1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Impreza or 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zanrok, Nov 22, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll put a price of $25.5 + 1k del and mats for the III maybe $500 discount. So, $26k cost to buyer + taxfees for 2012 Three.

2011 Three's w/ nav should be down to $24,488 this weekend, then closer to $24k end of December.

Seems about right since DW has some v Threes for about 27 and a half.

2. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the MPG's on the impreza ? THey used to be about the same. It's the same drivetrain as far as I know ... at least it used to be. I wouldn't worry about 1-2 MPG difference ... wait till you see the difference in the CAR !

REV

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL CD !! :D

I could never get by the looks to even LOOK on the inside !!

REV

4. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a compete redesign on the impreza this year. So the MPG stance is now 27 city and 36 highway. Which is a 30% increase from last year. with the new CVT 2.0 engine and more aero dynamic fitting it gets a boost.

5. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you think Toyota will raise the price on the three by 1,000 dollars for 2012? currently MSRP on the 2011 sits at 24,520. If they pulled something like that I imagine they would be SERIOUSLY hurting themselves. But who the heck knows.. apparently Toyota believes in keeping their customers guessing until the bitter end.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 Two should be cool with touchscreen and USB. Not sure if it comes with backup camera as theres discrepancy between our two threads... I guess about $24.5 cost to buyer + fees.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    true, 2011 'plain' Three is $24,520 MSRP, the one I bought.

2012 plain three supposed to be bundled with touchscreen, nav, Entune capability, USB and backup camera, hence at least $1k.

The rest will just get the Two with nice touchscreen, handsfree and USB. Not sure if backup camera. Discrepancy in sticky threads.

btw, backup camera nice for some situations, but not necessary. just turn your mug.

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah ... looks like the Legacy retains the older 2.5 boxer which gives 31 Highway ... I understand your concern ... the new 2.0 in the Impreza will probably AVERAGE right at 30MPG (+/- 1 or 2), and the Legacy will average 25-27 I'd think. Even that has to be considerably better than that old Grand Am though .... which was probably right around 20 ?

I would seriously look at the new Focus's as well. I've test driven them and they are one tight, quiet, well put-together car.

REV

9. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right on, and if they pull a 1k price jump I would be looking at the model II. As far as the back up cam. I can confirm that not model II does not have this.. only the III. This being direct from Toyota.

Toyota USA Newsroom | 2012 Toyota Prius Product Information

1 person likes this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch out for that city number, it's a bitch. Yeah, 36 highway, if you're on a looooooong journey. Otherwise, it's maybe 30 at the pump.

Can't seem to get this '11 below 55 MPG on gage. I'm trying though. It's frustrating :mad:

:D

11. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my last 4 fill ups on the ole grand am are averaging about 28.7.... I managed to get 33 mpgs on the beast during the summer at one point. and my experience with Ford hasn't been good, but ill give them a looksie this weekend maybe. :D

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 2012 Three will be about $26.5k with mats. Seems about right as v three is a tad over 28. Similiarly equipped to v except it gets the 3 door smart key.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Focus hatch is tight .... in rear seat. Don't let it fool you, it's small back there.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota says

'Pricing for the 2012 Prius will become available the closer it gets to the launch of the new model year, which will be after the new year.'

Oh yeah? Bet you 12's will be on the ground in December. They'll update the website after the New Year.

IIRC, my sales mgr. said last week there's only one more boat coming with 2011's to toyosun'vale.

15. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might consider a 2011 2, if you are as frugal as you say, they are going for a little over 21k, so that narrows the price, and you will save a lot on gas.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda nice to get III voice activated handsfree phone and built in JBL which is alright, for the lazy like me who don't want to pull a new car apart.

17. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Indeed, I did forget to mention that bluetooth is required. And yes I could "settle" for a 2011 but I am also a tech nut so I would be kicking myself not having the 2012. =(

18. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're getting that MPG with your Grand AM, that bodes very well for you driving the Prius. Given that, and the deals that seem to be available right now, IF you can get the deals in your area ... I might consider going with a 2011 leftover II or III at $21-22K, and save the $4K over the 2012 models for your first 57,142 miles of fuel at $3.50 per gallon and 50 MPG. Yes ... it REALLY is that many miles worth of fuel ... and probably about $80 a month in payments. :D Think about it ... is having a 2012 over a 2011 REALLY worth the first 3-4 years worth of gas ? All you're really losing is the touchscreen and rear camera. With the blowout deals available now I'd recommend the Prius .... at new 2012 prices I wouldn't.

Please keep us informed and good luck on your decision.

REV

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my thinking, take the '11 discount and Three audio upgrade over the '12 touchscreen. Knowing I didn't want to upgrade the audio, listened to the v three sound, figuring the 12's will be about the same. Plus didn't want to wait 'til end of next year. Who knows what the Prius discounts will be then.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the navigation system on any car doesn't update automatically. AFAIK, only PND manufacturers offer lifetime upgrades.

Rumour has it that it will be the Legacy that will get the mild hybrid setup.

That's the problem. Toyota is moving the Prius upmarket to free up room for the Prius c. That might explain the nice features you can find on the higher Prius models such as footwell lighting with 2 brightness settings (I remember the GS brochure making a big deal out of its illuminated entry system 5 years ago and now the Prius has the same features), felt-lined A & B pillars, overhead LED ambient lighting as well as the big ticket items like DRCC, PCS, APGS (or HUD for next year), LKA, LED headlights etc.

Yeah but if you're going to go with a 2012 Model 2 vs. a 2011 Model 3, you may get USB and Bluetooth audio streaming in exchange for the JBL audio system. A 2012 Model 3 will add nav, Entune, 3-dr SKS over the 2011 version, hence the potentially higher price tag. As well as all the other updates that comes with a 2012 of course.