1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius(III) Liftgate open - disable beep warning / FE observation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cnbmis, Sep 28, 2014.

1. cnbmis

cnbmis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This tip is more for utility (2010 Prius iii), but does affect FE, so I figured I'd throw it in this forum.

I recently took a jaunt to Fargo to pickup a snowblower (30" wide - fit in back - almost) and had to do the return trip with the liftgate open partway -- I tethered the liftgate protruding center latch to one of the floor anchors along the rear deck, about 24" diagonal strap length -- 19" vertical from liftgate bottom to the bumper. (the liftgate was up only far enough to render my roofline similar to a Prius v)

The narrow end of a carabiner IMAG0406.jpg engages the latch receiver and if pushed in just right, will also register the liftgate as closed -- curing the incessant door warning beep while driving 3+ mph. It's just a cruddy keychain-style IMAG0400.jpg appx 3" long and 1.25" above narrow point. To release the carabiner - simply push the liftgate release. Also, the rear camera still provides a good view at this angle, which was nice because I had no center rear view. The video clip
    shows the carabiner (upper right) producing the double click you should hear, and confirm by the interior sidelight (lower left) turning off.

I did *NOT* use this carabiner for securing the hatch - I had beefier pieces for that... Also, be sure you have appropriate load securing and that any items toward the rear interior are also secured (paper, trash, etc.) to avoid anything blowing out the opening.

Fuel Economy hit somewhere around 20% negative -- traveling 60-65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind for at least 50+ miles (total about 280 miles) in this configuration was somewhere around 40-45 mpg as reported on the MFD 5 minute chart and as displayed by an SG][. Overall average appx 10 mpg less than my current norm. This idea is somewhat tolerable for short hops, but less so for a long haul, and a bit noisy -- but better than most any van or larger vehicle.

fwiw, the handles of the snowblower faced front, with the business end tilted up so the front edge of auger frame was flat against the liftgate interior. Height of motor / exhaust & output chute will vary and may require some padding / wrenching to make fit (this unit was quite low profile).
    Proceed at your own risk, I accept no liability for damage, loss or injury.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter weather warning: Summer's over...Minnesotans getting their snowblowers ready.
    Another person does something similar to fit in a 10-ft kayak that does not quite fit.

The other potential safety concern is exhaust fumes, the CDC recommends open a window bit if a hatchback is open, presumably to clear CO fumes out the rear. Luckily a warmed up Prius probably make very little CO so risk is lower these days. Not sure why it would be as much as -10 MPG, but obviously the aerodynamics are not ideal.