1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius AU Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nexus, Jun 30, 2014.

1. nexus

nexus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I own an Australian 2012 Prius which has the JBL head unit and 6" display but no navigation/GPS.

However, on the stock head unit one of the buttons is labelled 'map/nav'. When you press the button it just comes up with a message saying 'system not installed'.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to install the maps via a software upgrade/using a DVD? I figured the fact that the button is there would seem to suggest you can. There is also what I presume to be a GPS antenna on the roof of the car at the rear (but not sure about this). My theory is that all the hardware for GPS is there but the software simply has been installed.

Anyone have any experience with this?

#1 nexus, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not possible. U need to buy hardware for it. check with your dealer if there is an add on

3. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Better solution.
    [​IMG]

4. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Issue with Garmin they use Traffic from FM or HD, both are using Nokia Here traffic data. Not that good.
    How I wish they will use Inrix then again it will be thru phone and will have to pay $ annual. Today to get Here data via Smartlink cost $19,99 a bit too high for my liking.. $ I wouldnt mind for Here quality.

5. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. I'm retired so I don't deal with traffic. I find that Garmin is really good for specifying complex routes for our many vacation trips.

6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I get my Prius later this week (if delivery stays on schedule), I'm going to try very hard to use the Prius nav instead of my Garmin Nuvi 2555 in spite of the voice-only operation (while moving). I always pre-plan my routes and stops (food/lodging/fuel) using Google Maps and Gas Buddy. I'm also retired, so I have plenty of time to do the planning with a lot of flexibility for multiple routes/stops. I like to know where I'm going and what options there are along the way. I enter stops in my GPS and then see where the road takes us.

We happen to be leaving on Aug 26 for a 37-day trip to Yellowstone, Glacier and the Green Bay area, so I'm going to know by Oct 1 whether or not my decision to downsize from a van to a Prius was a good one. We rented a Prius for 3 days/1,100+ miles back in 2010. Much to my surprise, we enjoyed it, so I'm assuming the extended ride, etc., will be similar in the 2014 we bought. I'm looking forward to the fuel price display, but I expect they'll only show for the local area, not 100 miles ahead, so I'll still need to use Gas Buddy. If that's the case, then I simply won't extend the subscription. :)

7. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like a great trip. Fuel price is less important with a Prius ;)

8. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You need another module (roof antenna is for the radio) fitted which to my understanding only available in Europe. Plus the facelift Prius you have moved to a HDD based navi with traffic (+ digital radio). Best to find an entire navi unit if you must but it'd cost an arm and a leg.

Also didn't realise the base Prius had JBL?

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, but since we stop every 2-3 hours during a 10-12 hour driving day, we don't need gas every time, so I like to get gas at whichever stops are the cheapest. I don't go out of my way though and I try to hit Costco's. :)