1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius+ 7 mpv, Northern Europe edition

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by norjack, Nov 24, 2012.

1. norjack

norjack New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I was happy to find this forum a few days ago, as our family has just purchased our first Prius (2012 Prius+ 7 mpv, dealer demo).

After wanting to buy a Prius for years, the recent news of twins after Christmas pushed a new larger car into the sudden "need" column. (Previously, we have been driving a very low mileage 2001 Carolla.) The final decision was choosing between a 2-3 year old Ford S-Max, or a new Prius+. With space and price, as well as usability, durability, and dependability in mind, we finally decided the Prius+ was the by far the best choice for us.

We pick up our car next week, and I have already been trying to read up on the basics and tips on the website. But perhaps I have overlooked something...I have few quick questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

Can someone please tell me the general differences between a Norwegian/Northern European version (Prius+ 7) vs the Prius t4/Spirit of the UK, or the Prius V (various models) from the US....Other than the seat configuration is different in Europe vs the US? I notice that Europe has a standard 3-seat 2nd row configuration, while the American has the 1 + 2 config in the 2nd row. Anything else noteworthy?

Also, does anyone know if the ipod classic 6th gen 160gb ipod works in the 2012 Prius models (fully functional ipod options on the touchscreen)? Or would a person have to upgrade to a newer ipod touch?

Although we have driving in the Prius+, we only did so without anything on the roof. We will be having the roof rack included with our vehicle...How does that affect wind noise and mileage? Do people just leave them on, even if they are not using their roof box? Or are they easy to put on and off, and so should be left off if only used on trips?

Any help would be appreciated. Always wanted a new Prius and....Now the time is almost here! And with a little more space, too.....:)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll keep it simple. The US version uses a different High Voltage battery type; NiMH as used in the traditional Prius for over a decade. The Euro version has the extra row of seats where the US version has its HV battery, but instead squeezes it between the front seats. They manage this by using the newer technology Li-On HV battery which gives more power out of a smaller battery. This type of battery is used in the new generation of electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf.

Rumour has it that the Li-On batteries are not quite as robust as the older NiMH type but saying that, costs have also fallen significantly and Toyotas have a long warranty (at least here in the UK) of 160,000 km. That should add peace of mind.

That's the main difference between the two cars. There are many smaller specification differences too. Generally, the Prius+ is a nice looking car, with all the benefits of the smooth, economical Prius, but with much more room. Ideal as a family car.

The roof rack and/or box will affect fuel economy and the Prius being super economical, will make the differences more apparent. Avoid carrying them if not required. Also, don't worry if the fuel economy isn't as expected in the first few thousand km as many on here have found the Prius takes a little while to bed in. Enjoy your new ride, enjoy the relaxing, smooth and quiet driving experience - especially in towns. Oh and don't forget to check your tyre pressures as this helps keep fuel economy spot on.

(y)

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats! First on the new family members and secondly on the new car. Please post pics when you can.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride and the twins!

5. norjack

norjack New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up our car last night. All I can say is: Wow. Such a nice ride! And such a wonderful driving experience.Where to start? It was a bit of a drive between the dealership and home, and I had to make a few stops along the way. Handling in heavy traffic excellent and smooth....quiet. Good acceleration and response, low cabin noise at all speeds...comfortable seats for long drives. Spacious...and an automatic? Thats just an extra bonus considering almost everything is manual stick-shift here. The only thing that took me a half hour to get used to was the panel layout being more "centralized" and higher than to the "left and lower". (And my only complaint so far? Nothing new...I dont like the emergency brake. Wish it was either made into a button or something pulled or pushed with the hand, but I knew about that before I bought the car.) Getting spoiled now....hard to step into the old Corolla :)

I have driven Prii before for short rides, but.... just have to say how wonderful it was for my first long drive. And to finally have a Prius....and with so much space! Simply thrilled. Will post pictures later on...

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  6. allroadusa

allroadusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats ! I hope I will be able to write such a nice story soon !