1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius 150k worries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bereaguy, Jul 23, 2014.

1. bereaguy

bereaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good day to all.

I have a 2008 Prius I purchased used that has been phenomenal so far. I put 30-50k miles on it a year and minus a bad quick lube oil change, it has been great.

I am near 150,000 miles and have started to notice a rough transition when driving when the monitor shows a change between battery and gas engines. I have tried to find threads to help give insight, but I frankly don't know what to search. Given how much I drive, I want to be ahead of this and I'm not sure what could be off and causing this rough transition.

I have kept up with the regular maintenance schedule (save oil changes- I use synthetic oil and change between 8&10k). Any insight or other threads to pursue would be great.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would check the oil level in your car first. 8k to 10k is a long time for these engines. I'm betting you are low on oil

3. bereaguy

bereaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I'm not low on oil. After 120k I check at every fill up.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you describe the rough transition?

5. bereaguy

bereaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is a subtle jerk. It seems like when the electric and gas are flipping on and off.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I often feel a little jerk when I'm not moving. Can't feel it when the car is in motion.

This is new? You've had the car for a long time so you should know what's normal.

What maintenance have you done since 100k?

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    At what vehicle speed do you typically notice this? I have an '08 that is above the 180K mileage mark that I drive at least 35K a year. I notice a bump in the transition at a highway speed of 65 mph when cresting a small hill sometimes. At that speed the ICE is running continuous so I'm not really sure what causes the brief interruption in power. Yeah, the forum search function is challenging. I've found it to be most useful when searching for a single term. The more words you add the farther it gets from the relevant topic. So, to the car, I would carefully clean the throttle body and get some MAF sensor cleaner and give that the jazz. Could be a restricted ICE air filter or, dare I say, a sticky PCV. When was the transaxle oil changed last? That step is more preventative than curative.

8. bereaguy

bereaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I purchased the car with 40k on it and the roughness become more noticeable in the past month. I drove today for 600+ miles and noticed it much more, especially when going up hills after I let off the gas.

At 120k (in January) I had the suggested service at a dealership which included spark plugs and it's just been changing oil and inspections since. About 5,000 miles ago (early in June) was when the quick lube overfilled the oil and it gave me trouble. A Toyota dealership cleaned up that mess.

9. bereaguy

bereaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is excellent. Exactly when I notice it most. I'll certainly have them clean the throttle body. Air filters we're changed a few months back.

What is the MAF sensor?

10. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My description above didn't say that at the times I notice this happening I clean the throttle body and MAF and I don't notice it happening again for a number of months. I also didn't say that I'm wondering if this little bump every now and then might not have something to do with the variable valve timing in the engine. Things I think about on my long daily drive. I also mop up the oil and whatever else accumulates across the inside bottom of the intake manifold when I have everything apart, but some will say I'm taking chances by doing this. I'm careful. It is a DIY if you are so inclined. Remove the air cleaner box top and the filter. Look down into the throttle body and the first thing you see is the MAF. It sticks out in the air flow. It can be removed to make it easier to clean by removing the two screws and a wiring harness that hold it on the throttle body. There is an electronic component in the immediate air flow and a set of hot wire components hidden up inside the sensor assembly. Make sure you only use MAF cleaner and nothing else. No Q-Tips or other probes up in there. Delicate parts. I don't know how much a dealership would charge for this service. Good luck.

11. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that would solve the problem. Clean up the maf sensor and the throttle body.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm suspecting the spark plugs may be your issue. When you had your oil overfilled, that may have fouled up your plugs. Cleaning the throttle body should help too.