1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, May 15, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went through the US maintenance schedule, and converted to spreadsheet format. Please feel free to proof read and comment.

Edits:

1. deleted "inspect front differential" intervals (identical to "inspect transaxle fluid"?)

2. filled in some of the cabin air filter intervals - (appeared to be some gaps in the Toyota Schedule, and/or omission regarding solar or non-solar)

3. some general abbreviating and truncating of the service descriptions, for fit.

2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US).jpg

Addendums:

Jan 26, 2015: If you revise "Inspection Transaxle Fluid" to "Replace Transaxle Fluid", it's pretty decent schedule. ;)

Attached Files:

#1 Mendel Leisk, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a good summary of the scheduled maintenance for the Gen3 Prius up to 120,000 miles.

Oil changes and new filter every 10,000 miles
    Replace the air filter every 30,000 miles
    Replace engine/inverter coolant at 100,000 miles
    Replace sparkplugs at 120,000 miles

Most of the other items you can inspect yourself. If your dealer wants to charge you for anything more than those 4 items they are ripping you off.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel, I was eventually going to do that myself so you saved me some work:cool:

Extra thanks for the .xls format so we can easily add our own items like transmission fluid changes

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The red line is "inspect" transaxle fluid. I made the pdf first, and then a jpg from that, and then I think this site is adding more compress/downsample. The pdf's and excel file are ok though. And of course if you download the excel file, you're in business.

Thanks for the thanks ;)

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice to have this on-line, thanks!

7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks great; I have one grammatical observation. "Inspect brakes..." is footnoted as (3), so where are footnotes 1 & 2?

8. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see anything about when to 'change' transaxle fluid.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I elected to leave it as-is: it is footnote [3] in the publication. Footnotes [1] and [2] are pretty self-explanatory, so I stripped them out. I cut-and-pasted most of the text from a pdf document, but then did some pruning to get it to fit 8.5x11 landscape.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, that's because the official Toyota USA interval is...: infinity :eek:

I will be changing mine a bit sooner.

11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    10-4...thanks for the spreadsheet.:)

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It will appear on your copy when you put it there:D. Looks like Mendel has given us a spreadsheet of the maintenance Toyota calls for. We are free to modify our personal copies as we see fit.

13. elmo2274

elmo2274 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This may seem like a stupid question but does the brake fluid ever need to be changed? I've got about 40K on mine and just brought it in to NTB for an inspection and they told me about the cabin air filter and also said that I should have something done with my brake fluid. I'm pretty sure they said it needed to be flushed. There was also some other fluid they were going to change or flush. Looking at the maintenance spreadsheet (Thank you!) this just looks completely wrong.

14. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They are following the schedule for maintaining their bank account (at the expense of yours).

The brake fluid is not on the schedule. No doubt it needs changing eventually, but probably not for years, and certainly not on your 2010. We don't use our friction brakes anything like non-hybrids do.

Most normal cars say 3 year/36000 miles or something like that. I'm approaching 2 years with 27000 and the stuff looks like new.

Leave the reservoir closed as contact with air speeds the demise of the fluid.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, Honda recommends (in their schedules) to "change" brake fluid, every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Our local Toyota dealer has a posted charge for this service, somewhere around $80 I think.

I'll likely go with this interval for our Prius, and it's one service I'd rather entrust to the dealership.

And BTW, the spreadsheet I posted is just the US Schedule, from the book (or at least that's my attempt, there may still be typos). They make no mention of brake fluid change or flush. Also, they make no mention of Transaxle fluid change.

FWIW, I intend to change transaxle fluid on ours, fairly early for first change, then spread out subsequent changes more. Maybe at 1 year, then bi-yearly thereafter?

16. emPG

emPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 Prius goes in tomorrow for a 35,000 mile check- the dealer has 3 options that range from 39.00 to 108.00. The higher priced options involve some additives to the gas and oil- at least I think that is what he told me- Has anyone else had experience with this type of service options? In looking at the spreadsheet I am planning to go with the 39.00 service unless someone more knowledgeable than I can tell me the benefits of additives?????

I am grateful for any advice as I am not car savvy except for what I have learned here. Thanks.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be inclined to just stick to the Toyota schedule. Personally, I'd also change engine oil and filter, for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm in Canada, and 5000 mile (8000 km) is still the interval.

2. 5000 mile is long enough for me, regardless of what Toyota says.

But really, the only things you're obligated to do is pull off the tires, eyeball the brakes, and put tires back on in different locations. Oh, and check that your floor mat's ok.

MattPetty likes this.
  18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know your post is two months old but those additives are complete crap. I know in some cars the manual even says not to use any. I'm not sure if the Prius says that or not. If oil additives were worth a damn the toyota oil you may be using would already have them. Dito on the gas.

Thanks to OP for the chart. As usual with cars these days this one basically needs very little attention--sticking with the manual and ignoring all the complete nonsense/fraud-rubbish that dealerships push. I know there are people out there still happily paying hundreds of dollars on 30k and 60k intervals, a huge money maker for dealerships and buys the owner absolutely jack squat!

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to comment: I wouldn't doubt the US Maintenance schedule started out in chart form, say with dates/miles across the top and service items down the left side. Then ticks or x's were put in, and you could read the thing at a glance.

Then, some executive-material manager decided to convert it to the format you see in the US publication, going date-by-date. There are some marginal advantages to this approach: you can see at a glance just what's needed for each service. But chart format still trumps it: dead easy to follow.

There's actually a few typos in the US publication, I'm certain: the intervals go along regularly, and then there's an omission. Unless you see it in chart format it's more-or-less impossible to notice these anomolies.

And then there's the Canadian format. It's a few light years worse than the US publication. First, it covers every vehicle Toyota has. And it's in colliquail format: sentence after sentence rife with exceptions and provisions. After a while your pursuit of understanding arrives at the brick wall of exasperation, LOL.

Anyway, I'll go back to sleep.

20. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, they dumb it down so that anybody capable of turning a page can very plainly see what they need but of course at the same time it requires many more pages and if your brain is working at the level of a chimp or higher you are probably ok with the matrix approach :D I prefer the matrix!