1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 PIP GPS ETA defect

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Gaudete, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The estimated time of arrival display on my 2012 PIP GPS is consistently off by exactly 1 hour.

The dealership repair shop reinstated the software and checked all the settings and told me that there was nothing they could do to fix this.

I've been on the phone with Toyota HQ about this, and they've turned increasingly unsympathetic.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Does anyone have suggestions as to next steps?

The car is still under warranty, and I'm tempted to take Toyota to arbitration if they don't remedy the situation one way or the other. This was the first new car I've purchased in 10+ years and the most expensive one at that. It may seem like a minor feature, but I'm seriously steamed.

If others are experiencing this as well, perhaps a recall may be in order.

Thank you

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow if this is all it takes to get you seriously worked up and want a full model recall I would hate to see what happens when a real issue appears...

First a clarification. Is it always 1 hour off? Meaning if you set the GPS to take you 3 minutes from your house, does it tell you it will take 1 hour and 3 minutes? Or does it say it will take 9minutes to do 3 minutes of driving?

That is the major point that needs clarification in your post. If you want answers you need to post more information. If you just want to vent, then that's fine but it seems like you will be living with the problem then.

If the clock is just wrong by an hour, like the clock never changed, then my guess is that the time-zone and daylight savings time settings are incorrect. Remember that all GPS time is in UTC and that has no daylight savings. So if the clock on the GPS unit is wrong the ETA to destinations will be wrong too but the actual navigation time will be the same. It still takes 3 minutes to get there but the arrival time is off by an hour for example.

If the problem is not actually always off by an hour but just incorrect, then you most likely need to set your speed settings up. It is on page 112 of the navigation manual.

1 Press the “SETUP” button.
    2 Touch “Navigation” on the “Setup” screen.
    3 Touch “Detailed Navi. Settings” on the “Navigation Settings” screen.
    4 Touch “Driving Speeds”
    5 Touch “< ” or “> ” to set the average vehicle speeds for “Residential”, “Main Streets” and “Freeways”.
    -To set the default speeds, touch “Default”.
    -To use settings based on traffic information, touch “Consider Traffic Info.”.
    6 After setting of the desired speeds is completed, touch “Save”.

rogerv and Ken Blake like this.
  3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2k1toaster, good answer! I don't use the nav unit in my PiP, so I don't feel qualified to answer the OP. However, I remember my '06 had similar settings and wondered if those might be the issue. The dealer should have known about the time and estimated speed settings.

4. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Consistently off by exactly 1 hour" = always 1 hour off. Take whatever time I should arrive (based on minutes to destination) and subtract an hour. Always.

I'm sorry my post was confusing to you, but I'm not sure I could have written that any clearer.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like you need to go into setup menus and adjust for daylight savings time. It's in the manual some where. Sorry no ref.

6. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are no menu items that address the navigation clock! I've scrutinized each and every one. The dealership service dept and toyota HQ also have come up empty.

7. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I tried to look up base PiP Navigation Manual on the Toyota Owner's website and found this ref.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav/OM47719U/pdf/02-2.pdf

1 Press the “SETUP” button.
    2 Touch “General” on the “Setup”
    screen.
    3 Touch “System Time” on the
    “General Settings” screen.
    4 Touch “Daylight Savings Time ”.

I just hope this is not for the Advanced PiP

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok so then your nav system is not set to the correct time zone or has daylight savings improperly set. Yes there is a menu option.

On page 17 of the navigation system quick start guide it even has a picture.

[​IMG]

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So if you are 3 minutes away from the destination, the GPS says you should have arrived 57 minutes ago?

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Something that as far as I know no car company has done correctly because they have modular units instead of built ins, but every clock in the car is different. Every Toyota/Lexus we have with GPS the dash unit has a separate clock from the standalone clock. In the Nissan Leaf the clock in the instrument cluster is also independent from the GPS unit.

11. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    None of those settings / menus are available to me.
    Thank you everyone.

Exactly

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I smell a rat here.

This obviously isn't an across the board design defect or hundreds of people would be screaming.

If it really bothers you that much, by all means take it to arbitration or check the lemon laws.

Your comment that NONE of the settings that everyone else sees are available to you makes your story somewhat suspect though.

Regardless of the cause, an easy "solution" might be to change the display so that it shows "time to destination" instead of arrival time. You can do that, right ?? (Come to think of it, I believe mine automatically shows both numbers in the upper right corner.)

jdcollins5 likes this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They didn't make a unit just for you to spite you.

Learn to help yourself. Get out your manual and look for the clock adjustment. It does exist. If you say it doesn't, you haven't looked hard enough or are just a troll. Denso always has an option. While the menus might not be 100% the same (could be language differences, or plural vs. singular, shortened words, etc) it is there.

You have the 2012 PiP right? That means you have Entune right? If so, then if your time-zone is set to Auto, then it will pull the time information from the GPS. With Daylight Savings, this will be wrong. Again, all in the manual that you have not read. They don't give it to you to weigh down the passenger compartment.

[​IMG]

Try and help others help you. Provide some more info, some feedback. Post a pic of what menus you do see since yours seems to be a custom 1-off firmware upgrade apparently.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll just confirm what Gaudete is saying.. these screens and manual references you guys are posting are not applicable to the base PiP.

I checked mine last night and under Setup->General, there is nothing about system time or any time for that matter. I didnt get a chance to look around further, but what I was looking through, I couldnt find anything about nav time.

My nav time, however, appears to be fine. In fact, I plugged in my Home as a destination on my drive home yesterday just to see if my ETA time was correct and I didnt even see an ETA time (shows you how much I use the nav).

You have to tap on the "time-to-destination" for it to switch to ETA time (meaning, by default, at least on mine, it shows '5 minutes' or however long it estimates you will reach your destination.. but if I tap the '5 minutes', it switches to '6:05PM', the ETA).

Also, the base PiP's head unit is made by Harman, not Denso.

15. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    THANK YOU Tracksyde!!

I'm not imagining things when I say that all these settings/menus simply do not exist in my model!

Fortunately, the dealer's service shop has agreed to look at the unit again. Wish me luck!

PS: try to ask for some help around here and get accused of conjuring up "suspect" stories and become the target of all sorts of snarky comments! Reminds me of the South Park episode in which San Francisco was enveloped in deadly "Smug" due to too many hybrid owners! Boy did they nail things!

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

It is more of a factor of you not knowing how to ask a question properly. Probably also why Toyota gave you the cold shoulder which they rarely do.

Describe the menus you do have. Describe the actual system you do have. Post pictures. Reply with more than 1 sentence nothings. We aren't psychic. And the manual for the nav system in the PiP that I have shows it uses the Entune system which I posted screengrabs for. The base system I had thought was the same as the base non-plugin Prii which I posted screenshots for earlier.

markabele likes this.
  17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, so after I posted that, I started second guessing myself, especially after I found this manual (on the Toyota website when searching for 2012 Prius PHV, the document is titled: Toyota Universal Display Audio System Owners Manual With Navigation: Setup Operation)

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav/OM33A02U/pdf/n08.pdf

(turn to page 2 of the document, which is labeled page 197)

There, in the 3rd image on the right, item #12, it shows a "button" for Daylight Savings Time.

So after lunch I went out to take a look, again, and I took pictures:

Untitled-1.png

You'll see it doesnt match up with the manual that Toyota provides. This isnt the only thing that the manual is wrong about. There are others (such as the TPMS and being able to see actual tire pressures) (also, pushing the "down" arrow on the right just takes you back to the first page, which does match the first image in the PDF)

In any case, it got me wondering how my head unit knows the correct time.. or maybe mine is just set for "Daylight Savings Time" so it is correct now.. but maybe it wont be correct come November? :confused:

The other thing I was thinking was, maybe with some firmware update along the way, the DST option disappeared. I'm on Entune 3.1.0.

When I leave work, I'll try changing the time on my dash clock to see if they are connected. I doubt it, but thats the only time I ever change/set. So we'll see.

18. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks again. My understanding is that the system clock, and the GPS/NAV clock are entirely separate.
    In any event, I'll report back from the dealership (my appointment is next Friday, so it will be a while).

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, my curiosity was aroused, so I spent about half an hour sitting in my car with the manuals and searching the screens for nav clock settings. I'm with the OP and Tracksyde- no setting available. Yet the time on mine is correct, just like Tracksyde's. I too can toggle between the ETA and minutes left to travel. I don't use Entune, so I can't test this theory, but could it be that the nav system gets the time when a smartphone is configured to Entune? Just a thought...........:confused:

20. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you. With few exceptions, I have very much appreciated the feedback on this forum.

The Entune theory is interesting, but I rarely use Entune and the time on my phone is correct.

It's all very odd. I hope the dealer can get to the bottom of this!

Chazz8 likes this.