1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius at 30660 miles I bought three weeks ago Goodyear Integrity tires wearing out 5/32 now

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Paresh Trivedi, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Paresh Trivedi

Paresh Trivedi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I bought 2008 Prius at 30660 miles three weeks ago with Goodyear Integrity tires. Tires wearing out & 5/32 now it was 6/32 and 7/32 on 3/25/13. On 4/4/13 is was 5/32 and 6/32 as per Goodyear. Service record shows it was 9/32 at 27600 miles.
    3/25/13 I was at Morristown TOyota dealer they said needs tire on next service.
    3/29/13 I was at West Caldwell Toyota dealer they put one point higher and did not say I need tire at next service. Went to Goodyear they on 4/4/13 they said no this now end of winter you can still drive for a while etc...Why Toyota dealers who sells car not taking responsibility of tires when they sell vehicle as certified vehicle? Do you think Goodyear will reimburse me for this fast worn out?

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No Goodyear will do nothing. You weren't the original buyer. They didn't do the alignment. You set the tire pressure. They have nothing to do with your driving style. Maybe 6 other reasons I could come up with.

As for the CPO aspect, they measured it at the time of inspection prior to sale. Did they measure the alignment? Are all tires wearing? What pressures are you running? Is the wear uniform?

I once had a car lot switch tires on me between the time I drove it and the time I picked it up the next night resulting in an accident 4 weeks later and 300 miles later.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So you will need tires at the next service - that's 5,000 miles from now. They should be good until 3/32.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tread depth measurements aren't accurate. I've had tires gain tread between visits. If you want the tires to last they have to be inflated to max sidewall pressure. Even at max sidewall I still got some edge wear on the set on my 2006.

The tires that come on a new car have a very minimal warranty partly (mostly?) because the manufacturer pays relatively little for them and they may not be made to the retail specifications.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Of course, the tread depth matters most in the rain. The difference in stopping distances can be startling. In this test, you would still be traveling 55MPH on 2/32 tires and 45 on 4/32 where you'd be stopped on almost new tires.

Tread pattern matters too. On tires optimized to handle rain and evacuate water from under the tread patch, I could easily travel safely at speeds where other cars were sliding and slowing. But they were sure noisy.

All tires are compromises. Of cost, handling, wear, stopping, rain, perfoamnce in the cold, etc.

Tire Test Results : What Honest Abe Doesn't Tell You About Minimum Tread Depths

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, the Goodyear Integrity has horrible and I mean horrible wet braking performance, in a Tirearack test they stopped some 20+ft. Further than the other tires.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good Year Integrity aren't real tires, they're specifically designed to make Toyota more money when they sold brand new Gen2 cars back in the day, but they aren't as good as even modern economy tires made these days. The only good thing about them is they show that the previous owner was good at making sure the car was kept to the same specs as it was when it was brand new.

PS: Careful on tire pressure in the rain... I bumped the Integrity's up to 50psi when I first got the car and every pothole and puddle, especially at freeway speed eliminated 98% of the traction for a brief moment. SCARY!!! I run 'em at 42/40 psi now... I can't wait till they're finally worn out and I get real tires!

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good Year Integrity aren't real tires, they're specifically designed to make Toyota more money when they sold brand new Gen2 cars back in the day, but they aren't as good as even modern economy tires made these days. The only good thing about them is they show that the previous owner was good at making sure the car was kept to the same specs as it was ehen it was brand new.

PS: Careful on tire pressure in the rain... I bumped the Integrity's up to 50psi when I first got the car and every pothole and puddle, especially at freeway speed eliminated 98% of the traction for a brief moment. SCARY!!! I run 'em at 42/40 psi now... I can't wait till they're finally worn out and I get real tires!

9. Pat Campbell Cozzi

Pat Campbell Cozzi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recommend michelins with highest number, Costco rotates for free and adds nitrogen when needed. They check. All for free. Love Costco policies and their tires.

10. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Junior Member

The Beautiful Mountains of Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm certain that his tire problems have been resolved by now. Most likely wore out the replacements too.

Skibob likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes 5 years is a long time as this thread is from 2013. Plus the OP has not been on for 42 weeks. How do people find threads this old?