1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 wont' start or shift out of park (merged)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius Newb, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently purchased a used 2009 Prius. Ran it for a couple days per week for about 2 weeks, then when on vacation for two weeks. After returning from vacation, I went to start the car following correct starting procedures (foot on brake etc). When I depressed the Start button, ALL of the dash board idiot lights illuminated including an indication that the car was in all gears P D N R B. Interior vanity lights are very dim. I can now not start the car and/or get it out of Park. The "Check engine" light illuminates now on instrument panel but nothing else.
    I tried to charge the 12V battery by jumping it from my Rav 4, but got now change to status (including a very dim vanity light). I have ordered a new 12V battery and plan to replace it myself. Hopefully that will solve this problem.
    However, being new to hybrids and the Prius.... Anyone have any suggestions?? If the new battery does not fix the problem, how do I get the car out of Park so that it can be towed to my local Toyota dealer?? Anyone else have similar issues (Have searched forums, but didn't see anything)??
    Please help!!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It was almost certainly the 12 volt battery. Be very careful jumping a Prius as getting the cables backwards is a $4000 repair.

3. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hopefully you are correct. Will know in a few days when the battery arrives. Used the booster bus in the fuse box and was VERY careful to do everything correctly. The green lights on either side of the Park button glow green, the start button glows orange and a slight hum from the engine compartment, very dim vanity lights, but won't start.

Fingers crossed that by sitting in a hot garage for a few weeks without starting and with an older battery, it simply died a slow death.

4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds very much like the 12v battery "ist kaput". So buying and fitting a new one is a good idea. Good luck when you fit it, and let us know how it goes :)

iPad ? HD

Britprius likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Data Daedalus is correct this is typical of 12 volt battery failure. However jumping from another vehicle although risky should get things going. Wrong polarity connection for even a split second can do a lot of damage.
    If your jump starting the car from the jump point under the hood often the jump lead does not connect properly with the terminal because cheaper jump leads only connect through one side of the jaws. Turning the clamp round will usually clear the problem.
    The Prius does not need large currents to get it started like normal vehicles because it does not use the 12 volt battery to turn the engine over, basically only to boot the computers, bring in some relays, and pressurize the brake system.

John (Britprius)

dorunron and Data Daedalus like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, your car needs a new 12V battery. Before you install it, make sure it is fully-charged. A new 12V battery should measure 12.9V out of the box.
    2. Jumpstarting is a reasonable process as long as you observe the correct battery polarity, but you have done something wrong, evidenced by the cabin ceiling light remaining dim. Clearly you don't have a good connection to the donor battery.
    3. If in the unlikely event a new battery does not solve the problem, you at least should be able to shift into N with a new battery in place.

dorunron likes this.
  7. flxcon

flxcon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTstarted. You probably need 12 volt battery if it does hold charge. I think your left a light on.
    ius Newb, post: 2048286, member: 125883"]Recently purchased a used 2009 Prius. Ran it for a couple days per week for about 2 weeks, then when on vacation for two weeks. After returning from vacation, I went to start the car following correct starting procedures (foot on brake etc). When I depressed the Start button, ALL of the dash board idiot lights illuminated including an indication that the car was in all gears P D N R B. Interior vanity lights are very dim. I can now not start the car and/or get it out of Park. The "Check engine" light illuminates now on instrument panel but nothing else.
    I tried to charge the 12V battery by jumping it from my Rav 4, but got now change to status (including a very dim vanity light). I have ordered a new 12V battery and plan to replace it myself. Hopefully that will solve this problem.
    However, being new to hybrids and the Prius.... Anyone have any suggestions?? If the new battery does not fix the problem, how do I get the car out of Park so that it can be towed to my local Toyota dealer?? Anyone else have similar issues (Have searched forums, but didn't see anything)??
    Please help!![/QUOTE]
    Jump start

8. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please tell me things haven't gotten worse....

I know it is unrealistic to expect someone to diagnose these issues in a forum, but now......

Same old battery, new one has not arrived... I again tried to jump the Prius from the Rav4. Again, CORRECTLY connecting the jumper cables and I know there was a good connection .

Upon entering the Prius, I noticed....

1 - The interior vanity light still comes on, but dimly,
    2 - NONE of the dashboard idiot lights turn on,
    3 - There is no beeping to indicate an open door or any such reminder chimes,
    4 - The green lights on either side of the key fob slot illuminate,
    5 - When depressing the brake pedal, I can hear a clicking noise from the engine compartment which I am assuming is the brake system pressurizing,
    6 - The Power light does not illuminate (either amber or green) when pressing it.

I am still assuming there is an issue with the 12v battery (fingers crossed it isnt something worse), but is it possible that if the battery in the smart key is dead... I assume NO, because I should be receiving an idiot light indicating the key isnt present...

Just trying to rule out the $5 problems before I start throwing serious cash at this problem.

Frustration with technology is beginning to set in. URGH!!!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stick the key in the key slot, that will work even with a dead battery

10. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tried key in slot.. Same results EXCEPT power button glows amber when depressed.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the same result? Do you have dash lights? Radio on?

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you reversed the polarity during your attempts to jump the Prius the problem you are experiencing is more than likely due to the 12 volt battery. The jump post does NOT always work. If the 12 volt has a shorted cell, there will not be enough current flowing through the jump post to get the Prius running.

Now, if you are very careful you could attempt to jump the Prius directly at the 12 volt. It still might not go into Ready Mode, but the connection will be directly to the battery rather than through the jump post.

My advice to you though is this. STOP trying to jump the Prius. GET A NEW 12 volt and install it. Make certain that before you install the new battery that it is FULLY charged. A AGM type battery that will fit your Prius should measure 12.9 volts or HIGHER when measured with a digital volt meter with NO load being applied. If the new battery measures LESS than 12.9 volts, have it fully charged BEFORE you install it.

If it still does not go into Ready Mode after installation of the new battery, then more than likely you have damage that is beyond the scope of this post.

NOTE: Be aware that most of the time when the battery is changed it will take two tries with the Power button to get into Ready Mode. I have seen this more than once when changing the Prius 12 volt. First try, dash lights up, but no joy on Ready Mode. Push power button again to power down. Then with the foot on the brake pedal push the power button again. The Prius will then go into Ready Mode. You will find you lost all your presets, along with your trip odometers being a zero. Also the driver's auto window will need to be reinitialized. To do that, simply roll down the window half way, then roll up the window to the top. Continue holding the switch in the UP position for at least two seconds after the window goes all the way up. After that the auto window will work fine.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

PS See my signature file below. Detailed instructions on how to install the battery in your 2009 Prius. Click on the second link below and read post #8 for more information.

#12 dorunron, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Britprius and usnavystgc like this.
  13. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all. I have a new 12v on its way. Hopefully this will resolve issues.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is your basis for knowing there is a good jump connection? Your observation #1 contradicts that assertion.

dorunron likes this.
  15. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who's taking bets ..... 12v battery ....

I'd leave it alone til you get the new 12v fitted, just in case you do some harm

dorunron likes this.
  16. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Following owner's manual directions... Prius Positive, jump battery positive, jump battery negative then prius to a ground spot. Small spark when the ground connection was made. I guess to be more accurate I should have stated that a circuit was completed. As to how much current was flowing... well at least enough to make a small spark.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For now this just sounds like a 12V that was dead, and now is really dead

dorunron likes this.
  18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Thanks for providing this additional info.
    2. You could try disconnecting the installed 12V battery, then hook up the jump start cables to the battery cables to see if you can get the Prius to become READY. Maybe the old battery is in such bad condition that it is depressing the voltage provided by the jump battery.
    3. Or you could wait until you get your new 12V battery. I suggest you make sure the new battery is fully-charged before installation.

dorunron likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can you confirm that you are trying to jump start the car from the jump point in the fuse box, or are you jumping it directly to the battery in the rear of the car? Also when you connect the jump leads do the lights that are dim brighten up?
    Do you have, or access to a volt meter and the ability to use it? "Not meant as a put down" not everyone has electrical knowledge.

John (Britprius)

#19 Britprius, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  20. Prius Newb

Prius Newb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All indication are that FedEx should have the new battery here this afternoon. Purchased from StreetSideAuto.com.
    Just to be sure, what should the readings be on the new fully-charged battery?

Jumping to the jump point in fuse box, lights do not brighten at all. I do have a digital voltmeter and the ability to use it. Only issue right now is that the Prius is backed in in my garage and without the ability to move the car forward, access to the rear hatch is difficult, but not impossible.