1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius car door dome light and other key battery ?s

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jjim, Jan 24, 2013.

1. jjim

jjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. My 2010 Prius car door and key light does not turn on. In the past couple months I have been unable to get the light to come on when opening a door, or being next to the car with my keys.

The interior light does come on when I slide the switch over to that position, but door light is not present. I have attempted to change out the light with no luck.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and rectified it?

2. My dashboard indicates that I have a low key battery for the past several months, does this have any effect on anything in the car, or does it reduce the range of the transmitter for opening the doors?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. The low key battery will affect the interior light as you approach the car with it locked. It should not affect the interior light when you open the door, provided that the dome light switch is set to open with door. Double-check the switch setting. If the dome lights come on when you slide the switch to interior then the bulbs are OK.

2. The low key battery does affect the range of the transmitter for opening the doors. You need to replace the key battery first and then see what problems you may still have with the interior lights.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'll need a CR1632 battery. I just replaced the fob battery in my Camry's Smartkey fob.

It's not difficult, just pay attention to where everything goes when you take it apart. Also, the end of your manual emergency key, the one stowed in the side of your fob, inserts perfectly to pry the halves of the fob apart.

4. jjim

jjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

5. jjim

jjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am guessing the CR1632 is the key battery, and the FOB battery is what? I am not familiar with the FOB terminology.

Thanks for the replies all!

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are the same. Key fob, Smartkey... ;)

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to clarify the interior light switch position I checked mine when I got home tonight. The switch position left to right is OFF-DOOR-ON. You are sure your switch is in the middle DOOR position when you open the door and the light does not comes on. Then when you slide it to the right ON position the lights come on?

If this is the case I would check the door switch on the inside of the door frame.