1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Plug-In - 60 MPH EV, 13 Mile Range, 1.5 Hour Recharge

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 2, 2009.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks. So, a 3 year wait for a technology that's currently being demo'd. Sounds like Toyota is either Sandbagging the date or simply still doesn't have much faith in the commercial viability of the technology.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2012 is only 2 years away. As for the rollout itself, that would indeed be slow if all they were still doing would be offering a few in select markets then. The impression we're getting is that the offering will be ample numbers worldwide.

How long do you think high-volume production ramp-up should take? For that matter, how many and what price?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep; turning on design, many will freeze up even when outside temps are 20 degrees higher.

Take a look at the Gen III release: It'll be the same. We'll find out WHEN sales begin, only when THEY decide. Toyota feels the heat. The competition is nipping at their heals ... mitsubishi ... nissan ... the Volt ... tesla working on a middle class entry ... the first PHEV/EV out immediately owns the market ... a powerful place to be for the company that delivers first.

4. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, this sounds incredible!

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Sounds to me like Toyota just is not willing to commit to anything right now and have their words used against them later on. As mentioned, the demo program has not even begun yet.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't forget that Toyota is also considering a new larger non-plug hybrid for late next year which uses a lithium-ion battery. Market expansion in that direction at the same time could be fruitful.

7. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that you're hitting closer to the truth on this one. Sounds like Toyota will first intro much smaller lithium batteries in a conventional hybrid and then transition to a plug-in as the technology becomes commercially viable (i.e., profitable). Of course, if another manufacturer forces Toyota's hand and introduces a plug-in sooner, then possibly Toyota will push up the roll out and eat the higher costs for the short term.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Heat pumps for houses will run down into the teens (F) for warmth and still be more efficient than electric strip heating. They do require periodic defrosting once you get close to freezing ambient temperatures, but this happens automatically by running the heat pump in A/C mode for a short while instead of heat mode - the strip heating will kick in during this time.

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Whether this be the driving force or not, I sure hope something causes them to release the PHV sooner than 2012.
    If I'm correct, the fleet test is a 12-month period. If the first phase begins this month, then the first phase will end in Dec2010. So, if they analyze the data and it looks perfect, they could release the PHV sooner. But if the data shows the car needs more work, then it could potentially take several months to redesign (or less time just to make minor recalibrations), and then a new test phase would be required. This is likely why they have said "2012" (maybe they are believers in the Mayan calendar and are just trying to stall. hahahaha), but I'm going to bet that the data from the 2010 tests will be very favorable and only require minor readjusting before the final product.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and I hope... by that time 2nd generation of the Li-ion PHV is available.... with double the range. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise? :)

11. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, this is the type of thread that blossoms into rumors!

We have actually stated previously that 2012 is our target year for retails sales of the Plug-In. I say "target year" because that's what it is. We have a demo program coming early next year. It could be 1 or 2 years long at this point. We're going to analyze the battery performance, the system performance, AND .... (drum roll).... the customer performance. I know everyone on PC thinks these things will sell like hot cakes but the truth is there are MANY unknowns of MANY types, especially if you start talking any real sales volumes.

Anyway, look for some interesting news coming this auto show season. Gotta run! :D (Lol, how's that for a bomb?)

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

4 people like this.
  12. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't have any doubt they will sell like hot cakes, as long as the price is kept down...if its $40K, then no, they won't [no matter what the tax credit is].

13. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the mpg of the plug in if you don't plug it in?

I am asking to see if, once you buy it, you are committed to plugging it in. To put it another way, say the mpg is 100 mpg if you plug in (by whatever measurement) but only 40 mpg if you don't. This means that once you buy the car, you better plug in every night or suffer a penalty (vs. having a regular Prius). I want to know if it is this type of a deal.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i doubt there would be perfomance penalty if you dont plug it in. you might even get better mpg if they boosted electric generators. this is still an Prius, not an Volt.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, the MPG in hybrid mode will be better. That info was given in the plug-in tech video.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    another 2 years to wait... glad i got the 2010. now if it would have been out this summer, i would have been pissed. might work out. i can trade in the SPM maybe...

17. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is one of the key questions we'll find out.

Not necessarily. This is an open question.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    seems like it would. in normal hybrid operation, the battery provides a boost which reduces need to burn gas. bigger the boost, the greater the reduction?

19. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The battery is also heavier. There is a weight penalty under all driving conditions (EV or HV).

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the plug-in in HV operation does better than G2 or G3, I'l guess it is due to better regen --- and that would be a fantastic improvement.