1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, May 15, 2011.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to add it's hard for most to check the transaxel fluid level. So maybe this is something i would let a dealer do, cause i wonder if toyota would cover a transaxel under warranty if somebody drove it around with a low fluid level and it failed cause of the low fluid level. They also say to check it in the warraty/maint. book

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They could if they know it wasn't checked, however I'm quite sure the warranty also expressly says that even though you need to do the items in the booklet to maintain it they cannot deny simply if you cannot prove you've done it; i.e. if you tell them you checked the transaxle and you never did the onus is on them to prove you didn't. For all they know you checked it and it was good and a thousand miles later leaked out.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FYI, the cabin air filter replacement is SUPER simple. It requires no tools at all, and you can do it under five minutes.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are changing your own oil checking the transaxle fluid may not be to hard as long as you are under there anyway.

You access it through the oil change door. Take out the fill plug and dip your finger in the hole and see if there is fluid. In fact if you have the front of the car up on ramps you can just loosen the fill plug until you see it seeping out around the threads then re-torque it because the plug will be lower, due to the ramps, than when the transaxle was filled.

Tools required: 10mm allen for your socket set and a torque wrench, 348 in lbs.

Keep a record of what you have done, either on the Toyota Owners site or in a notebook and there should be no warranty problems. As stated above the burden of proof is on them.

5. suebeewankenobi

suebeewankenobi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. So if I have synthetic oil I should still do an oil change every 5K miles? Hubby says OK for 10K

6. suebeewankenobi

suebeewankenobi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. So if I have synthetic oil I should still do an oil change every 5K miles? Hubby says OK for 10K

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Using 0W20 synthetic oil change oil and filter every 10K. Hubby is correct. :)

8. vr4playa

vr4playa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wow those are pretty long intervals!

Anything I should look out for on this particular '10 P5 w/ 102k?

Phoenix Craigslist Item - 4091175848(I guess I can't post links yet).

At first I was scared by the mileage, however, it looks like the only major service needed now is a coolant flush with new plugs coming in about a yr.

In addition, supposedly the guy is a dealer and the price is $13.8k and the $15k is OTD w/ tax, title, reg and doc.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I assume from your post you are looking at a used 2010 Prius V (package 5)? if so take a nice long test drive at highway speeds to be sure it tracks correctly. If it wanders around the road don't buy it. Do a VIN check, avoid cars that have been in serious accidents.

One other thing to look for, if it is advertised as a Prius V or package 5 make sure it really is. Some posters have seen and even bought Prius II (package 2) cars that were advertised and sold as Prius V cars.

As mentioned above add a transaxle (transmission) fluid change to that list. It's not on Toyota's schedule but those of us who have done it and have had the old fluid analyzed pretty much agree it is needed for long life.

vr4playa likes this.
  10. vr4playa

vr4playa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checked the VIN and it's a certified one owner car w/ no major accidents. It is also for sure a 5 as it has all the options(Nav, Backup Cam, 17" wheels, Xenons, Bluetooth/Voice Command, leather, etc).

Did about a 10mi test drive w/ 5mi on expressway with a smooth ride and none of the vibration/rattle that I was warned of on another thread.

Still want to see if I can get it down to $14.5k OTD, however, w/ all the options I think it's worth it.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds good. One minor point those should be LED headlights if it is a 5, the 1 through 4 had halogens, no Xenons for the Gen 3. If it really does have xenon headlights that would mean someone has added after market xenons and that would indicate that it is not a 5 because no one would replace LEDs with xenons.

Be careful anyone can add 17" wheels. The Nav, Backup Cam, and Bluetooth/Voice Command were also available in versions 3 and 4 and both the 4 and the 5 had factory leather. If in fact it does have the LED headlights then it is a 5. Also if it has radar cruise control and lane keeping assist that would verify it has the Advance Technology Package which was only available on the 5. There were, however, some version 5s sold without the ATP.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 5 also has the tighter turning radius, although I don't see how you could verify that...

Our Canadian "Touring" is similar in a lot of respects to US 5 version, has some sort of fibrous liner in the rear wheel wells.

Has it got the fogs? (another 5 item I think)

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know, this just occurred to me when I saw this thread again. Perhaps this has already come up and forgive me if it has. But if the manual indicates an inspection of the trans-axle at 30, 60, 90K, you would be exposing it to the air (assuming it is a sealed system anyway). Now I have seen where a few members have been told by techs that once you replace the fluid (before a 120K) you have to then maintain a 30K change interval (because of exposure). This would imply that if you "inspect" the fluid (specified by the maintenance manual) you would have to also change it. What gives? Probably over-thinking things as usual. :(

14. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm curious about the carbon buildup cleaning they recommended to me at 45k, worth it, wait, or DIY?

LG-MS870 ? 2

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't heard that one before. I wonder what the air could possibly hurt? it's just a box of gears with a couple of MG sets. Surely they don't evacuate the air and replace it with something (N2) when they put it together in the factory.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I would pass on that recommendation. Sound like another scam to get into your wallet. Ask them to show where it says it is recommended by Toyota.

17. Tom N55

Tom N55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe I am missing something on your chart, but what about Radiator coolant? I am thinking of having it changed every three years/50,000 miles. Also how long can you go without replacing the radiator hoses and belts?

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point. Perhaps there procedure is to create a vacuum after inspection. Does anyone have the service manual entry for inspection of the atf?

19. mr.jerry

mr.jerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace sparkplugs at 120,000 miles

The footnote says that California Emissions vehicles, the interval is 150,000 miles.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's in the graph, replacement at 100000 miles (or 10 years). I know conventional wisdom is a lot sooner, still: I'm thinking to take this one at face value. The reservoirs will likely need top up sooner though.

do not know about hoses, but seems to me if you're in it for the long haul maybe the same interval, ie: replace hoses at the same time?

I don't think there are any belts on the 3rd gen, that was one of the selling points.