1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 IV Nav unit traffic abilities

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Simon Norton, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Simon Norton

Simon Norton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have an XM subscription for Navtraffic, and a menu option in my Nav unit to "avoid traffic" but it doesn't seem to do anything. I never see lines on my unit for traffic like I do on Google maps or Bing, and I've certainly run into unexpected traffic (Southern California is one big unexpected traffic jam ).

My manual has a lot of options that I can't find, so I suspect it was written for the technology package which I don't have. I asked the supposed sales "expert" at the local dealer, but he had never seen a 2010 up close before... too old, no doubt.

Does anyone with this model know what the traffic capabilities are and if I'm missing something?

Many thanks,
    Simon

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have the Nav manual?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 IV with navigation will have XMNavTraffic capabilities if you have a subscription.

Do you see a white icon with 3 cars in it near the top left on the screen? That indicates if it's receiving data. If you don't see it, it's not receiving data.

Also make sure every icon is showing. At the bottom of the screen, you should see an icon that looks like this: "<<OFF". If you an icon that looks like this "ON>>", then press the ON button to show all the icons.

4. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have a 2010 also with Nav. Traffic and it does work.

It will route you around problems if a reasonable alternate exists, but,..... you must always use the system for it to be of any use.

Let me explain; unless you program a destination, it may have icons that show up on screen with the infamous yellow triangle incident, (you can press these for more info) but if the car doesn't know where you are going it is not going to suggest you steer clear of these areas/incidents. Same with the green average speed of traffic lines following monitored roads... they will change color even if you have not programmed a destination.

As traffic updates are made available to the satellite service, they will be offered as an update on your screen. You have to answer 'yes' that you would like to update traffic info. t seems to do this only when an alternate is known to the system, and may even need to be entered by Nav. Traffic people, just guessing there though.

I've had it work well for me around LA on the freeways, have seen some stupid detours up here on the Trans Canada, where it takes you onto a collector, and drops you back into a freeway that is blocked up. You know, like a 'cheater' who tries to butt in on other drivers by pretending they didn't know a lane was ending.

... so treat it like GPS in general, very helpful, but always add some common sense into the mix so a bit of bad map data or something doesn't try to lead you into a lake or something stupid.

Roland

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've noticed that traffic info changes with map disc. I updated to Nav disc 13.1 and suddenly a lot of new roads had traffic information.

6. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm pretty sure you have to get the traffic subscription from XM radio for this feature to work.

7. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have been waiting to update my navigation disk until some major roadwork projects wrap up here around the BC Lower Mainland. But even though I haven't updated this last year, more and more roads are popping up with traffic details as they add sensors to pick up average speeds.
    If a new disk lets you get even more information, all the better, as I prefer to not listen to the AM radio traffic stations, but more to the satellite radio or the music on my iPhone via Bluetooth. Navtraffic gives me alerts over top of those inputs as long as I have programmed destinations. Maybe the service will just get better after updating.

Roland

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's possible. I haven't checked if it has the Port Mann Bridge labelled as a toll road yet (it might since my TomTom's maps does and Toyota's nav uses TomTom data for Canadian road data), but it has the new Stony Trail ring road in Calgary (except the newest SE portion that opened last Fall) and updates to Edmonton roads.

9. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I can say that the 12.1 disc recognises the Golden Ears bridge, which did not exist on version 11.1, but despite my preferences being to avoid toll routes, the system doesn't hesitate or warn before plotting a route over this tolled roadway.

While no system that I have ever used is without some sort of issues, I remain comfortable in my decision to having purchased the navigation package in this car. I use it all the time as a rule.

Still planning to buy 14.1 later this year.

Roland

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Let me know how 14.1 works out. It'll be a while (My dealer didn't get 13.1 until Dec 2013)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Let me know how 14.1 works out. It'll be a while (My dealer didn't get 13.1 until Dec 2013)

12. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Of course I will, thanks for asking me to.

Just yesterday as an example using my 12.1 setup, it was a confused navigation system taking me through changes to all the new interchanges built just west of the new Port Mann bridge. Lots of highway improvements were made and it takes time to be printed to disk.

Despite living here, and learning the new roads, it is often helpful, especially when the fog rolls in from the pacific, to have the navigation system guide you through the maze.

Speaking of the fog, that is when I love the radar pre-collision system to warn of cars up ahead... around here at least, I am still surprized at the number of people who fail to turn on their headlights in the dark, never mind the rain and fog. Guessing that their dashboard lights come on with their daytime running lights and they are clued out?

Roland

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the navigation system (of any kind) is very useful. On mountain roads, you can see the curves ahead and in low visibility like blowing snow or fog, you can "see" the road structure or if signs are obscured.

Indeed. On a scary section of the QE-II/Hwy 2 with near zero visibility at times in blowing snow, I was occasionally relying on the radar unit to keep my distance - naturally, it was set to the longest!

It's the electroluminescent instrument panels that have made their way down to non-luxury cars. People who are upgrading from mid 90s vehicles to the newer versions of the same ones (or even upgrading to a nicer car) will have electroluminescent gauges (LEDs) which are always illuminated, day or night. For those people, they assume that if the instrument panel is lit, the headlights are on (especially if the DRLs are using low beam headlights rather than reduced intensity high beams... although even the high beam version doesn't help. They don't seem to realise it's dim lol).

Honda has the blue high beam light on when DRLs are running so at least that helps at night - if you see a bright blue light on your dash, your low beams aren't on!

Others have a "DRL On" light in amber but Toyota doesn't use any warning light as far as I know. With the new Corolla using its LED low beam as DRLs, let's see how many new Corollas we see with no taillights on. (CE only. The other models have automatic headlights so the chances are lower, unless it's in the OFF position instead of AUTO)

Roland1555 likes this.
  14. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Completely agree with you. I tend to always use the radar with the long distance setting as a rule, with the only odd exception being when traffic is very dense, then others look at the distance between myself as a spot to accelerate in briefly to catch up to the bumper of the person I am following.

Doesn't matter to them that I am keeping up with the speed of traffic and matching speed... they just have to fill the gap.

I have done it to reduce the amount of excessive lane changers in front of me, but I really shouldn't as it is better to keep safe distances when travelling at speed, and the car adjusts and falls back on it's own despite everyone moving at roughly matched speeds. Just those behind start getting aggressive if you leave too much space in there minds.

Love the split screen on the factory navigation screen especially when in unfamiliar areas when taking a road trip, where a nice image of an exit or freeway split shows up ahead of time. Keeps a person from becoming stuck in the wrong lane.

Roland

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh. I use the long distance setting if I'm using DRCC at lower speeds (e.g. 40-60km/h) and the medium setting at highway speeds (100-110km/h). I've only used "short" once or twice at 40-50km/h but that was mostly for fun. I'll have to try "long" at 70-90km/h in heavier traffic. I suspect that's more useful than "medium".

It's definitely useful, especially the function you mentioned. It would be nice if one was able to scroll if the name of the exit is long. I mean, that will only ever pop up while on the move so either just truncate it or let us scroll. Why would it give us a blanked out "right arrow" icon? Most exit names match the real ones overhead but occasionally (especially now that it's using TomTom data), it has a really long exit name and the one that matches is near the end of the name.

16. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Forgot that feature, but always appreciate it; when on a highway the split screen shows information concerning upcoming exits. Very useful.... take as an example rest stops should you have passengers that need to 'go'.

The arrow most often as you know allows for expansion of longer names, sounds like it may not be right on your 13.1?, and often if the attraction or service station is far enough off the highway, a MAP button is displayed and you can press to invoke on the fly routing to get their.

Again, very helpful system to have in vehicle. I don't miss the old paper map days.

Roland

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Freeway Mode"? Yes, It's probably the most-used splitscreen mode I use on the highway, followed by "Dual Map Mode".

Yes but as you know, things are blanked out when the car is in motion. When the navigation instruction is displaying the next exit (Advanced Lane Guidance), it'll display the name too, right? In some cases, the name is too long and because you are moving, the ability to scroll is blanked out.

18. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    True.... I know that tons of stuff doesn't work when underway, that is why I put certain programmed destinaions on the list just below the map image... you can get those anytime, and I find you can actually scroll through a few previous destinations when moving before it makes them inaccessible. It could very well be that I thought I could press the arrow indicative of a long name but never tried it to find it was 'greyed' out.

I'm sure you did and are correct, I only made an assumption that it would operate.

P.S. with you operating in more snowy weather than I tend to.... have you had issues with the mudguards you added?

Roland

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've used up my 5 preset locations for quick access. They're really useful. It would be nice to navigate to people in your address book. (As it stands, you have to navigate to a telephone number that you inputted into the address book. So it's possible, just a lot more difficult than it should be).

Issues in what way? I have the longer mudguards (European version instead of the shorter US version). It helps catches snow and leaves instead of having it pile up in the undercarriage. I just knock out the snow so that I'm not carrying extra weight.

It is long so if you parallel park, there's the potential to scratch it on the curb.

20. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That issue of being able to hit the curb when parking is one of the concerns that left me to have leaves and stuff build up on the car during those times of the year.

Also, when you have passengers, going over some of the speed bumps, especially the higher ones that you tend to crawl over, I'd be concerned about landing on the splash guard as the vehicle came down off the hump.

As it is, I have had the bottomed center of the car scrape over cables strung over top of a speed bump when leaving a 'redneck' parking lot with a visiting circus/fair. Doesn't hurt the pickup truck crowd with the ground clearance being higher than Prius' 5.5 inches.

Because of this concern I neglected to add the guards to my car despite wishing to.

Roland

21. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I see. Yeah I've bottomed out the centre of the car with passengers in the back but I'm sure it's similar with other compact cars.

I've gotten used to clearing the mudguards of leaves. The Gen 2 Prius was notorious for holding stuff in the rear mudguards and rear skirt (I've sprayed water out and have had mulch and muddy water come out of the rear skirt.. ugh. It's not a problem in the Gen 3). We added mudguards to our old '02 Camry (they were short) and our 2000 Corolla LE came with really long mudguards.