1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Navigation System is really horrible

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TempusFugit, May 21, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder if anyone has found a way to hack into the prius screen with mapping software from one of the good portable GPS systems such as Garmin. It would be great to use the accuracy and simplicity of a Garmin on the big Prius screen. :confused:

2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Look into a Kenwood Excelon DNX8120.
    It has all the features and more of the 2010 navi stereo, AND built-in Garmin Navi that is not DVD-based. AND a nice iPod interface.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, that's why every navigation system comes with a disclaimer that the address may not be correct (esp. if they're scattered along a section of a road, rather than a dense neighbourhood with equally spaced houses). The accuracy of the GPS system (aside from the satellites) is from the mapping data (presumably Toyota uses Navteq maps). Even within companies, maps may vary (for example, TomTom uses TeleAtlas maps but depending on the model, you may get a less detailed map with fewer POIs and potentially less detail in the actual mapping such as roads and land features). Maps play a part in the cost of a GPS system so there's always a balance between the two.

Within a city, inaccuracies in mapping detail exist. For example, one of my friend's house is plotted dead on. When it told me I arrived, I was over the destination icon on the GPS screen and the car was right in front of the house. For another friend, it's off by 5 houses.

The best way to correct these isn't to come online and complain to us (or Toyota). Simply go to Navteq's site and "report a map error". This will help get the errors fixed (even if your house has been on a street that existed for 45 years). TeleAtlas asks for the GPS where the error was found. Navteq might. This way, the map supplier is aware of errors in different models (e.g. if a lotta people start reporting a certain area in a less detailed map, then maybe they should include it in the next map update)

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your NAV needs to be re-set. Re-calibrated. I've never heard of this happening in the Prius NAV after a PROPER tech calibration. I've seen these wacko out prior to PDI when uncalibrated. :rolleyes:

5. Pizza_Daddy

Pizza_Daddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't ever rely on it (vz navigator) to get you to my home town in southern Indiana! ;) I was playing with it when I got my Storm 2 months ago about 20 miles south, and it kept wanting me to take 14miles worth of county gravel roads to get home and there is a major Highway (231) that takes me from the town I was in to my driveway!
    :focus:

6. Pizza_Daddy

Pizza_Daddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess to each their own, but FWIW, I would buy two garmins before I would shuck out 1800 bucks for an in dash Nav System

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's somewhat surprising to me that you're hitting problems w/the nav data on the Prius' nav system. I'd think that for 2010, they stuck w/Navteq data (English Press Releases) which is also what Garmin uses in the US.

Navteq's US data by most accounts is a lot better than their competitor, TeleAtlas used on PNDs like TomToms and Mio Digiwalkers.

8. Holmesman

Holmesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is also a speed calibration (see page 247 of the Navigation System Owner's Manual). Here you can tell the system which average speeds to use for Residential, Main Streets and Freeways. This will help make the time calculations more accurate.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i love VZ NAV... as far as routes goes, you need to change your route settings...your choices,

simplest (least number of turns)

fastest (main roads, freeways, etc)

shortest (the setting you are on...takes shortest routes which can mean DOZENS of turns on all kinds of roads...i even had VZ NAV route me thru an alley once!!)

take the other features VZ nav offers and its a tough option to beat. i like not having to type in addresses... THAT IS WHAT TOYOTA NEEDS: voice recognition inputs for regular street addresses...POI's are not enough

with the expense, its normal to have high expectations, but what is the NAV going to be used for?? pinpoint accuracy? when i use NAV, 95% of the time, i turn it off before i get to my destination simply because i only need to get to within a block or two... so that is all the accuracy i really need.

on my home addy, it did not recognized my house addy. closest i could get was 9 off.... but hey, when i get that close, i dont need any more help.

10. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jim,

- I live in columbus, and I am considering either III/IV with nav but have my doubts on the nav after reading the posts.
    - Also, can you tell me which dealer you purchased from, and how much you paid? and was there a waiting list to get your car?

11. Bilbrey

Bilbrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've owned many NAV systems over the years. I was an early adopter. Each has their own pros and cons (as mentioned already, things like phones having difficulty multitasking, how fast systems recalculate, and the quality of the maps and graphics).

I've most recently had Pioneer AVIC systems and they were OK. Their strength was they are VERY fast at re-caculation if you miss a turn. (Faster than the Prius NAV) And I worked with Pioneer's lead NAV programmer to add the "Vicinity search" function. So now that they finally get it right, I have a Prius. Sigh.

I purchased a Garmin nüvi 765T for my daughter and she loves it. She can take it from her car when she goes hiking. (currently they are about $350 on Amazon) The graphics are great, and the user options very nice. This may be my favorite NAV. (And yes, it does show the current speed limits. And it does show which lane to be in for turns or forks.)

Phones rely on the cel network, but they are always in your pocket. And while I did buy a Garmin, Tom Tom has a new App coming for those of you with iPhones... (See the iPhone info at Tom Tom's website.) And of course, the built in "Maps" for the iPhone, and Google Maps via Safari, are both usable.

The Prius 2010 NAV system is not bad (not perfect, but I can live with it). It is slower both in search and re-caculation, and the graphics in my opinion are not as nice as the Garmin (I like when the Garmin 'zooms in' when you are approaching a junction), but it is 'acceptable' to me. And I like the fact that since it is integrated with the car the NAV can use the speed info if it loses satellites to 'assist' navigation.

I do find the price both Pioneer and Toyota charges for updates to be excessive.
    I find monthly fees for some of the phone NAV systems to be excessive.

I'll add my agreement to the suggestion that map updates should be free for an $1,800 NAV system (for life in my opinion).

Slightly off topic - I'm disappointed in the amount of data the radio displays (station, song and artist). That could be improved on the Prius.

The Garmin (and other add on systems) have the advantage of not being locked out while in motion. I'd like to see more functionality available in the Prius NAV while in motion.

Bottom line: I wanted an integrated system and the Prius NAV is 'acceptable'. Sure, I'd like some of the Garmin features included, but the Prius NAV will suffice for guiding me while on vacations. But realizing that I just spent $1,800 on a NAV system makes me want the best NAV (you pay top dollar, you should get the best).

12. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've read a couple people say that it's only a matter of time until someone figures out a workaround for this...
    Is that a realistic expectation?

13. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Save your money. The nav was terrible in my 03 Avalon and from what I read, still is and the yearly updates cost even more now. I do recommend spending the extra money for the III for the better sound system, esp. if you like XM and/or use bluetooth. 75% of the money I saved on Nav will go in to leather seats. Happy shopping!

14. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spot on

1 person likes this.
  16. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am sorry to disagree but ... I like the nav on my 06 and I am sure I will like it on 2010 some day. I use the voice controls to find address. I am on the road every day locating address. there is a lot of work arounds that makes the nav a very nice unit. Sometime you can locate the street and address will not correct just tell it the street and the city it take you there.

17. Bilbrey

Bilbrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the Prius NAV is usable (which is why I purchased it with my new Prius). But if you have used other NAV systems, like a Garmin, then you see what is possible.

Perhaps a better title for the thread would be:
    "2010 Prius Navigation System could be better"

:)

18. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, all I can say is - My Garmin (which was purchased 4 years ago) has taken me to the front door (not 2 doors away) of EVERY address EVERY time. This includes never previously visited destinations hundreds of miles away - some in rural locations and some in big cities. Not a single failure to get me there, ever.

That's what I expected to experience with the Prius NAV system.

By the way, I have updated the Garmin mapping data twice, at about $60 a whack.

19. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to the Prius Nav manual, the voice announces that you have arrive at your destination several hundred feet before actual arrival to allow for parking. The map display will still show your position relative to the destination.

20. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Actually I would like to try out the Garmin mapping data base on the Prius screen, no matter how good (or bad) the Prius mapping data is. It is an interesting technical problem.

Sooner or later someone will get it done.