1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Easy Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob.H, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought our Prius used at 9000 miles and just did my first oil change. I have done oil changes on all of my vehicles since I started to drive in the 70's. The only thing new to me was I was doing it on a Toyota and not a Dodge, GMC, or Oldsmobile. Latex gloves and a oil cleanup rag and I didn't even get dirty.

That was the easiest oil changes I ever did, and it was the cleanest 5000 mile oil I ever disposed of. The nice oil change tutorial and suggestions of the proper ramps helped make it like I have done it a hundred times before.

Got a fantastic deal on 5 quarts of Penzoil Platinum Full Synth 5W-30 and a Mobile 1 filter. Still have 1.5 Quarts left to use the next time.

Thanks
    Bob

2. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I know. I love the positioning of the filter and the drain plug. Amazing how clean and easy it is to do an oil change on the Prius. I didn't think I can love the car anymore until I did that and I thought to myself, "wow, that's just brilliant."

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you use a vacuum pump to suck the oil out,, you get more out, and it is REALY easy. Small hand pumped vacuum cost ~$50 from the marine store. The first time I used one,, it left less than 2 drops in the pan when I pulled the plug to check. I don't ever pull the plug,, thereby no risk of overtightening or cross threading it.

Icarus