1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid First Impressions

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Full Article

1 person likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are those sales statistics for Canada only? Pretty sad.

We picked up an '06 Civic hybrid, new, in late fall of 2005. It's still with a family member. AFAIK it's battery is "borderline": no warning lights, but pretty regular recalibration episodes. Just playing wait-and-see.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

4. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did get to test drive one of the 2012's earlier this week and I gotta say i was impressed by how it handled. However, the lack of space and the PRICE was a real killer for me. It was fun to drive, but only a few added differences between the normal civic and the hybrid.

All in in averaged 51 mpgs in my little 4-5 test drive, with highway driving included.

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I like the new Civic Hybrid a lot. It looks good and gets mpg of 44/44. Nice car. :)

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see how they intend to compete with Prius: same price, less cargo space, worse MPG

7. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always thought I wanted a Honda (I like their overall exterior design), but their stats just can't compete.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unlike you, me, and most people on this forum, there are a lot of people in society that haven't accepted the Prius yet and wouldn't be caught dead in one - for those people, the Civic Hybrid is a great alternative, and will get them out of their gas guzzlers and into a hybrid.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2 Civic Hybrids on our block and one 2nd Gen Prius (used to be 2 :D )

10. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wayne over at Clean mpg .com will be testing a new 2012 Civic Hybrid this week for those that may be interested! Expect big #'s? Hal

1 person likes this.
  11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took em long enough to put the 1.5L in it. My biggest gripe with my 07 HCH2 was the lack of power, especially at speed. The battery would recal on me at least twice a month. I managed mid 40s in the car, higher if it was highway. I am still glad I made the jump the 2010 Prius I have, though. I feel like as a hybrid vehicle, it just takes the cake. I still liked my HCH better than the G2 Prius, though. Each vehicle has it's pros and cons, and for me, it's not too much about how a car looks but rather how it performs and its reliability.

12. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I replaced a 2000 Insight 1 which had a lmpg of 62 , was a great car , but small 2 seater. My 2010 Prius has a lmpg of 58 and is safer, has loads of room, much more power and carries 5, can be slept in, has great AC, nice stereo system can carry a single bed in the back., was only 3 K$ more. All that and just a penalty of 4 mpg - well worth it.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IMPG = Imperial Miles Per Gallon? Australia?

14. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I test drove a 2012 Civic hybrid this week and I was less than impressed. I have had really good luck with Honda products in the past but the hybrid just didn't do it for me. I *almost* bought the generic gas version though (instead of the anemic hybrid). For me, it is more comfortable in the back seat than the HB Prius. For my torso length the HB Prius is just plain uncomfortable!

I ditched the Civic for a Prius V though. Even though the V is more expensive, I keep cars until the drop. The V gets better mileage and is significantly larger. Those features offset, in my opinion, the extra cost of the car when I factor in I'll have it for the next 15 to 20 years.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Did you get a Prius v wagon or a Prius Five?

Heh, you should've tried the Insight. You'd have been even less impressed. The '12 HCH that I test drove was ok and far better than the Insight.