1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Brake Delay Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Christian_cool, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Christian_cool

Christian_cool Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone.
    I have the 2010 Gen 3 Toyota Prius. Driving 128.700 km until now.
    I experiences the last couple of times from 2 months ago, that if i brake and roll over an uneven payment on the road, it feels like the car just release the brake, (not for a moment) but continues until i stop. So i have to push harder on the brake to achieve the desired braking distance. And I only ran over a little bump on the roads as the road itself is ok.

I heard about that Toyota Prius had several brake issues related to the software? Tomorrow i am going to the dealer to report my problem.
    Do Toyota still offer a software fix, or they have to change something in the car that would cost?

Thanks for the help :)

patrickfdupont likes this.
  2. patrickfdupont

patrickfdupont Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've reported this same issue to Toyota (I have a 2011 that I purchased new) and they claim they know nothing about it. They want me to identify a specific local driving scenario that consistently recreates the issue so that they can test drive it and experience it themselves. I haven't been able to consistently recreate the issue - but when it happens its quite disturbing since it feels like you are being rear-ended and temporarily lose your brakes. My concern is that it will someday happen when I am close to a vehicle in front of me and I may not be able to regain control of my brakes in time to avoid an accident.

Hopefully someone has news on this issue to report - I'd love to get this addressed.

A_Man and Christian_cool like this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are several threads related to this for the Gen III throughout PriusChat. It is/was a known issue. There is a software update that lessens, but does not eliminate, the sensation.

Christian_cool likes this.
  4. Christian_cool

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really donĀ“t hope Toyota would claim the same to me. It's hard to prove it since its under special circumstances this happens.. speed/braking/road condition etc.. It happen like 10-15 times in 2 months :/ . One time it happend before the red light with car in front, if i didn't push the brake harder i would have crashed into the front car, then it would be impossible to blame the cars baking system for that.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recently had the brakes disengage just for a moment, very strange feeling, then they came back on. And then the dash lit up with a warning "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM". Apparently the car's computer lost communication. Might be a factor.

Where have all the Prius gone... | PriusChat

6. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a 2010 and it does the same thing.
    Seems that there is a momentary loss of brakes when you go over a bump with the brakes applied.

7. ramattos

ramattos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same thing happened with the gen 2 but with the 3 it's less of an effect. I can drive the same road daily and hit the same drain cover and trigger it if I want, but losing regen brakes is unnerving.

8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here. If I hit a bump or pothole while on the brake, it loses the stopping power by about 50%

9. Christian_cool

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I contacted the Dealer and spoke with them long time ago. And been there several times ..so as i understand they will investigate this issue i have .. so far i haven't got any reply from them, since they don't take it serious.. and i read several places that a software update should help. Since i experienced loss of brake lot of times.