1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - Kenwood Navigation Install Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 5prius5, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 5prius5

5prius5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I recently traded in my 2005 Prius for 2012 Prius two. I am thinking about the following setup for the aftermarket nav and the backup camera. I have been reading the forums but most of the posts are old and the links to the parts are not working. As I had some specific questions I thought I start a new thread with the actual links to the parts.

All in all this setup will cost roughly $1000, with install, so want to be sure. Also, if there is a shop in Chicago which you have used for installing please recommend.

Head Unit:
    Still deciding which one to go with, so if you have any experince please share.

DNX570Hd, 6" Screen:

DNX890Hd, 7" Screen:

Steering Wheel Control:
    This is the only one, so I will go with that. If you know where I can buy this for less than $50, please let me know.

Kenwood Bypass Plug:

Backup Camera:
    I wan the OEM setup so I was thinking about this camera, but I dont think it comes with any cables. How would I connect it to the head unit? Any suggestions?

Double-Din Kit:
    I will order the "55405-47080 " kit from the below website, I think this is the closest match to the OEM, this is instead of Metra or Scoche.

Find Toyota Parts at Discount Toyota Parts - DiscountToyotaParts.com

2. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I am no expert but I have a little experience with a lot of the stuff you are inquiring about. Someone else may agree or disagree and hopefully they chime in to help you out. I can tell you that the OEM camera works off of 6 volts and you need 12 to work on aftermarket head units. Someone in the know can make it work but I don't know myself how to do this. As far as the steering wheel controls and the bypass....you want to make sure the models listed that it works for obviously match the model of head unit you are installing into your car! Not difficult and self explanatory. Kenwood makes head units with decent Navi programs. I think they still use Garmin. problem is that when you start getting into the higher model numbers say past the 6 series....they become problematic. Very glitchy, slow to respond to a lot of different things, they shut down and reboot, and freeze. This has been some negatives about kenwood for a few years now and I don't know why they can't improve that stuff! But 5 and 6 series worked and sounded pretty good to me and again while I may not be an expert....I am pretty picky with my audio equipment. I am in the middle of building a high end system right now.

3. 5prius5

5prius5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks drowssap for the info, greatly appreciated.

Regarding backup camera, if I dont go with the OEM, is there any others which look the same but are 12v?

I had Kenwood 6180 I believe in my 05 and loved it, no issues. This time I want to go with the premium model to get the apps which can be connected with my mobile data plan. I guess I should do some more research before ordering the unit, thanks again.

4. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're very welcome! I can't comment on the quality of other cameras as I have always tried to keep my OEM unit. It's actually a pretty good camera. The stereo I am installing in my car is only a single din which means I will be losing that big screen to display the cam for me but I really want to keep it so I am installing the Gentex rear view mirror with the small LCD display and Homelink. I have it in my Tundra and it works exceptionally well! Gentex is actually the manufacturer for Toyota's OEM camera stuff so that should speak for their quality. As far as running apps....remember you are running them through your phone so really all you need is bluetooth capability and control all of your apps through the phone.