1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. srevelation

srevelation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently got a 2011 Prius and driving at night, noticed a rather bothersome trait: lights viewed through the windshield have a prism effect where there is a "ghost" image located above and below the actual light source. The effect is worse with red lights than it is with green lights. I've only seen one other posting referring to this: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...11-prius-windshield-problems.html#post1415707
    but no one else seemed to know what the guy was talking about.

I went about things rather scientifically, though. I wanted to know if this was defective windshield, or just how the Prius is due to the very low angle of the windshield. It is definitely a prism type effect as it differs by color, and as you approach the light source, the ghost images merge into the single image.

I had the opportunity to view through the windshield of a second Prius and saw the same effect, although I'm not sure if it was as pronounced as in my vehicle. My next plan is to arrange to take a test drive at night in another Prius and compare the windshield effect (i.e. same eyeballs, different windshield to take out that it might be my eyes !)

So, can anyone else with a 2011 Prius see this effect during night driving?

phvdriv3r and joshnva like this.
  2. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 prius pkg 6 with HID's and a 2011 prius 4 with solar & performance pkg. & I have never noticed what you see... hhhuummm

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's odd that you are not getting any responses, let us know what you find out. have you asked others to look thru it?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 and have never seen this problem. As far as I know the 2011 windshield was not updated or changed.

5. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the opportunity to look through the windshield of another vehicle purchased 1 week later from the same dealer. Our vehicles were side-by-side looking at the same thing. I did see this effect in his windshield as well, and he was also able to notice it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you had an eye exam lately?

irrational likes this.
  7. joshnva

joshnva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have a 2011 Prius IV, purchased in August, and I just started seeing this exact same issue a couple of weeks ago. Had a friend in the car with me a couple of times, and he is also seeing it. However, when we're in his car (not a Prius), neither of us see the effect, so it certainly isn't our eyes (that WAS my first thought the first time I saw this).

I have the Crystal Fusion coating on the windshield, so I have taken it to the dealer's auto detailing team to see if there was something on the windshield. They've washed it several times, both with regular and alcohol-based glass cleaners, and they've used the Crystal Keep maintenance solution, all to no avail.

Definitely seeing the same parameters as srevelation -- more visible at night, and much more visible with red/orange lights than with green. I've even started noticing multiple "ghosts" -- two above, two below -- when looking at a traffic light at some distance. As I approach they converge into the actual light source. I'm probably going to take it back to the dealer and talk with their service manager this time, and I'll likely bring a copy of this thread since I now know it's not just me or my vehicle.

8. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :D Yup. The doctor agreed it was my windshield LOL.

9. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine was purchased in October and is Prius II. My question is did you just start to see this effect, or was it there all along and you just started to notice the effect? The other guy at the dealership didn't see it in his car until I pointed it out, and then he noticed it in his own car as well. Given the physics of the problem (probably prism plus internal reflections) if it just started and wasn't there all along, that almost implies separation of the glass and interlayer within the windshield.

10. joshnva

joshnva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was definitely something that I just started seeing. The first night I saw it, I definitely thought I'd be needing to go to the eye doctor because the effect was so clearly visible. Also, as I noted previously, I had a friend (who owns a different type of vehicle) in the car and he saw it immediately as well. Not seeing it in other cars, or even through other windows (i.e., side/rear) of my Prius.

Also, one other question - did you have "Crystal Fusion" or any kind of coating applied when you purchased your vehicle? It sounds like you did not, if you're saying others at the dealership are also seeing the problem.

11. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't have anything applied. At least I never paid for anything to be applied, nor was I suggested to buy anything that might have already been applied, so I don't think so.

12. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see where you've indicated whether you wear glasses. Do you? I do, and have had cars in the past where my seat/windshield angles produced additional ghost images that seemd to reflect back on the glasses. If you are seeing the ghost without glasses, does changing the seat height or backrest angle change anything? This may well be one of those things that we don't see until we start thinking about it, then it's all we see.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like there may be a few (very few) windshields with this problem. i would request that it be replaced. again. you may have to get toyota involved.

14. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the opportunity to take another Prius out at night. As Jim256 points out, I was looking for the effect and I saw it. So I think everyone with good eyes will be able to see the effect. However, in the other car it wasn't as pronounced from what I could tell. And in my own car I now can see the 5 images at a far distance that I didn't notice before. I think the next thing is a visit with the service manager and go for a drive in my car to see if he sees what I do.

15. dejaview

dejaview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We've now been in twice to the dealer for this; both times they said it was normal...washed the windshield inside and out and tried to sell us crystal fusion. Nope. Headlights in the distance appear triple,"ghosting" ten feet above and below the oncoming car's headlights & narrowing as you approach. Tested another '10 prius, and got the same results. I'm interested to see if the earlier models have this as well and if Toyota will start replacing glass. 20/20 vision, no glasses... love the milage, hate the view.

1 person likes this.
  16. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    My guess it is a coating of some kind such as a poorly applied coating of Rain-X. To remove all doubt, throughly clean your windshield. I've used a wet sponge with Bon Ami sprinkled on it--then rinse thoroughly. That will usually remove any applied coatings, as well as oil and grime that may be present. If the "tripple" illusion still appears, then the windshield itself is obviously at fault.

17. srevelation

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Realizing that the effect with red light is more pronounced with green light (longer wavelengths), I used a red laser pointer through the windshield and indeed, I could see multiple laser dots on the dark garage wall. I did check angle, expecting it to be worse near 0 degrees than at 90 degrees but was surprised to find no difference. Side windows do not exhibit this effect.

I have decided to live with the issue and just recognize it as a design failure in the windshield that does not bother most people. My feeling is I'd rather live with it/adjust to it as-is rather than have the windshield replaced, still end up possibly with the same problem, and perhaps introduce water leakage from a poor replacement job.

wjtracy likes this.
  18. joshnva

joshnva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was the original premise on my end as well. Had the windshield cleaned multiple times about as thoroughly as possible, without any change in the condition. I haven't had a chance to get back down to the dealership to look into it further, but I will still be asking questions next time I get down there.

19. joshnva

joshnva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Further on this one -- I was back at the dealership last night and was able to arrange to take out another 2011 Prius as a rental for a couple of hours. I saw the exact same effect in the rental vehicle, if not even somewhat more pronounced.

I've worked with both the dealership's general manager and their service manager, and they have been as helpful as possible with the situation. The service manager contacted Toyota's technical department in California, and he stated that Toyota has received a few reports of this issue and that they are attributing it to the angle of the windshield. To me, at least, if the angle of the windshield is the cause of the prismatic effect, then there is definitely a design flaw in the vehicle, because I certainly have never seen this effect before in any other vehicle I've driven, and it is certainly not normal behavior through windshield glass.

At this point, it looks like I'm in a wait-and-monitor mode to see if something comes up more widespread from other Prius drivers. I am giving consideration to reporting the issue to the NHTSA to at least get it in their database as a potential issue.

Re: earlier Prius models ... had a 2007 prior to purchasing the current 2011 I own, and I never saw this effect.

dejaview likes this.
  20. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a 2011 last months and I haven't noticed any prisming affects nor has my wife mentioned anything. Will be actively looking for it now and will let you know what I see.