1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Driver's Side Brake Pads Worn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NancyS, Nov 3, 2014.

1. NancyS

NancyS New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2011 Prius, which I park on a city street has only 5,777 miles on it.
    My driving is 90% city driving, lots of stop-and-go generally at speeds 40MPH or under.
    At annual checkup at my dealership, they found the driver 's side brake pads worn thin 3mm and 6mm respectively front and back, and rotors? are grooved. All tires are in good condition.
    Brakes/rotors on right side of car so no such wear and tear. Basically, I have to pay $$$ replace the brake pads on the left side of the car. The mechanics did show/compare the wear and tear on right side of the car, compared to the left. It is significant.
    The mechanic at my dealership could not explain why this is happening. They were guessing this:
    ~Left side of car is exposed to the street, and thus the wheel wells are exposed to winter salt and dirt. Hard to believe since the car has not experienced much snowy winter weather here in Washington, DC.
    ~Consistently driving at low speeds, and making lots of right turns??! might be a cause.....
    Any additional thoughts, guesses, same experience, reasons why this is happening, I'd love to hear.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a defect to me. perhaps caliper was frozen on the rotor? or it may have been assembled incorrectly. definitely a new one around here i think. did you notice any issues? how did they come across it? i would have an independent mechanic look at it. did you buy it new? that's really low mileage for an '11.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the mechanic may have it right. Are you parking on a busy street, with salt/sand being spread frequently. You are very low mileage, that's likely compounding the problem.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow. I do that many miles in 3 months... But my car sleeps in the garage.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably salt build up that is causing the caliper to hang up. If it's just the slides you may not get any warranty assistance. If the caliper itself is bad, then maybe.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's actually an interesting testament to what salt/sand can do: passenger side fine, driver's side seized.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've spent some time in dc, not sure there is enough salt and sand being thrown around there, they only have one plough.:cool:

9. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Crazy! I don't believe it! Change mechanics! Move disks to the other side with new mechanic and tip them or do work yourself?

iPhone ?