1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Plug in - run flat goo refill?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by trih3522, Mar 10, 2014.

1. trih3522

trih3522 Junior Member

Hello. I have a 2012 Plug-in Prius. I had a flat and used the repair kit in the trunk. Since the car does not support a spare tire how do you get a refill of the goo? I asked my dealer and they didn't have a clue.

Thanks everyone!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A kit that is similar to yours (link below) injects the sealant using an included compressor and available from Amazon for $76. The "Slime" kit sealant is said to be compatible with tire pressure sensors. You can buy the Toyota kit for around $200 but you are buying the compressor and the sealant over again. Toyota usually rebrands someone else's product and charges double.

Amazon.com: Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt: Automotive

The "Slime" kit refill is a 16oz can that says Auto/Truck model 10010. Ebay shows a different Slime model 10010 which may not work. Those are 8 oz for a motorcycle use. The Fix A Flat refill s10057 is said to be compatible. The Fix A Flat kit that is very similar is here.

A video showing how the Toyota version works:

4. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Trih,
    If you are interested, I have the brand new factory compressor and factory sealant that would be willing to sell. It is from my 2013 PIP I bought Oct 30, 2013 (Sept mfgr date). As I am sure you have found, you cannot buy just the sealant from Toyota. It is only sold as a kit (compressor and sealant). Private message me if you are interested or want more info.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

5. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

That is a different sealant kit than came in my US PIP.

Mike

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just buy a tire plug kit or Slime sealer kit and use the factory pump for filling the tire with air.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    USA Prius.

8. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IIRC, you can't use the compressor without the sealant bottle attached. It's a terrible system that screws up your tire pressure sensor and then empties your wallet. If you lease the car, put it safely away and get a compressor and a plug kit. At least the Nissan version lets you use the compressor to top off tires. (Although I don't use it.)

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are posters that have converted the compressor that comes with the Prius to just air only. I would imagine you can just use the bottle when it's empty.

10. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll trade you your empty goop bag for my full unused one. That way I can use the compressor. Email me at lieblerjatwindstream.net with your address & I'll reply with mine.

11. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd advise against using the onboard compressor to top up tires. It's probably not durable enough to do it long term. You can get one that plugs into the lighter/accessory socket for $20.

12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Too bad you haven't been reading PriusChat. We've said that it's best NOT to use the compressor & Goo Sealant. It makes a mess of the inside of the tire and messes up the pressure sensor. Next time call for service.

13. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I went with a late-model Toyota Corolla donut so as to avoid the sealant route with its built-in hassle and costs if/when an event ever forces me into emergency mode on the road. I know how to change a wheel on the roadside and I know there aren't built-in use costs as there are with the goo sealant use. Many threads here on the subject.

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

Did you also get the jack kit? I don't think there's a jack in the PIP, but I haven't looked deeply into the compartment that holds the goo and pump.

15. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look under your drivers seat.

16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Ah, indeed!

An odd place, but I'm heartened this makes acquiring and carrying a donut spare for long trips a no-brainer.

17. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y)

18. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have used several flat-repair products that are commonly available from auto parts suppliers. Tire shops hate them, and tell you that they will damage the tire, but I have purchased only those products which specifically state: "will not damage tires." I decided to use the dry powder product that is placed in the tire before inflation, and works by "finding the hole" when you develop a leak. It seems to work quite well so far. I expect it will be less of a problem for the tire shop than the "sticky goo."

For a larger leak, these products will not work. Hope you have roadside assistance.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've used a plug repair kit, a couple of times now, on our Prius. Once on an OEM tire, once on a snow tire. Using a kit like this on the road would be more hassle, but leaves you with a tire that's still usable, doesn't mess up the inside of the rim, the tpms and so on. As long as it's a simple puncture in the tread, not a sidewall gash.

With the OEM instance the tire was off the car (while the snows were on), so very convenient. With the snow the tire was on the car, and we discovered the flat at our destination on a shopping trip. In the latter case having a spare (not available with the plug-in :()is a great convenience, allowing me to swap the flat tire out, and do the repair at my leisure, indoors. It happened to be around freezing that day, at least it was dry.

I carry the plug repair kit, and a heavy-duty bicycle pump. In a pinch I could plug repair a tire while it's on the car, and on the ground. More convenient would be to raise the problem corner with the supplied scissor jack, remove the tire, plug-repair it, pump air in and reinstall.

What's handy to take along:

1. Plug-Repair kit.
    2. Pump (either mechanical or 12 volt)
    3. Pair of wheel chocks.
    4. A square of plywood, to provide a stable base for the scissor jack on loose gravel/soil.
    5. Flashlight.
    6. Gloves, grippy, insulated. (virtually a necessity in winter)
    7. Some bright orange retroflective warning cone or triangle.
    8. Spray bottle with soapy water (to check for leaks).
    9. Pliers.
    10. Rags.

This is the kit I've been using, kind of Rolls Royce, but not that much. I got it for less than the website price, around $50 (Canadian).

Kt-340 - BlackJack Tire Repair

20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I disagree with the video that says you can expect a flat tire once every 5 years. I once had 3 flats in 3 days. It's the road, not the tire that is the cause.

DadofHedgehog likes this.