1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Pricing is available! Starts at $21k, goes up to $31,770 with options

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ohthetrees

ohthetrees New Member

Does anyone know whether the 17-inch alloy wheels come with any suspension or performance differences? I read somewhere that models with 17-inch wheels (I guess that is the V's at this point) will have a quicker steering ratio, and a slightly sportier suspension. True?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it has a quicker steering ratio but larger turning circle.

I'm positive that it does not have a sportier suspension.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The quicker ratio will be applied to all cars "soon" per Prius Team, and the suspension tuning will also be applied to all production cars. The turning circle will be increased on the 17" version as bump stops are applied to the steering rack to prevent tire/wheel rubbing inside the fenders.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Per Toyota, the Blizzard Pearl paint is a $220 MSRP premium.

5. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lots of good discussion here. Regarding packaging, I wanted to repost this message from a few months ago.

Toyota and Packaging

Thanks for all the feedback!

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  6. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Exactly.

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh goodie, Doug and the team are reading along....

Question - is there a place where exterior and interior color options are listed (and restrictions between color combos)? In another thread "which color are you going to get" this came up, I was wondering if/when it would be announced.

I do like the pricing. Sadly, the moon roof, although "cool" <heh, a pun> is too expensive an option for my blood. Either a IV w/nav or (dreams dreamy dreams) a V with tech package for me. Wonder how the finances are looking....

8. Jedi2099

Jedi2099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Extremely Disappointed by Pricing and Option Packaging

This pretty much sums up my thoughts about the way these packages came down. Prime example is the backup camera - the Extra $2,800 that you have to shell out over the Prius2 to get something that was in the Old Pkg #2....

...and as was pointed out -there is feature overlap between the Prius3 your forced to get to even select the Nav package - just to get the backup camera... :(

Im not gonna comment much on the advanced tech package. Out of the range of what id spend but i agree as well there with others - why cant it be offered on the lower packages.

Overall - Mixed bag for me. Im happy to see they kept the base models at the relative same price as current offerings but upset about the way some of these packages came down..

For the Toyota Team- If you really want me to get excited about paying 1,800 For a Nav and backup camera - Something like Garmin Branded NAV system might be something to look into. I really wish i could cram my Nuvi 660 into the guts of my car some days :)

9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Extremely Disappointed by Pricing and Option Packaging

I agree. If you like the 2010 Prius II but want 3 door smart key and a sunroof, you have to pay $7400 more. I don't know of any other vehicle that requires Nav to get a sunroof or splits one door and 3 door smart key.

I don't expect Toyota to be altruistic but in this economy, people are looking for great value. Manufacturers have to balance wish to get the most money from a customer with need to attract more customers who might not otherwise buy.

I'll probably wait a few months to see how things shake out. Maybe they will offer some sort of an "value package" as companies do to spur sales some times.

Roy

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This has been known for quite some time now.

Model 1227 Prius IV has the option of SR Package but no AT Package.
    Model 1229 Prius V has the option of the AT Package but no SR Package.

It was announced in the very beginning that they intentionally did this to keep the vehicle from becoming too heavy and thereby affecting fuel economy. Fuel economy is the first and foremost consideration.

In addition the Prius V will at most be maybe 5% of total shipments. At $33000+ it's WAY out of the normal pricing range of the normal Prius buyer. Small dealers may never see one. Larger stores with 20 or 40 or 50 units in inventory may have one or two of these.

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the current economic climate I think Toyota did themselves a huge favor by keeping the new models so affordable. The big sellers IMO will be...
    Prius II and III.
    Prius IV without the SR+Navi is pretty attractive ( $26550 ).
    Prius V without the AT Package is in line also ( $28020 or $29820 w/Navi )

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not too surprised.

Looks like a III with Nav will be $25.6k bottom line price .... $2k less than my 09 and of course a notably better car.

Ouch!

13. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Must be Prius IV with Solar/Nav. Me Too. Boo-ya!:rockon:

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A word of caution just so people don't get unnecessarily upset when visiting a store to buy or place an order...don't forget to add the $750 Freight, Processing and Handling charge to the prices shown herein.

That is unless you want to go to the port, find your specific VIN amongst the thousand of vehicles there, then ask a kindly longshoreman to find and install the various accessories - that is after he finds your fob(s), do your own state inspection and PDI ( probably not legal ) and then drive it home.

15. Kapena Gary

Kapena Gary New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Dave (& team) and Toyota,

I think the pricing is great. I know exactly what I want. Now, all I have to do is decide on color. Every color I have suggested gets a big NO from my daughter in law. White - Red - Sandy - Gray?

I'm looking forward to getting my first Toyota. I think I'm number 94 on the waiting list at Longo Toyota.

Thank again for a great price point.

Aloha,
    Gary

16. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So are you saying that the Canadian car, which is available with both AT and SR, gets a lower MPG rating?

Toyota can only control the weight so much. A single 100 pound driver is going to get better fuel economy than a 200 pound driver and 3 passengers. Surely the weight of the SR pales in comparison to the variations in weight to which the owners will subject the cars.

17. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On Option Packages versus a la carte options: Several times over the years, I priced Hondas and comparable Toyotas. In earlier years, Toyota had tended to have the options listed individually, while Honda would have three or four trim levels, each with a set menu. The Hondas would come out as better value for the money that way. So, I think the way the G3 Prius levels are set up is pretty good--the lesser evil.

On buying a remaining G2: I feel sorry for the fellow who committed to buy the G2 at full price. I have been planning to pick up a G2, when I see how far the current "perfect storm" of factors will take the prices down. If I can get a new `09 package #2 for under $18k, I will go for it. The current extreme excess of supply over demand ought to bring such a result
    about. This time, there was no chance to make the old generation scarce during the summer before the new one comes, as was done with the transition from seventh generation Honda Civic to eighth, in `06. I will probably forget about the hypothetical used `07 G2 I have been looking for.

18. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. If fuel economy was the first and foremost consideration, why did Toyota add a heavy moonroof? Solar panels by themselves do not require a moonroof on which to be mounted, and would have been lighter. Why does Toyota offer the heavier 17" wheels? The 3-4 mpg loss is a big hit, percentage-wise. 17" wheels are probably one of the easiest and most available after-market item to install, so Toyota didn't have to force it upon us within their "Advanced Technology Package". What makes a 17" wheel "advanced technology" anyway? The solar cooling feature is advanced technology. :confused: The larger wheels, not.

The Prius is mostly about low emissions, high fuel economy, and cutting-edge technology. Toyota, please reconsider your package options and offer up a package that truly maximizes fuel economy and maximizes the advanced technology. That includes the solar cooling, but not necessarily the moonroof. If the moonroof must come with it, so be it.

If the argument is too much weight or too low of an MPG rating, then ditch the 17" wheels. Such a simple solution.

My wife and I have owned nothing but Toyotas -- six of them -- Celica, Corolla, Camry, RAV4, and currently driving the HiHy and Prius. We have held onto each of the first four for 7-15 years. I would be content to hold off buying a new Prius for another 5 years or so, but for the first time, the new 2010 Prius is so compelling that I may stray from convention. The only thing holding me back is the inability to get all the high-technology features in one model.

Thank you, Doug and the rest of the Prius Team, for listening and for your comments!

1 person likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cause it's 6 MP3 discs. 4 discs is enough to drive across the country without hearing a song repeated (~6-7 days, 8 hours a day of driving).

Why do you need the nav if you already have one?? And it's only $1,800 for the nav, not $3k. $1,800 also includes XMNavTraffic capability, backup camera and bluetooth streaming audio.

Navigation systems have been packaged with the JBL audio system since the JBL audio was introduced.

Yes

It's not the roof and AT. it's the roof, and 17" alloys. I'm sure the EPA rating is valid for a certain weight range. The weight difference btwn the Prius I and Prius V AT is definitely quite a bit. (I'll wager 100-200lbs). Putting the roof in there may exceed a range where the EPA rating is valid and therefore the Prius needs to be tested and thus Toyota is only allowed to publish the worse mileage of the two tests.

2 people like this.
  20. dawtips

dawtips New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm going to echo the thoughts of others as well. A Prius V w/ the AT package and a moon roof (doesn't have to be solar panels) is very appealing.