and the receptionist told me that "they never heard of it" and that The Director of Service will give me a call. Have not heard from them as of yet.

I serviced my car there since I bought the car from them as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Give it a day, then contact corporate Toyota, and put out feelers to another dealership. That's nuts, hope someone wakes up.

Just a total guess, but maybe something to do with the electronics hooked up to the brake pedal, to detect if you're pressing it or not. But they should be on it.

12. Velo781

Velo781 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got an 04 last week and it has been doing to this me a bunch of times now. Usually it's popping out of reverse. Holding the shift lever helps. Was there ever a recall on this problem? I bought it from a used car dealer, as is of course.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a YouTube video on Gen 2 shifter problem, and a part 2 by same guy:

video 1

video 2

14. Angry_elf

Angry_elf New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I noticed my 2006 prius doing that if I turn the wheel to much when i reverse the car it will goto neutral.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. PriusThatTows

PriusThatTows Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring + Tech
    My 2007 does that too. It will go for a couple of months with no problems and then that exact issue will be a recurring problem for a few days. In my case, B seems to be fine, but D and R pop back into N. I can hold the knob and drive just fine but I shouldn’t have to.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the 12v health?

18. Adam DiPietro

Adam DiPietro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone ever fix this problem? Lots of people with the problem - but no solutions besides maybe the inverter pump and 12v low voltage.

19. koco

koco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My '05 had this problem. I took out some dash parts to get better access to the shifter and sprayed some dry lube into it and worked it around. This is just temporary until I get another shifter from a junkyard, then I will take a better look and see what is making it sticky.

It appears that there is white lithium grease in the moving part of the shifter mechanism and there is a square plastic piece about 3" x 3" that is moving around in there, I don't know if that is broken off from something but when I get a replacement shifter I will investigate.

The cause of this problem seems to be from mechanical friction inside the moving parts of the shifter.

20. Mary Sue Walker

Mary Sue Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this problem also, I have a 2007 Prius. I ordered the part on ebay from speedy's and finally got around to putting it in. The new one is worse than my original one, popping out every time I drive. Now I have 2 that don't work and it's outside the return window. Anyone know how to fix the faulty spring?? I don't want to pay $450 for a new one or order another used one only to find it's faulty too!