1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius base bluetooth radio into 2010 2011

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by IMkenNY, Apr 15, 2012.

1. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I finally got a chance to play with the 2012 base stock radio that’s going to be going into my 2011 soon.

As expected the stock 2010/11 power and speaker connections are a perfect match for the 2012 radio:)

I picked up a metra 40-40LX21 antenna adapter ($15 eBay) to adapt the antenna.

Bluetooth music streaming sounds great! so I don’t plan on putting much effort into the aux inputs for usb or 1/8"

Hands free calling looks like a go if i can get a microphone connected (it knows i dont have one)

I’m also still working on steering wheel controls.

I could really use a 2012 base radio wiring diagram if someone happens to have one. If not ill pay TIS $15 in the next weekend or so.

Below is a picture of the radio and connectors I need to hook up a microphone and steering controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cool - let us know how it goes:)

3. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know if you can connect a rear view camera to this unit (stock Toyota or aftermarket camera)?

I hear that other countries get the stock base HU with a rear view camera.

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it valid for all 2012 EU versions - all cars get touch display HU and reverse camera.

5. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know if you can connect a rear view camera to this unit (US version)?

6. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is what I want to know too. Maybe one of our friends outside of US will take a look...

7. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    At last the 2012 base bluetooth radio is installed in my 2011 with the new bluetooth music streaming and hands frree cell use.

I was able to keep the steering wheel controls and aux input functions.

In addition to the radio it was necessary to procure a amplified microphone that is installed in the overhead map light unit and the new 28 pin radio plug (this plug is where the microphone, aux input and steering wheel controls connect)

The new 28 pin plug is available from the toyota dealer for $12 but it does not come with the pins that are sold seperately.
    I ended up purchasing a complete 2012 prius V radio plug set ($50) and a overhead console microphone ($50 from a salvage yard).

When I get a chance this week I will post the wiring pin outs needed to install the 2012 prius base bluetooth radio in a 2010/11 prius

8. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were you able to determine if there is a connection for a rear-view camera?
    Thanks,

9. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Yes, The camera connection plug on the back of the radio is there (same plug setup as the prius V that has the rear view camera standard) but I was unable to test camera hardware/software support (the scrap yard wouldnt seperate the camera from its good tailgate).

I might order a inexpensive camera off Ebay and give it a try. I believe toyota uses the NTSC video format, can someone confirm?

10. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you confirm which plug the camera uses from your first post photo?
    Thanks,

11. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The camera goes into the upper 16 pin connector

pin 6 is pkb (parking brake-grounded when applied)
    pin 7 is CA+
    pin 8 is V+
    pin 16 is V-
    Pin 15 is CGND

the reverse signal (+12 when in reverse) goes into the 28 pin plug at pin 2

The prius V with the camera as standard equipment uses the same connectors and pins.
    The prius V radio despite having the same 6.1" screen will not fit in the gen3 (its not just a problem with the front plastic button overlay, the actual display frame is slightly different.)

The big question : does the US software/ hardware in the radio support the camera?

12. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just finished installing a back camera for my 2012 base 6.1" display audio head unit.
    All that is required for the instal lis four wires for the camera and one wire for the reverse signal.
    The 2012 base USA head unit instantly displays the back up video upon shifting to reverse (no software change necessary)
    My install is probably a bit unique since I installed this 2012 radio in my 2011 liftback.
    The four camera wires go into the 16 pin connector (L148)
    Camera B+ to pin 7
    Camera V+ to pin 8
    Camera V- to pin 16
    camera ground to pin 15

The reverse signal (+12V when in reverse) goes into pin #2 of the 28 pin connector L149 (The steering wheel controls and microphone also use this connector)

I picked up 25 ft of shielded 22 guage 4 conductor + ground cable @ home depot (34 cents / foot). This is a nice thin cable for running back to the hatch. since it had an extra conductor, I just grabed the 12 volt reverse signal at the reverse bulb (red wire)

I used this $50 OEM toyota camera
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270894897176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    (It ouputs beautiful video and its the correct voltage (6 volts). It took a bit of creative mounting to get it into the perfect position. ( I ground off the mounting tabs off the ebay camera and secured the remaining mount to the existing camera blank on my hatch)
    I cut off camera plug socket plastic for ease of soldering onto the four terminals and for additional clearence.
    My exposed solder connecttions were secured and waterproofed with devcon plastic weld..
    The 2012 Prius radio will have the 28 pin connector plug for hooking up the reverse signal but I doubt it has the 16 pin connector plug or the camera connections.
    I believe this is the correct connector and pins (I had a complete set of connectors from a salvage yard but I found this info on a camry forum) available @ www.mouser.com
    The 16 pin connector is 1318386-1 (natural color) change the 1 to a 2 for black, the pin is 1123343-1

Former Member 68813 likes this.
  13. jtfender

jtfender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I just bought a 2010 prius II and have a few questions regarding your radio replacement.
    1. Do you know if this conversion would work the same in my 2010 as it did in your 2011?
    2. Does the color and texture on the face of the head unit seem to match the color and texture of the dash and rest of the interior controls perfectly?
    3. Were you able to install the 2011 factory bluetooth controls located on the steering wheel? If so was it merely plug and play or did you have to make modifications to your steering wheel wiring harness?
    4. The pictures you put on your original post aren't showing up for some reason. Is there anywhere else I could possibly view pics of your finished product.
    5. Did adding the overhead mic for bluetooth require customizations to the cars interior(ex. cutting holes in hard plastic or just "rigging" anything)?
    6. Was the 2012 head unit a perfect fit in the bracket/mounting for the 2011? Do you suspect it would be the same fr my 2010?
    7. Where did you get your 2012 head unit? I found one on ebay for around $340 and don't know if thats a fair price.

Any advice you could offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

14. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    1: Yes, 2010/11 audio was identical
    2: no, texture was the same but color was slightly lighter
    3: No, Im quite sure they would work but i have yet to find them at a reasonable cost. I use the radio touch screen buttons to answer/ hang up phone calls, view contacts and call history. Bluetooth streaming audio works with the mode and channel, volume buttons on the wheel. Radio is automaticaly muted when you use phone.
    4: Ill try to take some of the installed radio, there are some of the camera / dcamera view in my camera post
    5: No cutting necessary, The overhead map light was all set to accept the mike and wires were run without any modification or holes
    6: 2012 head unit was a perfect fit
    7 First one I bought was $175 which included shipping (from a forum member), 2nd one I purchased was $110 iwith shipping off Ebay

15. Lashtx

Lashtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMkenNY,
    I am interested in doing this as well can you please post the pin outs for the 28 pin 2012 connector as well as how it hooks to the 20 pin 2010/2011 connector?

Does the Car data display correctly on the older cars?

16. lberry

lberry New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could really use those pinouts as well, picked up the 2012 HU for my 2010 II, but don't want to tear everything apart until I'm sure how the rewire is going to go.

17. sbddude

sbddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I also just picked up a 2012 radio and plan to swap from my 2010.

If I understand correctly:
    • I will need the antenna adapter
    • I need a rear camera, ideally 6V version.
    • Speaker/power connections will connect without any modifications, so I can install it now without camera or phone functionality.
    • I will need a new harness for the rear-view camera, USB, microphone and aux connections...what about the existing aux connection?
    Where is the best place to buy the needed items? Toyota dealer is an option but as was stated the pins are missing. Can the pins be obtained from somewhere?

Do you have the part number (mouser or elsewhere) for the 28-pin connector?

18. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you tell me where you instaled your microphone for the bluetooth.I know you said it was in the overhead but was it on the right side or left side in the overhead How did you mount it .Did you have a chance to try it if you did how did it work
    thanks

19. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM MIC position is inside a maplight's compartment.

20. IMkenNY

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The amplified microphone I procured was out of a 2012 Prius V map light unit. My 2011 Prius 2 had an empty spot to accommodate the microphone.
    The reported audio quality on hands free Bluetooth was very good.

EdyJun likes this.