1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mosesk, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm working my way up from a no-frills 1994 Saturn so I'm quite naive to many of the technological advances and options in the Gen 2 Priuses.
    Ideally I'd like to find a 2009 Option Package 6 with low miles.
    So far I've found a few 2009 #6 with higher miles (around 80-100K miles, yeah, I know that's not considered a "lot" for Priuses)
    And a 2009 #2 with low miles (25-30K)
    So my question revolves around options.
    I know it's a very personal issue.
    I'm somewhat intrigued by a navigation system- I've been able to get by without one so far using Mapquest and iPhone.
    Also never had bluetooth.
    Leather seats is appealing and I doubt I would swap out the cloth seats for leather...or is that something fairly easily done?
    So- if I get a Option 2 can I add these items and are there some systems you recommend?
    And what about any other options #2 lacks?
    Are any no-brainers and something I wish I would have.
    Again- I know it's very personal but wondering if there is a consensus on this.
    Thanks

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I really like the SKS smart key system. This is one of the best options. I never have to take the key out of my pocket. The door locks and unlocks with a touch, as well as starting. I thought the nav would be great. But it's mediocre. A smart phone with GPS is much better in my opinion. I thought the phone interaction would be great. It's ok but people complain not being able to hear me very well. I do like the CD changer. The JBL sound system is adequate but nothing extra special. I hear the rear camera is nice but I don't have it in my 05 and do fine. I have cloth seats and the cloth is ok. There are 3rd party leatherette covers available and I have heard they are pretty good, but I don't think I would be interested at least for now. I overlooked nice cars at good prices to find one with as many options as I could find. I don't know how many I passed because they didn't have nav. I see now it isn't that important to me. Other than the SKS and CD changer, it's not the options that I love about the car. For me it boils down to having 1/3 the fuel cost as before.

3. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steve Lee- GREAT feedback.
    Very helpful.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're planning to keep it as a collector's item you need to get all the extras. But if you plan to use it as a primary vehicle you might want to avoid any bells and whistles that are becoming technologically outdated.

Many of the navigation, bluetooth and phone extras are fast approaching obsolescence and in a few years a simple $200 tablet computer is going to do all those functions way, way better than they ever could of done back in 2009. Actually, a $200 Nexus 7 tablet can already do most of those functions, just no cell service yet, which means you need a mifi...

6. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More great info.
    Will an iPad do everything the Nexus 7 tablet does?

8. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't use my nav much but I really enjoy having the info button on the steering wheel to be able to switch back and forth on the battery and consumption screens without taking my hand off the wheel. I also will chime in on the SKS which an option 2 should have. I personally wouldn't buy one without smart key.

9. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In regards to a 2009 Prius Option Package #2 are there after market navigation and or bluetooth systems that will work as "elegantly" (for lack of a better term) as factory installed systems?
    Can the same level of "integration" be achieved?
    With a Nexus or iPad tablet I assume there will always be this extra piece of equipment that needs to be mounted or connected?
    And can they be set up to be accessed from the steering wheel?
    I may not even be expressing these concerns in the best way because I've never used them.
    But clearly I'm asking about the wisdom of getting a fully optioned Package 6, even with possibly outdated technology for these items, as compared to a 2009 Package #2 and adding some of these features and having it be as close to "seamless" or "integrated" as possible.

Thanks as always

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They're two totally different tablets. iPads run iOS. The Nexus 7 runs Android.

iPads are available w/a 9.7 or 7.9 inch screens: Apple — iPad — Compare iPad models.. Nexus 7 is has a 7-inch screen: Nexus 7 - Google .

For iPads, if you want GPS built into the unit, you need to buy the ones w/that are marked + Cellular or + 3G. Wi-fi only iPads DO NOT have GPS built in. They can sorta approximate your location based upon wi-fi access points around you, but if you have no wi-fi around w/known location in Apple's database nor some other device to provide GPS data to the iPad, it will not know the location and thus be unusable for navigation.

IMHO, it's a dumb idea to depend on a tablet for navigation, esp. one with almost a 10" screen. Where are you going to put it when you leave your car? It could get stolen and the heat could damage the unit and also will degrade the battery (How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University). You ok w/carrying it around w/you when you leave your car?

FWIW, I own an iPad 2 (wi-fi only) that I bought shortly after it was introduced in 2011. As I stated earlier, it HAS NO built in GPS. It's useless for navigation. (I do like my iPad 2 a lot and use it every day. )

I've posted my opinions and habits about PNDs vs. built in nav at Want to ADD Navigation system to my 2005 Prius | PriusChat.

Aftermarket installed system at least check were pretty darned expensive. The worry I have about them is theft. I've had my cars broken into twice w/things stolen each time. See Would an aftermarket subwoofer drain the battery faster? | PriusChat.

One huge downside to sticking w/the Toyota's or most OEM nav systems is that the updates are real expensive. At last check, an update DVD is almost $200. You can buy Garmin PNDs w/lifetime updates pretty regularly for under $130, depending on the unit (see garmin lifetime - Reviews and Compare Prices).

So, I'm still using the original map DVD that came w/my 06 Prius that I bought new in January 06. The map DVD was completed likely sometime in 05 or earlier. I can live with it. The roads don't change that much and if I need to, I have 2 Garmins w/newer map data and I can use Apple's or Google's Maps w/turn by turn nav on my iPhone 5.
    And that mifi will require paying a monthly fee for data. There a few exceptions like Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop (I got one of these recently and it has some goofy catches, to say the least like them not refunding you your ~$100 "security deposit" after you've kept the device for more than a year.)

11. 1F7

1F7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have a 2009 non-touring package 2 and are very happy with it. We like a Garmin better than the factory navigation and I made a cupholder gps mount which works well (details in an old post). The only thing we wanted and didn't get was handsfree bluetooth calling (package 3).

It's generally more economical to find a used car with what you want rather than add it later.

All 2009 non-touring package 4 and above and all 2009 touring have hid headlights, and some have had reliability issues. The halogens are reliable.

Package 1 omits vehicle stability control and a backup camera -- both are very important IMO.

TampaPrius.com likes this.
  12. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The factory nav vs. add-on nav has had a lot of comments and it seems to be about "6 of one, half a dozen of the other".
    How about bluetooth for phone calling?
    Is it easy to add that later, and is it any good?

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To me, the built in Bluetooth in the Prius is convenient but I've heard people tell me that I sounded too high pitched. I also had to use a hidden menu to turn up the microphone volume so people could hear me better (no big deal). People can tell I'm driving.

I've used Jawbone BT headsets before to call people while driving on the highway and the noise cancellation must work pretty well. Some have told me they couldn't tell I was driving.

Easy to add later? Errr.... don't know, not necessarily the factory one. Stripped down Gen 2 Priuses have fewer buttons on the steering wheel that ones fully loaded. See last pic at My New Car (I just randomly found this page, I don't know this page).

I'm having trouble watching the video at Steering wheel Bluetooth buttons (adding) | PriusChat, but you can see there are extra buttons for Map, Info, voice command, answer, and hangup.

You can buy a whole bunch of Bluetooth speakerphones (some call them "car kits", I don't like the term) like ones featured at Which of these Bluetooth speakerphones sounds the best? (comparison) | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews. I have no experience w/any of them.

14. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is a personal choice. Also coming from a vehicle that didnt have bluetooth, I use the bluetooth in my Level 5 ALL of the time. I absolutely love it. I use the NAV here and there, I have the update disc from Toyota, but truth is - the Navigation lacks. Its frustrating and not user friendly. BUT it has gotten me to several destinations and I like the map and directives once you finally DO get it to work.

Coming from a car with leather, Im enjoying my cloth seats. If you find a Prius you like that doesnt have leather but want it - you can always buy Clazzio Leather seat covers. Several members here have and they receive high reviews.

Good luck in your search! :)

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I drive a 09 with Package #2 on it also. I don't use the cellphone much, so bluetooth is really not desirable to me. I think all of the package #2's come with the SKS which as other's have said is very nice and appreciated. As far as navigation is concerned, I opted for a Garmin Nuvi with the big screen. It get's me there with little to no problems, has updates that are free (factory nav updates cost money for the DVD), and I can hide it under the back deck in the hatch back.

It does boil down to individual preference as far as options and packages are concerned. I also agree it will cost a lot more to add something later on rather than finding a model you like with the options/package you are looking for. Just be certain you don't get a base model. If you do, it will not have the SKS on it. You will definitely appreciate it, especially if you have your hands full when you go to get in your Prius.

Good luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat.

16. Giantjosh

Giantjosh New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have owned 2 2009 prius one package 2 and one 6. The 6 is so much nicer, you may not use all the tools or options but having the leather interior and steering wheel is the best. The only real problem is that it always comes with the chance for more things to go wrong and will cost more. It really depends on what you find to be essential on your car.

Another likes this.