1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 headlight adjuster not working...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magic-man, Mar 14, 2011.

1. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius with NON HID headlights. The left one appears to not adjust properly. If I remove the bulb boot, the light bounces up and down (the part that is supposed to adjust). When I turn the adjuster, it will wiggle down then up again, like it is not engaging the screw inside... Also, when I hit a bump, the left beam bounces. The main housing is secure, just the inner (adjustable) one is not.

Any ideas short of replacing the whole thing?

2. mkm

mkm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with NON HID headlights, and I need to know how to adjust them. Where is the adjusting screw and how do I get to it?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The adjustment screw is located on the back of the headlight. Look for the small white plastic screw. It is approx. 8 mm. if I remember correctly.

Make sure you don't aim it too high or you'll blind oncoming traffic. If your lights illuminate the interior of the car in front of you then they are aimed too high.

4. mkm

mkm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! The bolt is 8 mm, as you said. Adjusting the headlight on the passenger side of the car was relatively easy, even though the work space is tight. Adjusting the headlight on the driver side of the car was an adventure; very tight work space. It is so nice to be able to see when driving at night by using the low beams. Previously, the high beams had to be used, and oncoming drivers didn't flash me; the headlights were THAT much too low. Thanx again!

5. macnolias

macnolias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    06 prius with non-hid. Where the fk is this white screw you'll talk about? I see a silver 8 mil that looks like it adjust but mine adjust nada. Clockwise or counter? What is up and what is down?

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  7. Hamptgx

Hamptgx Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also found out that there is a horizontal headlight adjustment screw on gen 2 prius. Peek in horizontally across the top of the circle that the bulb resides in and you'll see another slot just like the vertical adjustment described above.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not seeing it mentioned anywhere in this thread: Toyota doesn't expect you to work in tight quarters trying to spin the adjuster with a hex wrench on the back of it.

Part of the adjuster is a flat metal disc with teeth on the side of it that faces forward. If you look straight down at it through the guides molded into the plastic that lead to it, you should see a perfect little path for sticking a long Phillips screwdriver right down there so the end of the screwdriver meshes with the teeth, and then just twist the screwdriver.

[​IMG]

That picture is from a Gen 1, but Toyota seems to stick with the basic design.