1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Battery discharged

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MyDadsCar, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MyDadsCar

MyDadsCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am currently driving my dad's 2008 Prius because of other vehicle problems. When my daughter got out of the car last night, she did not get the door closed all the way. It sat that way all night in a VERY cold garage. Now it will not start and the malfunction indicator lamp, which looks like a check engine light to me, is very faintly flashing. I figured the battery was discharged and attempted to jump it per the manual's instructions. It still will not start and the lamp is still flashing. I can hear clicking under the hood, as well.
    Do I just need to leave it hooked up to the jump vehicle longer? OR, is this a "dealership necessary" issue? I would have to tow it to a dealership, since it cannot be started, which creates a whole new set of problems. ( The car is parked in my garage and would be very difficult to get it towed.)
    Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this, or insight on what I may be doing incorrectly?
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! the 12 volt battery in the trunk is dead. you can buy a specialty charger for agm batteries and try a trickle charge for 24 hours, but at 6 years old, you're better off picking up a new battery from auto zone or whoever is close, or the toyota dealer for an oem. make sure it is charged before leaving with the purchase. install is easy and takes 30 minutes. all the best!(y)

3. MyDadsCar

MyDadsCar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so for fear of sounding like an idiot, can you explain the differences in the batteries for me? I am new to this and I don't know much about the system. How do I know if it is an agm or oem battery? Are the install instructions in the manual? I did not see anything like that listed under the battery heading in the index. Thank you very for your quick response.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM in this case just means a genuine TOYOTA battery, which meets original equipment manfacturers specifications.

In other words, you buy the battery from Toyota. AGM is just Absorbent Glass Mat, it is just the name for the type of battery used in the Prius. Toyota battery is around $200.

I went through this a week or so ago, totally clueless, but if I can replace the battery, anyone can. Thirty minutes is a bit quick....read through my thread here -- there is a YouTube video that is priceless on help. And DoRunRon's instruction sheet is a must....you'll see it all here: Won't Turn Off -- Master Warning Light on (Red Triangle) | PriusChat

Direct link to the video on YouTube (if you don't want to read through my rants above):

Read the thread, watch the video. You can do it. I'd recommend the Toyota battery, but that's your problem. :)

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What city and state are you located in?

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All the info you need to know is in the link cyberprius posted above

If you just want to know how to change the battery study the link below in my signature about changing the battery. Refer to post #8 for the details. FWIW, I recommend the battery you will buy at Toyota. Other's here will recommend the "Yellow Top" or the Exide brand. Depending on your location your source and brand may vary. The two brands I recommended are readily available in the United States. I have to guess since your location is not in your profile.

If you are mechanically inclined, it should be no problem. As other's have said, make certain the battery is "FULLY" charged before you put it in. How to tell? Use a digital volt meter and measure the voltage at the posts before it is hooked up to the car. A fully charged AGM type battery (the one for your Prius) should read a minimum of 12.8 volts. Any thing less is NOT fully charged. Don't accept the battery if it reads 12.6 or less, Insist on a new "fully" charged battery.

Best of luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Print out Ron's sheet and take it out with you when you change the battery -- priceless when it is all printed out in front of you -- don't ignore RON's advice about disconnecting the negative cable (as I did at my own peril). It differs from the video.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my work here is done.:p

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model: