1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Whiny, Grinding Noise in Front End

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Axsom, May 28, 2016.

1. Mike Axsom

Mike Axsom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello. My Prius has developed a disturbing noise over the past 2 weeks. I believe the noise is coming from the front, driver's side. The faster I go, the louder the noise. It begins shortly after accelerating and doesn't stop until I stop the car.

I didn't think it was a mechanical noise, but now I'm not sure. I feel a slight vibration in the accelerator pedal while the car is making the noise. I'm wondering if this is something in the axle, wheel bearing, transmission, or what. Please help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a bearing or cvj. does it change with speed or turns?

how many miles on her?

any noise while stopped with the engine running?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You didn't give us alot of info.

Is the car new to you?
    How many miles?
    Been in an accident or has a salvage title?
    Is any check engine light on or red triangle on dash?

Worst case its the transmission differential section has failed. Usually very high miles and trans fluid not properly maintained. If so the trans would need to be replaced. Best case its a wheel bearing.
    May be a bad cv joint that's worn out and vibrating.

Whatever it is its so bad you feel it in the gas pedal which means the floorboards are vibrating from it. The gas pedal is fly by wire and has no mechanical interaction with the motor so your not feeling it in the pedal exactly its the floor itself vibrating.

if me I would take it to a tire shop and have them inspect the cv's and the front end and the brake rotors. if no joy there
    i would asap pull the trans fluid and inspect it for metallic debris which clinches the failed diff section. Have whoever does it to check the fill level before dumping it. You open the fill plug and stick your finger in the hole and see if you can feel fluid right at the top. if fluid low or empty the trans may be leaking fluid and your driving on a dry trans. The tire shop can check that also.

Tire shop: Check for leaking trans fluid where inner cv's enter the diff area. Check for bad cv joints (usually car has to have 150K+ plus miles)
    Check for really bad rotors and wheel bearings.

Trans shop or local guy or dealer: Pull trans fluid. Check fill height before dumping. Check magnet on dump bolt for large metal debris.
    Take fluid out in the sun and looking for shiny bits of metal floating around in it. Bits that the magnet did not pick up. Look for gold in the pan.
    If ok at least you have replaced the fluid which I'm sure it needs it.

Good luck.

bisco likes this.
  4. Mike Axsom

Mike Axsom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry I didn't think to include some important info. I bought the car last September and I've put about 3,000 miles on it. It now has about 134,000 miles. No sound when in park or stopped with car in drive or reverse. Yes, the sound gets much worse at highway speed, 55 mph. No dash lights on. It was in a minor accident before I got it, but not even bad enough for a salvage title. Thanks.

#4 Mike Axsom, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a wheel bearing. take it to your fave shoppe or diy.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Ok good no salvage title...we see alot of those and there a nightmare. Go after it like I said. The tire shop is sometimes free estimate and there pretty good about spying bad things in the front end. The front end of the Prius is like any other car nothing special about it. Hopefully wheel bearing. That's around $500 all in. Or maybe brakes.

You may want to go to toyota.com/owners its a free site and join...you will see every instance the car has seen service at an authorized toyota dealer service center. May give you a clue about your current malady....have your insurance card handy when you join as it requires the car's vin.

7. Mike Axsom

Mike Axsom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks guys. It was the wheel bearing. I bought the part off Ebay and went to a mechanic that my friend recommended. Less than $150 altogether and the noise is gone! I've found a new go-to mechanic to boot.

Graz and bisco like this.
  8. JoesPriusLife

JoesPriusLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks bisco and Mike. Just had this same problem pop up on my 2009 Prius. Going to the mechanic tomorrow.

9. JoesPriusLife

JoesPriusLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just thought I'd update for any one who has similar problems. Took the '09 to the mechanic and it was definitely a wheel bearing. The mechanic said the bearing is difficult to get out but he has a special tool to make it easier. Got out the door for $450. My father has been using this guy for years.