1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen # VSC/TRAC warning comes on after changing front brake pads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zander, May 25, 2016.

1. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed the front brake pads, took all the precautions during the change, did not disconnect the 12 v battery, pumped the brake pedal 12 times, started the car and no warnings. Now the brake pedal is a little spongy, if I press the pedal to the floor the VSC/TRAC light comes on, to reset it I have to press on the pedal again and the brakes do work.

I wonder if air some how got into the system, if I have the brake fluid changed that will take of the problem.
    Your thoughts.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure it isn't the Hill Assist light coming on. When you push the pedal to the floor like that it locks the brakes if you are on a steep incline. A light will appear until you release the brake. As soon as you release the brake pedal you have about 1 second to get to the throttle.

3. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you might have air but you can check the fluid level if it's too high or too low.
    You can try "resetting" the system. Turn off the car, then unplug the negative from the 12V battery and leave unplugged for at least 90 seconds. Plug back in and test it.

As I remember you were supposed to disconnect the 12V. I even read somewhere to keep the car key away from the car while changing the pads.
    HOW TO : Replace Front Brake Pads and Discs (Rotors) Prius Gen 2 | PriusChat

4. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    According to the owners manual page 186, icon slip indicator will appear when your stopped, you can push the brake pedal to the floor and the " slip indicator in on, than wait 2 seconds and it will go off. As far as the battery, I have read that some members did not disconnect the battery and no problems. Yes the key was inside the house.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "should have" unhooked the 12v, sounds like exactly what it "would have" prevented happened, better tow to a Toyota dealer and let them computer it back into operation. "couda"

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At this point, I would take it to the dealership, let them sort it out. Next time:

Disconnect the 12 volt negative cable first. Then, before reconnecting it, pump the pedal, firm it up.

7. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have rea many responses about not disconnecting the battery, so why do I have a spongy pedal since nothing in the brake system was opened, some how air got into the brake system and by having the brake fluid changed that should take of the problem.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The brake system will go into a default mode, if something is messed up. I know, I've had it happen, for no apparent reason, about 4 times now. Get lotsa lights, and a strange "shift" in brake feel. They still work, but less responsive. When it happens, I just run it down to the dealership, they hook it up to Techstream, fix it. They're still not sure what's happening.

In your case there seems to be a definite cause-and-effect. I doubt you've got air in the system, assuming all you did was push the piston back to accommodate new pad. I would just let them check it out, do tell them what you did, it'll help with diagnosis. They'll likely just hook up their computer, work their magic. And next time do the 12 volt disconnect.

There is also a jumper trick you can do, a paperclip between 2 pins in OBD, but at this juncture, I'd go to the pros.

9. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is just an idea. Did you by any chance greased up the breaking discs or the pads?

10. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pads were greased and the mounting bolts. I disconnected the battery 4 minutes, reconnected the battery and the pedal was mush better. I again was able to push the brake pedal to the floor, the VSC/TRAC came on for 2 seconds and it reset its self. I don't remember the brake pedal ever able to reach the floor. This is a strange problem.
    This is a strange problem

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assume by "pads were greased" you're meaning lubricant applied at all the points of contact, the usual application. @Piotrus Pan was wondering about grease contamination on the working face of pads and/or the rotor surface.

I guess you're not going to get it checked out by the pros?

12. stormchaser

stormchaser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There's no way under normal circumstances you should be able to press the brake pedal to the floor. You have a definite problem. On my CT I disconnected the battery and kept the key fob well away from the car. After all pads were changed everything was fine when the battery was re connected. I would get yours checked immediately.

iPhone ?