1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 battery warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alfon, Aug 30, 2009.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well now, this is interesting.
    This leads me to think that the longer Toyota warranty on hybrid components is dependent on when each state sets it's active date. If I was in a state that was going CARB in the near future, I'd try to wait to buy the Prius to take advantage of it.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The confusion at the dealership continues. At Cherry Hill Toyota a salesman, Finance Manager, and probably two other managers are adamant that a Prius sold & registered in NJ is only covered by the Federal Warranty. After several calls to various Toyota corporate numbers and speaking with at least 3 Toyota employees I am basically told Toyota doesn't build (and a dealer can't order) a Prius to CARB standards so no Prius on the east coast qualifies for the longer warranty term. The only Prius that qualifies for the CARB warranty is one specifically built & sold in California.

Tonight I sent the salesman involved both links referenced in this thread. The car in question is JTDKN3DU0A1099875. The car was originally delivered to a Maryland dealer then traded to CHT in NJ.

Is there any reason this car would not be covered by the CARB warranty?

Why was the hybrid component warranty removed from the sticker?

Generally, when does the warranty take effect? Is it the mileage on delivery to the retail customer or from 0?

All help is greatly appreciated especially if a Toyota employee would contact the dealer at 856-665-5313 (fax 856-486-7402). This is my first experience with corporate Toyota and quite frankly it is not leaving a good impression.

Diane & Jabber, if only you were closer...

Thank you.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can usually tell a national-standard car on the EPA Fuel Economy website. If, under Air Pollution Score, you select Show Detailed Air Pollution Information, it will show one row for CARB states and one for 'rest of US'. If the 'Underhood Label ID' has the same code in both rows, it's the same car, even if the scores are different. The numeric score simply indicates which Federal bin or CARB category it was rated in. You can see this in the Summary of Emission Standards (PDF).

Unfortunately the EPA Air Pollution Score isn't there for the 2010 car. For the 2009 Prius, it's rated 8/10, Bin 3, for Federal emissions, but 9.5/10, SULEV II, for CARB emissions (actually PZEV, qualifying for 9.5 rather than 9). Both rows have the same ID, 9TYXV01.5HC3. Given that Bin 2 is actually less restrictive than SULEV II/PZEV - allowing up to 2.1 grams per mile of CO rather than the 1.0 allowed by CARB - I don't know why Toyota would not have certified to Bin 2, but they didn't.

Anyway, it's certainly true that Toyota don't build a CARB-standard Prius, but only because the same Federal-emissions car is already good enough. They do have to have the long warranty to qualify for the CARB AT-PZEV rating.

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's the latest response from the salesman: "I have spent severals hours today researching this issue. The end result is that you were correct in your assessment, and the key to that is a Toyota Warranty Policy that specifically excludes the 2004-2010 Model Year Prius from certain provisions of the Californial Emissions Warranty. It replaces the Defect and Performance warranty with one that provides 15 years or 150,000 miles from the in-service data. It also states that the Hybrid Vehicle Battery is warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the in-service date.

You are free to examine this policy if you would like. I do not have an electronic version of that document at this point, but will do so in the morning."

With no intention to be insulting I get the impression that Toyota has turned into GM.

6. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've recently bought a Prius 2010 (P3 before FL) with 115k miles in NY state. I trusted the previous owner in many things, but he did not know the car very well, so I did most of the maintenance by myself staring with the burned break caliper replacement, transmission and engine oil change. Since then it runs flawlessly with 50-55mpg. Since I'm from Europe, I know we have extended warranty there if your Prius passes the required tests yearly, regardless of the year of the car or the mileage. Does such thing exist there in US?

My second question is: does it worth going to a local Toyota dealership to check if everything is right on the software level and if all callbacks are done?

The previous owner showed bills of repair in Toyota dealership including breaks so I don't have too much trust in them, however, extended HV battery and SW refresh they can do only..

7. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is this question so obvious or that silly that no one has a clue?

8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can check on the my toyota web site for any outstanding recalls on your VIN.

9. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. HV battery warranty is simply 8 years/100k miles or 10/150 and based on whether or not the car was originally registered in a CARB state or not. Moving the car from it's original state of registration doesn't change the warranty. If your 2010 was originally put into service in NY (full CARB state), it's 10/150.

Since you're DIY, if you're looking to run the car long-term, do the entire EGR circuit cleaning sooner vs. later. Tons of info here regarding this issue, which is the major reliability issue with the turd gen Prius.

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, thanks wynn!
    It seems then it is different in NY than in EU where you can en-longer each year your warranty if your are qualified (error code free)

I managed to clean the EGR pipe as you suggested but the valve I would not touch, not that DIY guy:)
    Do you think based on these pictures, it should be opened up and cleaned as well? it was not clogged, but had some room for improvement..

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’d clean the whole circuit ;).