1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Plug-In - 60 MPH EV, 13 Mile Range, 1.5 Hour Recharge

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 2, 2009.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

this is just starting point - who knows what can happen in the future actually (for future models)..i believe service was started only 2 months ago.

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am really mystified why Toyota is venturing into the plug-in market with, what I consider, a very weak contender. 13 mile range? Why bother? I suppose they fielded a candidate simply because they could do so quickly and without much R & D cost. Or possibly to have something new to show at the Auto Shows.

Consider the "grief" Honda it taking over their hybrid offerings. One threadis titled "Honda can do better." I fear Toyota will "tarnish" the great reputation and respect the Prius has earned. Maybe a new thread will read "Toyota can do better."

Obviously, I am not excited about an EV. At least none of the current designs (Tesla excluded)(but who can afford one?). I predict in the "real world" the Volt will leave many buyers dissapointed with actual performance. GM elevated the expectation too high, and when the actual numbers are so far below expectation, there will be dis-satisfied owners. We shall see.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    51 percent of commutes are within 20 miles in US. In Japan, it is 13 miles.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Toyota is taking yet again a different approach from other companies with their design for the Prius plug in.

Instead of going with a vehicle like the Volt which will supposedly go 40 miles electric but cost quite a bit ($40,000 I think was the last figure I heard), they are going with a design which gives an all electric range that from studies can suffice the average commuter who would be looking into a vehicle such as this but offer it for a reasonable price. (I remember reading a study once which said the average American commuter drives 16 miles one way to work)

I think in the end, they're trying to keep the cost of the car down, and to do that right now you have to make a smaller battery pack since that can cost quite a bit using Li-Ion.

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We still don't have a lot of details on the plug-in, will it first deplete that battery and then switch over to hybrid? Can it switch back and forth between the two systems to act as a "super hybrid" and boost MPG's? Can the driver choose which system to use? I think Toyota is really just keeping it's foot in the door with this Prius, Keeping it's eye on the Volt and Leaf and seeing if they really do well before commiting lots of resources to a plug-in.

6. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Using the engine to recharge the battery would not be efficient (better to use the ICE energy directly than indirectly through the battery). I bet it will first use the battery until its SOC reach a low point that correspond to the highest SOC in hybrid mode and then run exactly as the current Prius: use the battery to store/reuse regenerative braking energy. There would also be one difference: if you go down on a very long slope, it should take a longer time before the battery gets full and the car needs to pump the ICE to turn kinetic energy into heat.

Of course, if you ask for more power than what MG2 can provide (with the accelerator), the car would need to run the ICE. Will it warn you/try to prevent you from doing so? I bet it will not prevent it for security reasons (if you need to quickly accelerate to prevent an accident, for example) and only warn you: as with the current EV mode.

The "B" mode would be pretty much useless on a Prius PHEV...

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is directly from Toyota:

8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

That makes the phv prius make even less applicable to you. The average American commute is 25 miles round trip. A 70 to 90 mile commute makes you a true outlier.

The prius owner is an old demographic. Toyota is trying to get a younger demographic with the 2010 and it appears to be working. They clearly are not targetting us driving patterns with their phv. I think its more of a way to keep a foot in the water in case plug in hybrids get traction.

With a $7,500 tax credit the volt is estimated to be $32,500 to customers in the united states. For the great majority of Americans more than 75% of the miles would be electric. So given a 15,000 mile per year that would be 100 gallons on a volt@38mpg, 230 in a phv prius, and 300 in a prius. Options are good. It would be nice to get fog lamps, 17" tires, and auto on head lights without installing them after market. It also will be great if the price of li batteries go down so more cars get built as extended range electrics.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice that il wil be able to charge in 30 min.. thats fast