1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius smart key (FOB) is not funational after replacing battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by paul ihlenfeld, Oct 27, 2014.

1. paul ihlenfeld

paul ihlenfeld New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2011 Toyota Prius Two, not II,smart key device (FOB) is not funational (can not open doors, etc) after replacing battery, and now how to fix, re-sync, etc?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've replaced the battery on mine twice, and the second time it occurred to me how vulnerable the printed circuits appeared, when you're flexing the battery outa the retainer claws. Pricey item with a weak link. In your shoes, I'd just bring it in, see what they say. Maybe don't volunteer that you JUST changed the battery.

The OTHER possibility: the battery is a dud. Check, should be around 3.0 volt with digital multimeter.

3. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK thanks for your reply. I did check the battery yesterday 10/26/2014 at RadioShack, and it tested in the "Good" range (this same battery was lately replaced back on 8/31/2014 [only few months old.]) So far still not working in both of my FOBs. I then checked this "good" battery with my home digital multimeter (showed 2.4 volts.) I suppose I could try another new battery again too. So now the question is... how could both FOBs not be functional? Also is there still a way to re-sync/fix my FOBs?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a new question, very likely needing dealership intervention, unless you're a mini-VCI guru. Hopefully a gratis diagnosis/fix.

Simply replacing the battery shouldn't mess up the car/fob connection. Why did you replace battery, was the car warning of low battery? Our's did, last time I needed to replace battery.

Also, 2.4 volt is really low. Our bad battery read 2.9, and brand new read 3.0. After seeing that I put the OLD one back in, but a week later the car was again warning of low battery, so I caved and swapped them, warning went away.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it just sks, or are the fob buttons not working as well? you're not putting the battery in backwards?

6. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am very well versed with many different types of electronics, and yes battery has been always replaced in required correct position. With the current battery (2.4 volts), nothing is functional (no red LED either whenever pressing any FOB buttons.) OK... maybe I should try another new battery from RadioShack. This time before installing new battery, I will have it tested (voltage measured [should be 3 volts for brand new battery.]) I always try to fix things myself (with help from other s too), and certainly before having any dealership charge me to much $$$. So right now I do things manually with smart key (open doors, start car, etc) until I try a new battery this week. If a brand new battery makes the FOB fully functional, then I am surprised that this battery only lasted 1.5 months (should be 1-2 years.) I will let you know how things proceed...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, so you're saying just the sks not functioning. do you have to hold the fob up to the power button to start it?my batteries last 4-6 years, so it might be a case of low voltage when new.also, you're 12 volt battery plays a part in this.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would definitely try another battery. 2.4V is too low and could very well be your problem.

9. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right now the FOB will not open the doors (wirelessly [annoying problem]), and YES I must hold the FOB to the START button (start hybrid system.) I will try another new 3 volt battery for the FOB this week, and hopefully that fixes these problems. Also hopefully the 12 volt battery not a cause of this problem too (everything else on this 2011 Prius appears to be OK.) I will let you know how things proceed...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that's your problem. the battery that only lasted 1.5 months probably didn't start at 3volts either. maybe try a different source? also, if you do have a problem with short life, read up on where to not leave your keys.

11. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK will soon try another new battery (will test to make sure it is very closed to 3 volts.) Also I will check to make sure my FOB is stored in a safe area (away from other electronic devices, etc.), and usually this is the case at home. By the way I have had my 2011 Prius for almost three years, and this is the first time for these annoying FOB (possible too low battery issues) to occur. I had previously replaced the FOB battery before without any issues too.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the new battery package, if you still have it, for expiry date. If it's old that's ammo for getting another for free or refund.

13. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I replaced my FOB battery (tested at RadioShack at 3.28 volts), and all is OK for now. Moreover I also researched my FOB battery issues some more (since this summer 2014 I have been using a new Samsung S5 smartphone [maybe causing FOB battery to become depleted faster when always placed near S5 phone]), and now I try to keep my FOB away from my S5 phone. At home I also now place my FOB into a custom made "Faraday cage" metal box.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whew, that was a long circuitous route to a 3v battery.:p

15. paul ihlenfeld

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes..., and thanks again to all for your helpful tech info!

16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember reading something about taking care as to where you store your SmartKey fobs (on another thread here on PriusChat), away from metal objects (keys etc.) and other electronic devices and each other - it seems that the SmartKey fobs are continually trying to communicate with the system on your car, like a "heart-beat" and if you store two of them too close together they will both flatten their batteries quicker as they compete for the signal. I think there was also mention about other devices (TV remotes, mobile-phones, pagers) - Search is your friend! :rolleyes: - Wil

17. Alice Ann ONeill

Alice Ann ONeill New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Feb. 2015
    We have had battery problems with both of our smart keys from our 2011 Prius. We need to replace the battery in BOTH 2011 smart keys every other month in BOTH for the past 14 months. The dealership has only generic replacement batteries and has checked the programming, synch with the car, the smart key buttons and only thing it has required is a new battery for the smart keys. We were told we cannot keep smart keys on a key chain with our 2007 Prius key. We received a print out of the "official" Toyota policy stating that all smart keys need to be 2 meters from anything metal or electronic.

I would think this could be possible EXCEPT that both smart keys have been on the same key chains with the 2007 Prius keys since 2011 and this problem only began 14 months ago Dec. 2013.

So the keys all lived together for 2 years successfully and suddenly this is no longer the case?? I read on some other Prius/Toyota discussion boards that Energizer replacement batteries may work better since that is the original battery in the keys and the original batteries lasted more than 2 years.

I got to thinking...what happened in Nov-Dec 2013 that could have changed our keys? We both got new iPhones (3G & 5). I believe the iPhones - magnetism or radio-waves or whatever? - are interfering with the generic replacement battery life span.

New plan for trying not to replace batteries every other month for the next 15 years while we own these cars. Well, we are keeping the 2011 smart keys in our bag and not on the key chain and looking into Energizer replacement batteries. Any other suggestions to help us? Please advise.

18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've no brilliant suggestions, but will say the brand of battery shouldn't make much difference. No one brand of the same type and size cell is likely to contain significantly more energy than other brands in good condition, since that's limited by the chemistry and physical size.

Good luck with your "new plan"!