1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius, FFH and Insight added to Idaho lab fleet (government long term tests)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Nov 7, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure which subforum this should go to and hope this isn't a repost. I just noticed that the 2010 Prius, FFH and Insight recently got added to the long term test fleet at Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity - Hybrid Electric Vehicles.

I also noticed that the 2 NAHs have hit 160K miles and the Tahoe hybrids have accumulated pretty high mileage. The Tahoes held up reasonably well except that one of them needed an engine replacement (!) and the other needed a new AC compressor and accumulator.

The HEV battery tests they performed on the 3 new additions might be of interest to some of the EEs here.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey, but the other one didn't fail, so that's only a 50% failure rate. :madgrin:

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a side note, I looked at the 2 Vue hybrids (one got wrecked in an accident), and both needed HV battery replacements (under warranty). One of them had the pack replaced twice. Maybe this was related to a recall on their HV batteries (IIRC)?

One (or both?) of the Silverado hybrids needed an HV battery pack and both seemed to have all sorts of stuff fail.

GM seems to have AC compressor problems too as the two Vues and the one Tahoe hybrid needed replacements.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Didn't GM have a massive recall on the battery packs at one point?

This is why I would consider buying an advanced technology car from Toyota, but would never consider buying one from GM.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a side note (not part of the govt fleet), a guy at Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8 - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars says his Tahoe hybrid needed a new engine too along w/a multitude of other problems.