1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Audio Specs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HTMLSpinnr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where is the JBL AMP located in the III? Can you please list the links to the AMP/speakers installs?

thanks

2. grantb3

grantb3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess you haven't heard the Audi Bose systems then. The Prius JBL sounds fantastic by comparison. I'm waiting for the day that PSB makes car speakers...

3. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out Focal. They make great studio monitors and car audio speakers. Really nice imaging, natural sound, etc. Quite pricey, but better than most the other high end audio speakers, imo.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone noticed that on the JBL systems, the bass is stronger in the front?? Is that due to the "woofers" in the front doors vs. the full range in the rear?? There's more "boom" in the front. I have the fader set up to 2 clicks to the rear.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom, there should be as the 6x9" are in the front and on 6" in the rear.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    come again?

it should be stronger because of the larger speaker??

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Larger speakers play the lowest frequencies better. It would be natural for the JBL amp to route these to the the 6x9 front speakers. But these frequencies are non directional so you should not be able to tell what speakers they are coming from.

Its likely that the amp is set up for the rear speakers to be fill. That is they are amplified less then the front so that a sound stage is set up in front of you. How well Toyota did with the equalization and fade is a matter of differing opinion. Set it up the way that you want to hear the music. Depending on your taste you may want to add some aftermarket sound components.

On the us cars the jbl system has 8 speakers, so there should be components in the rear not a single co-axle speaker. Is the canadian version a 6 speaker system like the non-jbl US? I have no idea what the crossover frequencies are in the car. Does anyone?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our sound system should be identical (both the 6-speaker and the 8-speaker JBL audio).

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I can't tell which speaker it's coming from (I only found out when I pressed my ear against the door speaker and then came back here to double check the specs). Like I said, my setting fader is set to the rear two clicks (R2).

I was sitting in the back and noticed that the bass wasn't as strong so I put my head forward between the front seats and I could tell that the bass was a little stronger (and a bit muddy). Sitting back in the centre of the rear seat, it was a tad flat. I think the 2010 can benefit from a subwoofer.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have my non-JBL 6 speaker system set to R1. I'm changing the head unit out this weekend, and should have a subwoofer added this month.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well let us know how it works. I think the 6-speaker system is less bass-heavy (is it not?). I realised i wasn't too clear in my last post. i meant to say that the 6-speaker system btwn Canada & US is the same (ditto the JBL)

11. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know what the maximum mounting depth/clearance is for the front door speakers (6"x9")....I'm considering a few different aftermarket replacement speakers and I want to ensure that they will fit....adding spacer rings is no big deal, I just want to make sure they'll physically fit without hitting the glass.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw, I am able to connect my netbook to stream bluetooth audio (using windowsmedia player) but so far I only get play/pause. No track up/down. I will play around some more.

Edit: Scratch that. I can track up/down. I forgot you have to use the physical SEEK/TRACK buttons or the ones on the steering wheel. For some reason, I was looking for a soft button.

1 person likes this.
  13. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's something wrong with the colour scheme. I'm sure the rear door speakers aren't the same size as the tweeters in the upper door.

Ahh ok, I've heard of the distributed subwoofer (first learned about it in the G35). Oddly enough, the bass in the front door speaker is stronger than the rear door speaker.

15. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    6x9 can put out a lot more bass than a round 6.5" speaker.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point :cool:.

17. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although the surface area of a 6x9 is greater than that of a 6.5" round driver, the geometry of the 6x9 driver makes it more susceptible to physical distortions affecting fidelity, particularly at higher output levels; this is why the most high-end component speaker systems use round drivers, particularly for the lower frequency range.
    If you're going to use a separate subwoofer, then the conventional wisdom says go with a round speaker component system up front.

18. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is true, but for space available, 6x9 makes the most sense. Toyota JBL uses Distributed Subwoofer system, whereby the woofers make the bass, while the midtweets (in dash and upper doors) takes care of all the frequency higher than bass frequency. So, the 6x9 are mainly for bass...and fidelity for bass frequency is not as important.

In high end components, there is a tweeter and a midrange woofer. In the JBL system, these two speakers are covered by one speaker, the midtweet speaker. So, not much midrange goes through the 6x9 for you to be concerned about fidelity. All high frequency and midrange frequency go through the midtweet.

This is why in high end systems, you have a tweeter, midrange, AND a subwoofer. In the JBL car systems, you have the midtweets to hand the high frequency and midrange...and the 6x9 to handle the deep bass. Of course, 6x9 can't match a true subwoofer in deep deep bass nor earth-shattering bass, but it is decent enough in a car audio for it to work.

I have not really test the Prius JBL system, but the JBL in the Camry is pretty damn good! The one in my Sienna is also pretty good. My van has midtweets, 6x9s, AND a subwoofer too.

19. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I looked at replacing the 6x9s a wile back - the mounting depth really lowers what you can do. For this reason, I went the 6.5" component route (with separate tweeter). Keep in mind, highs are directional - while lows aren't.

There was a thread a while back with a good cheap under-chair subwoofer. For the record, I went with Infinity reference components, and the Boss bass600 for under seat http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...63607-just-little-more-bass-would-nice-4.html ... Funny - many bought it last year before Christmas - it was $70 including shipping... Now it's $140...

20. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mounting depth is shallow because most (if not all) JBL woofers use neodymium magnets which are tiny compared to the older big magnets.

Yup, the midrange and highs are directional...that is why, in a correct system, the midrange and tweeter are together in a kickpanel or something similar. Although i am not a big fan of midtweets, JBL's midtweets are not half bad...they produce highs good enough (for car environment) while making decent midrange. This is why i like how JBL puts the midtweets up high in the upper dash firing upward & toward the cabin. This elevates the soundstage and makes it more expansive as opposed to mounting the tweeter in the doors. The 6x9s and the 6.5 woofer (in the rear doors) are responsible for lower frequencies (including bass) and, as you said, bass are not directional.

Even though bass is supposedly non-directional, i always like for the subwoofer to be placed in front or near the passenger cabin. The sound pressure or whatever it is called is directional. So, if you place the subwoofer in the cargo area, the rear passenger will hear/feel more bass than the front passenger. This is why i kinda like Toyota/JBL setup. Granted, it is far from perfect, but for a car environment, it ain't bad. The bass (although not particularly deep) is more evenly distributed around the cabin and is thus, more NON-directional than a single big subwoofer unit. The Camry's JBL system benefits from 6x9s in the front door and also the rear deck. The 6x9s in the rear deck uses the cargo space as a box.

(In the same line of thought, this is why in a home theater setup, you ideally want the subwoofer to be in the front of the room with your front channels.)