1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 transaxle fluid change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WeidnerL, Nov 21, 2013.

1. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius and need to change the Transaxle fluid. I have the Haynes repair manual, but it only shows the drain and fill plugs for the Gen II. I have found what looks like the drain plugs but am not sure of it. Fill appears to be right next to the CV axle and the drain is streight down from the CV axle. Are these the correct fill and drain plugs?
    Also, this transaxle seems to have a whine to it. Whines only at kind of a neutral throttle. Throttle pressure or backing off on the throttle reduces the whine. Is this normal or what?
    Is 3.6 qts the proper amount for a change or do I pour it in until it starts dripping out the fill?
    Thanks

2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the video to the 3rd Gen trans. drain and refill.

As for your whining noise, where is the noise coming from?

3. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the video. Over the last half hour or so I've been looking at other threads about this. This video is a good one. Not sure where the whining is coming from. Hard to look under it while rolling down the road, and hard to do it on jack stands because there is no load. It is just that I've ridden in several other Prius's and there's does not whine. Mostly wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what was it.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with JMD, bring it to the dealership since its still under warranty. I hate diagnosing noise problems as well, its hard to tell where its coming from if you're not there. Let us know how it go if you do. :)

6. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, so I changed the Transaxle fluid. Old stuff was BLACK!! and did not smell anything like the new WS fluid. I put in 4 qts and still did not flow out the fill port. Put it down and took it for a ride. The whine...while still there...has been reduced significantly. I am tempted to get another 4 qts and do another fluid change just to get ALL of the old black stuff out. So, when filling with fluid, do I put in just 3.6 qts as the manual says, or do I fill until it starts running out the fill port?
    Thanks

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the car under warranty?

8. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone who's reported back on this site has found that 4 quarts is more than sufficient to fill the transmission case, i.e. until it starts to seep out of the fill hole. I think you'll find that if the back end is raised until the car is level, less than 4 full quarts will be required. On the other hand, I doubt that the level is critical because this transmission is much more like a traditional manual transmission than a typical automatic.

9. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just found this at an Amsoil site. Apparently in order to drain and fill properly you must have the Toyota Transmission Fill System as discussed in Toyota Technical Service Bulletin TC010-07. Anyone familiar with this system and why it is different than just draining and filling?

10. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, only 37,800 mi.

11. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amsoil also states this:
    RECOMMENDATION:
    AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is the appropriate fluid and an excellent replacement for the factory fill oil in Toyota transmissions requiring the WS specification. AMSOIL recommends consumers with transmissions requiring WS fluid bring a supply of AM- SOIL Fuel Efficient ATF to an approved transmission shop equipped with the Toyota Transmission Fill System.
    It is also $11.50/qt. Hmmmm

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Weidnler:

The car is under warranty. The Transaxle is winning. The cost to replace the Transaxle out of warranty is significant.
    My suggestion is to bring the car to the Dealer and get the problem documented and date and time stamped. Let them advise what the noise is. This will either get fixed , or work to your advantage if this Transaxle fails outside of warranty since you made a inquiry while under warranty.

I'm telling you this is the safe and smart thing to do.

elementnomore and xliderider like this.
  13. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JMD
    Thanks very much. I'll make an appointment for sometime next week or first week of Dec.

JMD likes this.
  14. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Made an apt. for Dec 2nd at Toyota dealer.

JMD likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the car level I found it started to flow back out at around the 3.5 liter mark. If you're putting in quarts, I 'm not sure, 3.7~3.8 would be about the same. Was the car level? That's a stipulation for getting the level right.

I definitely wouldn't put in any more. My guess is you're about a cup overfilled, maybe ok?

16. WeidnerL

WeidnerL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car was level. I put it up on four same size jack stands at lowest level. Then I put a level along the frame under the door. I took out about 3.4 qts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK/// The dealer in Crestview did the change for $80 (2012). The dealer in St Pete said they wanted $259 and you had to do a flush and use a special machine. Is this a load of crap or the truth? The 2011 has the same tranny/right?

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    its a load... they seem to mix the prius with other models that require the special service tool.

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Transaxle from everything I read on PC is a drain and fill. If the dealer suggests anything else go to the next dealer.

elementnomore likes this.
  20. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Absolutely load of crap I have a printout from official Toyota manual showing NOTHING special needed but the new fluikd a new plug/washer and whatever number wrench !!! I try to find it ...