1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Nissan Leaf Leaves Owners Stranded: What Really Happened?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by don_chuwish, Mar 16, 2011.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2011 Nissan Leaf Leaves Owners Stranded: What Really Happened?

"Every new car has a few teething problems, but a few reports of Nissan's all-electric Leaf running out of charge prematurely hasn't helped the age-old stereotype that electric cars will leave their owners stranded without power.
    But are these incidents as rare as the reports suggest and what exactly happened? Who's to blame?"

Interesting little article. Seems to me no worse than the flashing last pip on our bladder equipped Prii.

- D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not to derail, but i wish my pri had something as obnoxious as the back up beep when i hit the flashing pip. what i find interesting is the fact that some of these leaf owners seem to be clueless. i wouldn't have expected that in the first few years. but i suppose there are a few who signed up early enough to get one even tho they may not have been totally sure what they were getting into. and why would you use range estimate instead of battery charge remaining? first is an estimate based on history, second is actual real time. i wouldn't drive a gas car that way, nor do i use my laptop like that.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks like an alarmist non story to me.

"The trip showed approx 15 miles or range, I drove 13 miles and the car went dead. "

These are the same people who ran their petrol car down to 0 miles range and then wonder why it stops. Probably the same people who ring me for a cab to the airport and only allow 15 minutes to go 15 miles.

4. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Grumpy, You would need 20 minutes to get them to the airport. I mean you need to pick them up first. :)

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Crappy Prius -- speed limited to 60 mph.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And that's the argument I get! "15 miles at 60 mph and we'll just make it". Yeah and what about the three sets of traffic lights and the 40 mph zone? Oh and the fact that you took 5 minutes to answer your door!

It's not my flight I'm missing though :D

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always wondered what the cabbie was thinking when i missed my flite.:cool:

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps this part should have been in a big bold quote on the side column, and the title of the story should have been "Nissan Leaf drivers incorrectly estimate the amount of range left on battery and end up running out of charge. Just as guilty as someone who runs out of gasoline."

With the cold-weather driver, I would have thought Nissan would have connected the thermometer to the range extender and a constant monitor of the battery's performance and provided a more accurate range estimate based on the current conditions.

Disagree as you like, but my personal opinion is that at the current time, EVs and PHVs should only be sold in southern states. Maybe about 2015, they could begin selling them in and northern states.