1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Models and Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tom! Hopefully we'll be able to fill in that pricing data soon!

2. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wow, I think Toyota may knocked this out of the park. I can get everything I want (Package V) without any of the costly stuff I don't want (DVD Nav, Solar/Moonroof, Advanced Tech).

Simply amazing. Toyota could have been greedy and bundled the high dollar items into other packages, but they kept them a la carte.

Now we just need to see how much all these packages cost!

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Either I sense sarcasm, or you missed the point. Prius V is bundled only with NAV or AT.

4. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No sarcasm intended. What don't I understand? You mean I can't just get a "Prius V" without any of the "Available Packages"? Those look a la cart items to me. I don't see the DVD Nav listed as equipment on any of the models. Please explain what I'm screwing up.

5. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I'll be doing IF I can get a '10, is trying to find someone with cloth seats that wants leather, so we can swap seat covers. Of course, that's only IF the covers are a direct swap - since you can only get the lumbar/heated with leather, it might make the cover swap difficult.

Otherwise, I might have to see if the spare 06 seat covers I have fit well enough, or look into aftermarket covers. Leather just isn't practical in the hot, humid SE Region (what WERE they thinking, making it mandatory for any decent package?!? It makes NO sense in a very large part of the US).

6. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, Rick, you missed it - he can get the V without any package.

The 10 possible packages (from the Notes of interest), ignoring paint colors:
    1 - Prius 2 (no option packs available)
    2 - Prius 3 no options
    3 - Prius 3 Nav
    4 - Prius 3 Solar
    5 - Prius 4 no options
    6 - Prius 4 Nav
    7 - Prius 4 Solar
    8 - Prius 5 no options
    9 - Prius 5 Nav
    10 - Prius 5 Adv

Of course, if they bring out a Prius 1, there will be 11 total packages at that time.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While it's "possible", I seriously doubt it. From the leak I saw, there were only 8 combinations possible from the above, meaning you likely had to take NAV/SR/AT w/ IV or V. I could be wrong though.

8. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :bounce:

I am drooling over this car. Prius V, no options. Everything I want, nothing I don't. The price just has to be right!

9. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :confused:

What's the word, Toyota?

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, what's more likely, is we may see regional packaging differences like we did before, and only certain "flavors" will be possible.

I'd like to think Prius V would come w/o extra packages, but don't think there'd be a high demand for it. Most people going for bigger options are going to want extras like NAV or AT, despite AT's likely steep premium.

Again, totally speculation though.

11. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're probably right. Most people who go for the upgrades tend to want stuff like DVD Nav, too. Hopefully there will be enough "stripped down" V's produced that I can find one somewhere. I suppose I could live with paying for DVD Nav, but no deal if I have to pay for all that AT stuff.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its a hard decision when you don't know price.
    If the deal was good enough, I"m sure there are items everyone would love to have.
    But if its going to cost dearly for some options, those same persons would rather not lose the whole baby with the bathwater as they couldn't afford it all.

The only hint I've read so far is to get what you think you really want because the deal is going to be worth it.... but I can't read into that either and still feel safe.

I'm basing that off of the advice to not pick another vehicle "competitor" you would rather have until you know the price of this!

I'm just going for all or nothing on my selection.

I fear there may be many who are so conservative because the price is not yet revealed that they may regret not getting some of the options they've really dreamed about but could never afford until this awesome opportunity!

This "could" be an opportunity of a lifetime, yet on the other hand, if we pick too lucratively, it could become too expensive to access at this time.

What could be even worse may be those who have completely turned down the deal without knowing what the deal is!

Too bad Toyota doesn't just walk up to the bar and say "all Prius's on the house!".. wouldn't that just make it a tad too easy! :p

13. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius Team: I think you guys are out of touch. Let me explain why.

Why don't you take away the driver door SKS too? I mean, I like to open the passenger door with SKS instead of the driver side on my 2006. Reason? I like to open the door for my friends and let them enter first. This is a manner thing I learn from my parents. Also it unlocks all the doors so other people can hop in from other doors. Reducing it to driver side only leaves the SKS unused almost all the time (because I will be using my remote to unlock the doors).

Adding STAR but removing SKS from 2 doors make no sense at all, unless you are planning to force people to subscribe to the STAR service, which I will not (I would pay an one time fee for something but I really hate those monthly fees of any sort)

And the other 2 SKS doors cost so much that you only would put in with heated leather seats?!

I am not done yet!

Now that drives me nuts. Force people to buy the GPS with outdated map if they want a backup camera is many steps backward. I don't know Latin but if I do, I will call the new Prius a "backward" in Latin.

So now, this is the impression I have on your packages:

Unless you (that is, me) go for the highest 2 trims, we (Toyota) are going to put a bunch of stuff you don't want, remove a lot of stuff that you like, and cost you a lot more than that 2009 model. Those who don't want to pay $30K for a Prius, go away and buy a Honda Insight! We are doing this is to ensure that we (again, Toyota) can make our current Prius customers spend a lot more than they are doing now to get the top trims.
    :mad:

1 person likes this.
  14. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Because the '10 has the efficiency monitoring (and other) displays up in the HUD, it doesn't need the big MFD, except for Nav and backup camera. So you only get backup camera if you get a package that has Nav. Makes sense to me.

Tim

15. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not so. Why can't they offer the backup camera and a blank-most-of-the-time screen? I don't mind paying a bit more for just those, but NOT paying a lot more for a GPS that is unreliable and will not use most of the time?

16. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know what the pricing will be, but it seems the base package 2 which I have includes features available on only more expensive packages in 2010. For example, 3-door smart key and back up TV screen. I guess you can always cancel, but why pre-order in the current market? They might sweeten the pot by telling you what the discount incentive is.

Personally, I don't see enough new technology in the '10 over my '08 to be interested. I'm looking for a better battery system or a substantially lower price, like the Insight. The hybrid game is going to be about price. Anybody pricing their hybrid, for example, in the teens is going to lose money until they get to bigger volume. I guess that is part of Honda's strategy to take market share away from Prius and Ford hybrids.

17. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If a Prius V costs $30k w/o options, that's gonna be a major disappointment. I paid $34k for my 2006 HiHy Limited (new, in '06). For all the awesome toys, this is still a mid-size car.

18. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think it's telling that Toyota can't put the 17s and the solar roof together without violating a (presumeably MPG-related) weight budget. Another post mentioned a 2-3 MPG hit for the 17s, and despite the cool-down function of the solar roof, the trade-offs of more weight and disturbed aerodynamics may well negate any efficiency gains, especially if, like me, you mostly park in garages.

I'm starting to conclude that these are both features aimed more at attracting new converts from the world of conventional cars (certainly not a bad thing) and less at advancing the Prius's core mission: burning less carbon-based fuel.

SO, as much as I'd like to be able to open the roof from time to time, and as ugly as those 15" wheel covers are, I'm starting to think the model-package combo I'd be most interested in would be a IV plus navigation, which, in terms of options, actually ends up close to what I have now in my '08 Touring pkg 6.

Tim

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you 1000%.

This has always been my one HUGE complaint about the new packaging. They've moved the backup camera -- which is an important safety device because it enables you to see people who might otherwise be in your rear view blind spot -- from the currently affordable Package #2 to what amounts to a pricey luxury package that includes navigation which is an expensive item that most or a lot of people do not want.

20. 155

155 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Your chart is missing the Bluetooth Audio. Although I missed whether that was part of the advanced tech and navi and solar, or just the advanced tech.