1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius stopped in traffic with big boom "check hybrid system"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mbarido, Feb 28, 2012.

1. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #5 Diagnostics codes - E1310, C1259, P324E, P0A94. Toyota told the dealer not to disassemble the inverter any further. Authorized shipment of new inverter, due Friday a.m. Has accepted problem under warranty - car repairs, towing, and loaner car to be paid by Toyota.

Service Rep thinks COB tomorrow - I have my doubts with extensive testing and validation after new inverter installation. That is the ENTIRE electrical box / assembly under the hood - right?

2. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

#5 Diagnostics codes - E1310, C1259, P324E, P0A94. Toyota told the dealer not to disassemble the inverter any further. Authorized shipment of new inverter, due Friday a.m. Has accepted problem under warranty - car repairs, towing, and loaner car to be paid by Toyota.

Service Rep thinks COB tomorrow - I have my doubts with extensive testing and validation after new inverter installation. That is the ENTIRE electrical box / assembly under the hood - right?

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Inverter removal/replacement is a couple hour job.

I recommend that you file a complaint with NHTSA. If there is a failure pattern in GIII inverters, like there was with Highlander and Lexus RX, then this will help provide impetus for a recall.

4. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

5. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car picked Friday 03-02-2012. Under warranty, tow charges reimbursed by check, had to fight with them over rental after 3 times as I was told rental was covered. Extended warranty paid most of rental, but they handled all the paper. $0.00 out-of-pocket. But took 1 1/2 hours at the dealer to get it all straight with papers for all items

Car runs and looks just like it did before. Only time will tell how well all this effort was done.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad it is all fixed. Hopefully it is going to be a rare occurrence.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for keeping us updated on this problem. Hope it's fixed for good. I think 1 1/2 hours to do the paper work is a bit excessive but at least they paid for everything, as they should.

8. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did they provide any idea of the repair costs if the car had been out of warranty?

9. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny you should ask (AND NO they would not give me a copy of the receipt with the numbers, but did let me copy the numbers down - go figger):

Tow bill - $155 paid
    Rental for 3 days - $123.99 paid
    Car repair - $2980.92 - paid (inverter was over $2600 - did not write down)

TOTAL $ 3259.91 - paid in full - $0.00 by me :)

Car repair included diagnostics, new inverter, antifreeze, testing, and road test

1 person likes this.
  10. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ouch! Glad it was covered under warranty though!

11. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  12. dkih56

dkih56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just signed up to Prius Chat so I could answer you. I have the exact same issue with my 2010 Prius with 13,000 kms (From BC Canada). My car has been with Kelowna Toyota for the last 8 weeks and they keep telling me they can't find anything wrong. Problem first occured with the same symptoms as yours, loud bang and stopped. Had it towed in to Kelowna Toyota (have extended warranty as well) and they changed the inverter and said it was fine. Picked it up and within 6 days and about 70 kms it was on the back of the tow truck. This time they changed the complete transaxle assembly (never had this issue before according to Toyota) this was week four as they had to order the transaxle from Japan. Picked up the car and was told it was all fixed and they had road tested it. Made it home and part way to work the next day when it died again. Left it and after work managed to start it again and limp back to Toyota, died in their parking lot. They put it on the scope and said no codes came up and it was fine, that is until it died on them. Well it has been there ever since and Toyota Canada and the Dealership has been impossible to deal with. Service Manager and Customer Service won't return calls. Have no idea when I might get the car back and Toyota says they have rented me a car so what's the problem. Car rental is a small Ford Fiesta and I have to cover the insurance. If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it and I can pass it on to the Dealership. The Dealership has said they have washed their hands of it and it is up to Toyota Canada. They have been working with Toyota's Expert (thats a contradiction!!) so I have to wait.:mad:

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have lemon laws in Canada? Sounds like Toyota owes you a new car.

14. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay going to be a little bizarre answer for you. I have HAD absolutely NO additional problems. However, my gas mileage has gone from about 47-48 actual (miles / gallons gas) (51 computer) to 51-52 actual / 54-56 computer (~6% computer error). Good story for me, sorry for your troubles. Toyota also struggled with mine, but only 2 days, not your weeks.

15. dkih56

dkih56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for getting back to me. Good to hear that your car is working well and you obtained a happy conclusion. I will never buy another Toyota after this mess and nothing gets my blood pressure up like the Toyota Cares advertisements on TV. Latest thing I have heard from Toyota is that they are going to replace the inverter again as it might have been either damaged when they put it in or bad from the factory. Now just have to wait for them to bring one up from the US. I read about another person from San Deigo that was having a similar problem. Trying to find out if they have theirs back yet.

16. dkih56

dkih56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Toyota Canada's worst possible service continues. I just found out yesterday after talking with a service advisor (Toyota Canada Customer Service and the Dealership Service Manager won't return calls) that they now want to replace the entire wiring harness but the part is not available and will take another 3 weeks. I am concerned what other problems this is going to create in the process of the change. This will make it 3 months that I have been without my car, least they haven't started to charge me storage fees!!

17. mbarido

mbarido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ALL I can say is - I feel your pain, gotta be a sickening feeling

18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does Canada have any consumer protection laws i.e. lemon laws that might allow you to force Toyota to simply replace your car with another one? You have a pretty good case so far. They need to ship that car back to Japan for analysis.

OceanEyes likes this.
  19. dkih56

dkih56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is good to know that someone can understand what I am going through. I just got off the phone with Toyota Canada, had to go through another Customer Service Rep since the one handling the case still won't get back to me. I have asked that they take it to their Senior Management and just give me the trade-in value in cash so I can go buy something else and be done with this. It won't be a Toyota though as I am finished with them and their service. I wish we did have Lemon Laws in Canada but we don't so I am stuck at the mercy of Toyota.Through all this it is the communication that bothers me the most and I have yet to find someone there that actually "Cares" and they advertise. Wish me luck!!!

20. dkih56

dkih56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just talked to the Service Manager at the dealership (finally) and the wiring harness that was supposed to be changed early this week is now supposed to arrive today!! I wish they could get their stories straight, they can't seem to remember what they told me previously. Should have more news by next week - if the part does arrive.