1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Windshield Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ashb, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ashb

ashb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 Prius windshield has cracked. I called a local junk yard and they claim they have one. I will be going there to pick it up.

I am keen on Toyota original for their Solar properties (UV protection) so I getting it from Junkyard and not non OEM (Safelite, Pilkington,PWG etc ) glass.

What should I look for to make sure it is Toyota glass (used) and not from a local brand?

Thanks for taking time to read my post.
    Regards
    Ash

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    it will say Toyota on it, they are very thin and crack like an egg, good luck

3. GMAccord

GMAccord Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have used safelite and PPG (now PGW). Safelite is low quality with visible distortions. PGW is OEM quality and I would not hestitate recommending it. Would be about $350 - $400 installed.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2004's windshield was recently replaced with PGW and I agree that glass quality is first-rate. My auto insurance policy covered the replacement with $0 deductible to me.

I also agree that it is unlikely a used windshield can be successfully removed without damage.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can normally get a free replacement through your insurance company. They normally allow $500 of coverage and if your oem Toyota glass is more, you just pay the difference. I would think that's the same as buying used and installing

6. ashb

ashb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a good Idea. I will explore this option.
    Thanks
    Ash